Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scott Rod Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scott Rod Repair

    Has anyone had a recent experience with having a Scott rod repaired? According to posts from years ago, folks reported good, prompt service. However, they have had my Radian for over four weeks now. The tip broke off as I was rigging it up. They didn't acknowledge receiving the rod and were not at all helpful when I called to inquire about the status. I don't think they've even touched the rod. I'm starting to lose my patience and don't think I'll be buying any Scott rods in the future!
    If you have never picked up a fly rod before, you will soon find it factually and theologically true that man by nature is a **** mess.

    Norman Maclean

  • #2
    Originally posted by Middle Earth View Post
    Has anyone had a recent experience with having a Scott rod repaired? According to posts from years ago, folks reported good, prompt service. However, they have had my Radian for over four weeks now. The tip broke off as I was rigging it up. They didn't acknowledge receiving the rod and were not at all helpful when I called to inquire about the status. I don't think they've even touched the rod. I'm starting to lose my patience and don't think I'll be buying any Scott rods in the future!
    Just for the record, I also have a Radian that has had the tip replaced 3 times and Scott averaged about 3/4 weeks per repair. When I got it back the last time it now rests in my tying room as a back up in case my 2 TFO rods are not usable. Try calling the office, I did, and got an answer that it was in season and that was about the average time for repair. When you sent the rod back, did you insure it against loss? If so, you can check with the carrier you used and they can tell you when it was delivered to Scott.

    Good Luck.

    Kelly Hinson
    2

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kelly Hinson View Post
      Just for the record, I also have a Radian that has had the tip replaced 3 times and Scott averaged about 3/4 weeks per repair. When I got it back the last time it now rests in my tying room as a back up in case my 2 TFO rods are not usable. Try calling the office, I did, and got an answer that it was in season and that was about the average time for repair. When you sent the rod back, did you insure it against loss? If so, you can check with the carrier you used and they can tell you when it was delivered to Scott.

      Good Luck.

      Kelly Hinson
      2
      Kelly, thanks. Yes, I sent it with tracking and insurance ($26). I know Scott received it. That's about all I've gotten from calling them. I just don't think they have even started a repair. I would hate to relegate such an expensive rod and one that I really enjoy to a backup status. That doesn't say much for Scott rods. At $76 for the repair and to wait over a month and counting doesn't say much for Scott's dedication to their customers.
      If you have never picked up a fly rod before, you will soon find it factually and theologically true that man by nature is a **** mess.

      Norman Maclean

      Comment


      • #4
        Two years ago I broke my Tidal and sent it back. I think it took around 4 to 5 weeks. I also didn't get much confirmation other than that they had received the rod. Definitely sucks waiting but they will send you tracking info once it is shipped back to you. Its a small facility where they build and repair their rods. I just find it amazing that they are able to produce and repair so many rods out of such a small warehouse. https://troutsflyfishing.com/info/bl...de-in-montrose
        "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't get the appeal of Scott rods. They're overpriced, underperforming and as fragile as the psyche of a chick on the rag, and I've never heard a single good word about their customer service. The only thing I can figure is they must give out bro deals like candy.
          Last edited by Dylar; 02-27-18, 11:26 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Middle Earth View Post
            Kelly, thanks. Yes, I sent it with tracking and insurance ($26). I know Scott received it. That's about all I've gotten from calling them. I just don't think they have even started a repair. I would hate to relegate such an expensive rod and one that I really enjoy to a backup status. That doesn't say much for Scott rods. At $76 for the repair and to wait over a month and counting doesn't say much for Scott's dedication to their customers.
            Scott Repairs, Not replaces rods. Although a month turnaround time isn't much fun, I think you can hardly fault Scott. Scott will have to reroll and refit a section to your existing rod, and then of course attach all the guides and whatnot. Scott also typically returns rods in a "restoration" condition. They will usually clean the cork, and rod. The rods look great when you get them back. Sage rods typically undergo a similar wait time, and many times wait times go on a case by case basis. Some rod companies receive hundreds of broken rods a week in busy season. couple that with all the different makes and models those broken rods are, as well as new production, and it is hard to keep up.

            Rod factories seldom make all of their rods at one time. Mandrels will be pulled for a specific model, and a batch will be made before moving to the next rod. We have had rods returned in a few days to a few months at the shop. Some companies, mostly those made overseas do have a much faster turnaround time on repairs/ replacements. Redington, TFO, Echo, ect. Many times they will also simply issue a new rod as opposed to repairing an older model. Of course, most of these companies also have USA based repair facilities.

            As far as the customer service, that is definitely a fault in their system. It is one thing to have to wait for a rod to be replaced, but another if the company cannot even keep you updated.

            I've had my radian for 4 years, left it rigged in the car for probably half of that. Thrown it in truck beds, 3 trips to Wyoming, countless road trips, and tons of time yanking on tree branches. I still honestly believe it is one of the best rods I have ever cast. They are priced in line with other premium USA made offerings. I do think their customer service may be a chink in their armor. In my experience TFO and redington have had great customer service.
            Last edited by ferrulewax; 02-27-18, 09:57 PM.
            Jackson Dockery
            sigpic
            My Instagram
            Unicoi Outfitters

            Comment


            • #7
              I just had my Radian tip replaced and it took around 4 weeks or so and this was also over the Christmas/New Years Holidays. They didn't contact me at all but once the rod was ready they sent me the tracking info where they were sending it back. I had actually emailed them to check on the status and the reply email came back the next day and it also happened to be the day it was shipping back to me. I am thinking that it was just a coincidence but who knows for sure.

              Comment


              • #8
                Two years ago I had my tip break on my radian just before a trip to Montana. Called and ask about repair and explained my trip. Sent it out and they said they would try and get my rod back in time. They did get it back just in time

                Total repair time about 2.5 weeks. Was very happy.

                I have several high end rods but really like this one best. Overall was pleased with service.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                  I don't get the appeal of Scott rods. They're overpriced, underperforming and as fragile as the psyche of a chick on the rag, and I've never heard a single good word about their customer service. The only thing I can figure is they must give out bro deals like candy.
                  Not to confuse the issue but the rod was given to me as a result of joining Trout Unlimited as a lifetime member which I planned on doing anyway.

                  I would not purchase an expensive rod with as fast action as the Radian has since my skill level is not there but my TFO's are definitely stronger rods in that they take my fishing style much better. Drops, trees etc.

                  Scott customer service is poor at best but they have repaired the rod 3 times at no charge so I cannot complain about that.

                  Kelly Hinson:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can only attest to my love of the Scott A2s I own in varying weights and lengths. I have put them through the ringer and not a problem yet. I'm expert at not checking my back cast and catching tree limbs. I sacrifice a dozen flies on most full days of fishing.


                    "Not every Soldier is a Joe"

                    You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Scott customer service

                      I would like to add that while their lack of communication for rod repairs is not a strong point, I did have a great encounter when I bought my Tidal. The rod had just come out and I went over to Cohutta to test it out. Test casted a 9wt but wanted the 8. I was told that Scott was going to send one out before a trip I had in a couple of weeks. Maybe a day or two later I was told due to the demand, the rod was on back order but the regional Scott rep offered to lend out his so I could have a 8wt Tidal for the trip. I was very impressed that both the Scott rep and Cohutta went out of their way to make sure I had the rod for my trip.
                      "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Took my G2 to The Fish hawk and let them send it in for me. took 4/5 weeks but no issues other than that. Simms repairs have been faster for me, but hey, that's why we all have a dozen rods and three pairs of waders, right??

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X