No announcement yet.

How to teach a proper net job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love this thread, netting fish is probably the most important aspect of fly fishing that doesn't get enough attention. I have nothing to add in regards to the mechanics as almost everything has already been stated (great drawing Jakk ). Something to keep in mind though is to always have the net wet before netting the fish (I find myself forgetting to do this on bluelines) and that rubber mesh protects the fish's slime coat better than nylon netting. Also the rubber snags your hooks less.. Anyone who has dealt with a barbed hook stuck in nylon mesh knows the pain haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
      Love this thread, netting fish is probably the most important aspect of fly fishing that doesn't get enough attention. I have nothing to add in regards to the mechanics as almost everything has already been stated (great drawing Jakk ). Something to keep in mind though is to always have the net wet before netting the fish (I find myself forgetting to do this on bluelines) and that rubber mesh protects the fish's slime coat better than nylon netting. Also the rubber snags your hooks less.. Anyone who has dealt with a barbed hook stuck in nylon mesh knows the pain haha.
      Getting the net wet before?? Do you have some magical way to net without dipping it in the water?? You must teach me! (just kidding I know what you mean, for those little guys where you barely have to scoop them)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a pretty solid net job

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

She may have known exactly what she was doing and knocked the fish off on purpose to keep you humble. Runner doesn't let me anywhere near his fish with a net. And vice versa.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVaSAlEOnb0

Comment

Well played sir!
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment