Broken Rod Tip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Rod Tip

I recently broke the rod tip (about 3 inches) off my TFO Lefty Kreh. My question is, how can i remove the tip ferrule from the broken tip? Should I heat it or drill it out? I really don't want to send it to TFO for repair and don't think the shortening of the rod will significantly impact the performance. Any ideas?

P.S. Don't ask me how the break happened. If you do I will lie to you!

Originally posted by soundsfishy2me View Post
    I recently broke the rod tip (about 3 inches) off my TFO Lefty Kreh. My question is, how can i remove the tip ferrule from the broken tip? Should I heat it or drill it out? I really don't want to send it to TFO for repair and don't think the shortening of the rod will significantly impact the performance. Any ideas?

P.S. Don't ask me how the break happened. If you do I will lie to you!
    The "real" word for that would be the "tip top" or top guide. You can just heat the metal of the guide with a lighter to loosen the glue and then remove the tip top. Most rod makers attach their tips with heat glue for that exact reason, to make replacement easier.

I believe TFOs replacement fee is very nominal. It may be worth it to send the rod in for a new one.
    Jackson Dockery
    sigpic
    My Instagram
    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Send it to TFO they will repair or replace for 35$ including shipping.You will not regret it.
      Catch the energy
      Release the potential

Comment

Thanks Jackson, I will try that. I have replaced shafts in golf clubs using heat and assumed this method would work. I admit that I am not so knowledgeable when it comes to proper nomenclature of fishing equipment.

Comment

Thanks BROTHERBEAR, but I think that I will try to repair it myself.

Comment

Is your plan to remove the tip top and then glue it back onto what is left of the broken tip section? If yes, know that the rod will not cast like it use to as three inches of lost taper will definitely make a difference. It will probably cast, but again it won't be the same. I personally would send it to TFO and get a new full length tip section; that is what warranties are for.
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
              Is your plan to remove the tip top and then glue it back onto what is left of the broken tip section? If yes, know that the rod will not cast like it use to as three inches of lost taper will definitely make a difference. It will probably cast, but again it won't be the same. I personally would send it to TFO and get a new full length tip section; that is what warranties are for.
              But for an angler as poor and unskilled as Joe, he wont notice

When I broke my TFO BVKs, it cost $35 bucks for repair plus shipping, get it fixed right. If you need a loaner I have very reasonable rates
              RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

I will also dogpile and say that TFO has a great replacement program and you would be cheating yourself to not take advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X