Spinning for trouts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning for trouts?

This may be an obtuse question, but I'm looking for tips on tossing spinning gear with success for them tailwater brown trouts. Mainly for Spencer. I know there is skill and finesse involved, but I'm not that sure of myself about it. We have a Bass pro ultralight, 4 pound test, a yellow rooster tail and a brown trout rooster tail, a small rapala rainbow and brown trout.
    We will be bank or be very shallow wading fishing, like seven year old ankle wading. I've caught many fish on the fly, midges, nymphs, I've never tossed anything larger than an egg sucking leech, no streamers. Do we just toss and reel, like I might for bream and bass? Do I dead drift? Swing? Upstream cast, downstream cast?
    All of the above?
    Spencer has gotten a few small brownies and bows on the tenkara, but I'm hoping he might be able to get into something a little larger with spinning gear.
    We will still take the tenkara and maybe even a small fly setup, but I want him to become a well rounded angler.
    Advice welcome. Nothing is too elementary. I'm really trying to get this boy hooked up this winter.
    Thanks y'all.
    And have fun at "The Show" unfortunately with motocross, ice hockey, and the big game, we are unlikely to be able to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw around structure, seams, rocks, etc... Basically anywhere you would nymph. I would focus more on across and up stream presentations. I got the majority of my luck on rooster tails but rapalas, spoons, panther martins all work great.
    Continuously reel rooster tails and other spinners, but give the rapalas, spoons, etc. some action from time to time whether it’s a jerk or pause. Mix it up.
    Also, with some of the sinking lures play with depth. With standard 1/8 oz rooster tails I heard they sink about a foot a second, so every few casts play with the depth until you find a pattern.
    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
      Throw around structure, seams, rocks, etc... Basically anywhere you would nymph. I would focus more on across and up stream presentations. I got the majority of my luck on rooster tails but rapalas, spoons, panther martins all work great.
      Continuously reel rooster tails and other spinners, but give the rapalas, spoons, etc. some action from time to time whether it’s a jerk or pause. Mix it up.
      Also, with some of the sinking lures play with depth. With standard 1/8 oz rooster tails I heard they sink about a foot a second, so every few casts play with the depth until you find a pattern.

Super helpful.
      Thanks

Comment

Good questions, and I'm interested also...anything to get my kid off the XBOX.

I found a few threads with good info.

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ferrerid=30138

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

thanks dude.
          I guess I should've searched first

Comment

For the type of fishing you are looking to do I would recommend a mepps Agila, just a personal preference. Gold or silver blades

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Before I picked up the fly rod, I began catching trout with spinning tackle on the hooch. I can say the yellow and black panther Martin's and vibrax spinners in silver and a few other colors worked best as far as spinners. The browns that I was able to catch came on rapala countdowns and yozuri pins minnows. When retrieving them give them some steady twitches to make them seem erratic/injured. Fish them close to stucture and cast them slightly above and across the run your fishing is what worked for me. I got a few lures around the house, next time we fish together I'll pass you some of my faves for Spencer to use since I'm not using them.

Comment

Little Cleo gold 1/8 oz
                THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

Panther Martin guy here! They cost more but they are worth it. Black with gold blade is my go to color.
                  Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Definitely try rapala countdowns in silver with black back, and in my opinion the best spinner ever is a 1/8 or 1/16 oz panther martin in gpold blade black body with yellow spots (to spice it up, replace the stock treble hook with a #10 or #8 woolly bugger in black or olive). Heck, you can fish that woolly bugger with spinning gear with a little bit of split shot and/or a float.
                    PETA GO HOME!!!

Comment

Spinners are like trucks. Most folks are die hard Ford (Roostertail) or Chevy (Panther Martin) fans with the occasional Toyota (Mepps). At the end of the day, it's really a matter of what you're comfortable with.

You can definitely catch them on the swing or reeling across current, but the rule of thumb is cast upstream and reel just enough to keep the blade spinning. Work the seams. They are especially useful on those "churning seams" around rocks and ledges, where a fly tends to just suspend in one place.

I learned to trout fish dead drifting a nightcrawler, very similar to highsticking a nymph. By the time I picked up a fly rod, I already had a decent understanding of good drifts, reading water, and how trout feed. I don't remember off the top of my head where bait is/is not allowed on the tailwater, but that might be something to think about as well.
                      The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                        This may be an obtuse question, but I'm looking for tips on tossing spinning gear with success for them tailwater brown trouts. Mainly for Spencer. I know there is skill and finesse involved, but I'm not that sure of myself about it. We have a Bass pro ultralight, 4 pound test, a yellow rooster tail and a brown trout rooster tail, a small rapala rainbow and brown trout.
                        We will be bank or be very shallow wading fishing, like seven year old ankle wading. I've caught many fish on the fly, midges, nymphs, I've never tossed anything larger than an egg sucking leech, no streamers. Do we just toss and reel, like I might for bream and bass? Do I dead drift? Swing? Upstream cast, downstream cast?
                        All of the above?
                        Spencer has gotten a few small brownies and bows on the tenkara, but I'm hoping he might be able to get into something a little larger with spinning gear.
                        We will still take the tenkara and maybe even a small fly setup, but I want him to become a well rounded angler.
                        Advice welcome. Nothing is too elementary. I'm really trying to get this boy hooked up this winter.
                        Thanks y'all.
                        And have fun at "The Show" unfortunately with motocross, ice hockey, and the big game, we are unlikely to be able to make it.

I'm sure I can round up a some tackle to get the young man started off right. I'll PM you later after I pull the tackle together.

There are lots of ways to fish spinning tackle in the hooch and drifting a Crème Worm can be deadly.

Comment

Trout magnet and BB shot. http://troutmagnet.com/trout-magnet.html

Comment

Thanks y'all.
                            Super helpful.
                            Might be a little chilly today, but we are going to try what y'all have recommended.
                            Really appreciate the help.
                            I imagine he'll be slaying brown hooch beasts before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post

I've heard of these trout magnets. Do you toss them on fly or spinning gear, they look small

Comment

Working...
                              X