Hi-visibility mono for trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-visibility mono for trout

I'm mostly a spin fisherman and have a hard time seeing clear or green monofilament on the water. In your opinion is a trout's eyesight so good that a hi-vis gold line might spook them?

Have you considered using braid and then running a long fluorocarbon leader off it? You'll get a lot more sensitivity and visual bite detection out of that kind of set up than you'll ever manage with straight mono.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
      Have you considered using braid and then running a long fluorocarbon leader off it? You'll get a lot more sensitivity and visual bite detection out of that kind of set up than you'll ever manage with straight mono.
      I literally just switched all my non fly trout gear to this setup Dylar is talking about per the advice of another forum member. Braid to flouro leader. Seems like the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
        I literally just switched all my non fly trout gear to this setup Dylar is talking about per the advice of another forum member. Braid to flouro leader. Seems like the ticket.
        Thanks!

What lb. test braid and flouro are you using?

Comment

Varies with application. What kind of gear fishing are you doing?

Comment

Varies with application. What kind of gear fishing are you doing?
            Right now 4 lb test on an ultralight...mostly use floating trout worms, Mepps, Panther Martin spinners.

Comment

Originally posted by richf7 View Post
              Right now 4 lb test on an ultralight...mostly use floating trout worms, Mepps, Panther Martin spinners.
              I'd go with something like 8 lb braid and 4 lb fluoro for that kind of fishing.

Comment

I'd go with something like 8 lb braid and 4 lb fluoro for that kind of fishing.
                Pretty much same setup I used when I spin fished for trout, but I used 10# power pro uni knotted to 4# or maybe 6# fluoro leader and your set.

Comment

Thanks!

What lb. test braid and flouro are you using?
                  20lb braid to 12lb leader with a uni to unit knot. From trout to striper, same setup.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                    20lb braid to 12lb leader with a uni to unit knot. From trout to striper, same setup.
                    That's what I run when I'm chucking hardbaits. A triple surgeon's knot or a slim beauty, works, too.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Iím not as steady on my feet as I once was and donít wade out too far...as a result I get hung up on the rocks pretty often. My vision isnít the best and tying fresh knots is a chore on the water. Would braid tied to a barrel swivel (two eyes...not a snap) with a flouro leader work? I could easily tie those at home and bring with.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Iím not as steady on my feet as I once was and donít wade out too far...as a result I get hung up on the rocks pretty often. My vision isnít the best and tying fresh knots is a chore on the water. Would braid tied to a barrel swivel (two eyes...not a snap) with a flouro leader work? I could easily tie those at home and bring with.
                        Probably be better using the swivel if your throwing spinners, spinners like vibrax and panther Martin's have a tendency to put kinks/knots in the line if you don't allow it to be straightened out some while fishing. Knots in braid can be VERY difficult to get out because how thin the line is.

Comment

Working...
                        X