Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
    ISO, I was just poking fun.
    One of these days we will meet up and fish lol. This is my last year in AL, and quite possibly going overseas again after, so clock's ticking!
    Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Daniel Galhardo will be giving a Tenkara at 2PM on both Fri and Sat. He is the founder of Tenkara USA and he is responsible for bringing Tenkara to the US.

If you want to do some further online reading Google Tenkara Bum, Chris has some great articles.
      "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Tried out the rod today. I'm a convert. Definitely going to get a longer one. Feel a little bit restricted with this one but whats cool is it makes your rethink your approach. Was worried about not having my finger on the line and wouldn't feel takes but not the case at all. You can feel the bottom very well.

Saw a ton of fish darting around in spots but wound up spooking many. Actually hooked into one and had it come undone after a few seconds from inexperience. Water was the clearest I've seen it in a while.

Question: whats a good manageable length for the hooch without going overboard? I'm pretty confortable with 11ft so maybe like a 13-15? I'd like to keep the weight under 80g if possible.

Gout-0 Tenkara-1
        We are the music-makers,
        And we are the dreamers of dreams,
        Wandering by lone sea-breakers
        And sitting by desolate streams;
        World losers and world forsakers,
        On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

My longest rod can fish at 11 or 13. On the hooch I only use the 13(with a 16 line + 4 tippet). I always find myself wishing it was another foot or so longer. 14-15 range will likely be my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at a zoom rod like the Tenkara Sato or one of the Diawa rods. Tenkara USA will be at the Fly Fishing show and there will be a seminar or two.
            I have two zoom rods the Sato which is a good all around. Then I have a Diawa 39 that is stiffer which I bought for using weighted flies. Then for big water and I use it on rivers like the Madison I have a Amagio, it's 13 1/2 ft.
            "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

If I fished rivers like the Hooch in ATL more, which is basically never for me, I would own some long-*** rods. Right now my longest is 4.5m which gives me a lot of reach, allows you to pick apart a stream VERY well.
              For a really big flow, I would love to mess with a 5.4 or 6.2m rod, a two-hander. The ability to reach across different currents, and have no line on the water, makes for a lethal fishing setup.
              Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

I did see a guy working a really long 2 hander once probably 20-25 ft. Don't know if this is still tenkara but its seemed very cumbersome although he did have a very graceful technique similar to push poling through flats.

My biggest concern would be sag developing in a longer rod and affecting drifts. I'm sure this is correctable but my goal is not only to minimize and simplify technique, but also the amount of effort required to perform desirable drifts.
                We are the music-makers,
                And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                And sitting by desolate streams;
                World losers and world forsakers,
                On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Working...
                X