New vs. Old Glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
    Got myself a Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt that I'm going to try at Smiths tomorrow. I already have the 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5 wt but wanted to try some higher end glass for small streaming.....
    The Eagle Claw anglers here may take exception to this statement, as they tell me there is nothing "higher" than a Claw in terms of performance, versatility, multi-use, aesthetics, and "cool" factor.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
      Talked to a few Fenwick guys at the show....there was a consensus that old fiberglass was much more delightfully engaging than the fiberglass now. Not that they're worse. I cast a few and there is definitely a noticeable difference. They even hooked me up with a hat.
      Well, anyone that gives me a hat or a t-shirt is good people, in my book!

Got myself a Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt that I'm going to try at Smiths tomorrow. I already have the 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5 wt but wanted to try some higher end glass for small streaming. I'll post a report when I get back Been meaning to post all the reports I've put off for a while as well
      Originally posted by Streamside Sam View Post
      The Eagle Claw anglers here may take exception to this statement, as they tell me there is nothing "higher" than a Claw in terms of performance, versatility, multi-use, aesthetics, and "cool" factor.
      Higher end? Really!? You hurt me John, you hurt me deep! As @Buckman1 has already pointed out there "is no other better rod" for small streaming than the EC Featherlight (length and actual weight is the only subjective variable in the equation!) I kid (sorta) about this, but I sure hope you aren't going to be climbing any waterfalls with that Butter, $200 stick of butter. Outside of the obvious performance characteristics of the "claw" @Streamsidesam's analysis left out one of those oft forgotten positives of the EC Featherlight: Cost. If I fall and break mine, while my heart and soul will effectively be crushed, for just a little more $ than Gout uses to procure hats from reps at "the show" you could get a brand spanking, shiny, new CLAW
      #allhailtheclaw But good luck with your butter!

Comment

Begone you brandishers of the margarine stick! The butterstick is far superior in every aspect!

Haha all jokes aside I am not bashing the eagle claw guys, y'all know I am on the Eagle Claw train. I have used the same claw since my first bluelining days, and its seen a great many number of falls, scrapes, and battles in the rhodo jungle. In fact, I have two of them in the case that my primary one breaks. However, I got a good deal on this rod and wanted to experience a nice upgrade on the fiberglass action. The warranty is lifetime so in the case I do break it, 30 dollars and a new one is sent. Now in regards to how I hurt you Steve, you know it's all on me and not you lmao

I'll let you guys know how it performs in comparison to the Eagle Claw and if I can convince Richard to join me, he can provide his input as well.

If anyone viewing this thread is trying to get into bluelining there was a good conversation on rods to use on small streams here.
        http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ferrerid=31680

Comment

Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Thats a nice fish. I think I might just get a butterstick just so I can match it to my not-so-slim fit sharkskin.
            We are the music-makers,
            And we are the dreamers of dreams,
            Wandering by lone sea-breakers
            And sitting by desolate streams;
            World losers and world forsakers,
            On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

So as promised I went to smiths yesterday and the water was the highest I've ever seen it. It was a beautiful sight and the fact that the DNR/management of Unicoi added more stream structure and access points made it a perfect day! Richard and I got there early in the morning and I left with 2 in hand and 6 LDR's. Richard stayed longer as I had to head off to my job tutoring kids (anyone in the Gwinnett county area who is looking for a tutor for their children send me a PM! I'll give you the NGTO discount haha) and ended above the 15 fish range as per usual �� . It was Richard's first time at Smith's and it was nice to show him some of my favorite holes there, although we didn't get the chance to fish all of them. Lower numbers than I expected on my part but I just had to get used to the rod itself. The 2 I caught were small rainbows but the rod made the fight so much more enjoyable than horsing them in with a graphite rod. I stayed with Euro nymphing the whole time due to the rapid flow and had a heavily weighted orange glo bug and a little brassie variant up top. I'll have to see if the delicate presentations of dry flies on a fiberglass rod hold true on my next visit with a dry dropper. The length was perfect and the amount of tippet protection and sensitivity of the rod made it a pure joy to cast and fight fish on. One slight detriment (whether it's the rod or myself) I noticed at smiths was that I had to get used to the extra amount of force it takes to set the hook. The tip is so sensitive and light that it can occasionally bounce fish and requires more force to set the hook properly. When I was trying to find that sweet spot I ended up overcompensating and losing plenty of flies to the abundant branches... but then again the amount of thingamabobbers and leaders decorating those same branches alongside my nymphs made me feel a bit better. It's all a part of fishing small streams right?

Last edited by Sighter; 02-09-18, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Wound up getting one of these for a decent price. There was a '61 model that was really nice but was missing the cap on the bottom so got this Robert Kennedy edition instead.

We are the music-makers,

Comment

How heavy is that thing as an 8wt gout? I handled the eagle claw sweetheart and even as a 5 weight it was a weighed a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                    Wound up getting one of these for a decent price. There was a '61 model that was really nice but was missing the cap on the bottom so got this Robert Kennedy edition instead.

Very nice! I have the 3 piece version of that rod, the FF85-3 as it were, and it's a gem, really smooth action with lots of power in the butt. There was quite a bit of variation on the Fenwicks made in the 60's - mine is marked as a 6wt, but I like it equally well with a DT6 and sink tip 7.

If possible, try yours with a few lines in the 6-8wt range and see which suits you best. I prefer DT lines on the old Fenwicks. I'm a big fan of the Cortland Peach lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
                      Very nice! I have the 3 piece version of that rod, the FF85-3 as it were, and it's a gem, really smooth action with lots of power in the butt. There was quite a bit of variation on the Fenwicks made in the 60's - mine is marked as a 6wt, but I like it equally well with a DT6 and sink tip 7.

If possible, try yours with a few lines in the 6-8wt range and see which suits you best. I prefer DT lines on the old Fenwicks. I'm a big fan of the Cortland Peach lines.
                      Thanks...thats actually good to know.
                      We are the music-makers,

Comment

Nice glass fellas. I haven't touched my Clearwater classic and have only been using my cabelas glass rods if I'm fly fishing. They are all one piece which is awesome. Pretty sure I am going to sell my classic and get another glass rod that breaks down. It's so fun to cast and play fish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X