Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the Amicalola wadable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When is the Amicalola wadable?

    Basically, I've been watching the Amicalola for a week or two now. I want to fish it. I've been watching the discharge and gage height, trying to put data together.
    Link: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02390000

    I've read up that the Amicalola is not suitable for wading when the height is above greater than or equal to 1.5. Currently at 1.18, looks decent.

    Current CFS is 296 which is close to the 25 year median daily. Which basically means it's at a fairly normal discharge.

    Yet, when I asked the wise Jeff Durniak, he says he would not recommend it at it's current state. Cold and dangerous he says. He told me to "ask the experts"

    So.. do any of you have buckets of expert Amicalola knowledge you'd like to dump on me? What am I not seeing in these statistics? I'd really like to visit

  • #2
    I fished it both last week and today and it was fine. Water was almost totally clear today and caught good numbers. Just as with any river or stream though, you always have to be careful. Get out there and see what you feel most comfortable wading in though, everybodyís different.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JHexom View Post
      I fished it both last week and today and it was fine. Water was almost totally clear today and caught good numbers. Just as with any river or stream though, you always have to be careful. Get out there and see what you feel most comfortable wading in though, everybodyís different.
      Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.

      How deep does the Ami usually go?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lumis View Post
        Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.

        How deep does the Ami usually go?
        When I was green I had some rubber waders. I walked too far into the Ami. A cartoon like struggle ensued with me grabbing twigs that broke and eventually clawing onto a rock and slowly grinding off of it with my nails... Ended up putting my feet out, caught some traction and stood upright, waders full. Still had my rod in one hand, I never even tried to use two hands to save my own life.

        I'm glad I didn't die or my dog would have just wandered the river until who knows what.

        Be careful out there buddy.

        Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
          When I was green I had some rubber waders. I walked too far into the Ami. A cartoon like struggle ensued with me grabbing twigs that broke and eventually clawing onto a rock and slowly grinding off of it with my nails... Ended up putting my feet out, caught some traction and stood upright, waders full. Still had my rod in one hand, I never even tried to use two hands to save my own life.

          I'm glad I didn't die or my dog would have just wandered the river until who knows what.

          Be careful out there buddy.
          Well the question be, how deep did were you?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lumis View Post
            Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.



            How deep does the Ami usually go?

            Itíll go as deep as you want it to haha. You can wade most of the river without having to go over mid-thigh if you donít want to. Of course there are spots that are deeper than others though, and just as always, gotta pay attention on where youíre stepping.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lumis View Post
              Well the question be, how deep did were you?
              I have fished the AMI on and off for 4 years and gone swimming a number of times as well with my waders on as well.

              Rule of thumb if at 53 bridge, water table should be below 1.0 and rock tops visible out of the water. If
              you are in the DH area the 2nd concrete pier looks out on a strong run and is deep. take care.

              Wear a life preserver and make sure you are looking at the bottom of where you are walking; you can be up to your chest in a few steps. I am an old fart but can assure you that if you go fishing there use caution.

              Kelly Hinson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kelly Hinson View Post
                I have fished the AMI on and off for 4 years and gone swimming a number of times as well with my waders on as well.

                Rule of thumb if at 53 bridge, water table should be below 1.0 and rock tops visible out of the water. If
                you are in the DH area the 2nd concrete pier looks out on a strong run and is deep. take care.

                Wear a life preserver and make sure you are looking at the bottom of where you are walking; you can be up to your chest in a few steps. I am an old fart but can assure you that if you go fishing there use caution.

                Kelly Hinson
                I guess you would not advise going just yet with it being 1.18. Though it seems to go down so slowly. With all the recent rain, I'm having trouble believing the gage ever drops below 1 in the spring.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Iíve been fishing up there for the past eight or more years. I often check the gauges on line but mostly just go for it if itís blown out at 53 bridge... go to steel bridge , yes it will be faster water but it much wider there ad can still be waded

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hmm. I've been fishing the AMi since the beginning of the DH. This is all from memory but early on 1.0 was pretty standard flow. For the past few years that seemed to drop to .75 or .8. Seems recently it is up around 1.0 again. I've waded it up to about as high as 1.5 but it was pretty serious flow at the time. I would not go in above that unless you are as study as a tree. All that is a personal choice that you have to decide. Be safe.

                    Lots of drop offs also in that river.

                    One last thing, put a change of clothes in your vehicle if you are new to trout fishing in the cold weather. You will eventually need it. Hypothermia can be dangerous.
                    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lumis View Post
                      Basically, I've been watching the Amicalola for a week or two now. I want to fish it. I've been watching the discharge and gage height, trying to put data together.
                      Link: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02390000

                      I've read up that the Amicalola is not suitable for wading when the height is above greater than or equal to 1.5. Currently at 1.18, looks decent.

                      Current CFS is 296 which is close to the 25 year median daily. Which basically means it's at a fairly normal discharge.

                      Yet, when I asked the wise Jeff Durniak, he says he would not recommend it at it's current state. Cold and dangerous he says. He told me to "ask the experts"

                      So.. do any of you have buckets of expert Amicalola knowledge you'd like to dump on me? What am I not seeing in these statistics? I'd really like to visit
                      I was fishing the Ami two years ago at this time and pushed my luck just a little bit with higher than normal flows. Long story short, I stepped in a hole next to the bank and one mile later was hauled out by my fishing buddy when I caught an overhanging branch. That was two years and two surgeries ago. My left knee has very little meniscus left and a biopic knee is in my future. Be VERY careful and don't push your luck.

                      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                      -Henry David Thoreau

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Everything about this creek seems very dangerous. I'm going to have to wait it out a little, seems unforgiving to a new fly fisherman.

                        Thanks for the info!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          On top of the danger danger warnings above, it was cold as hell today...
                          -skunked

                          Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                            Hmm. I've been fishing the AMi since the beginning of the DH. This is all from memory but early on 1.0 was pretty standard flow. For the past few years that seemed to drop to .75 or .8. Seems recently it is up around 1.0 again. I've waded it up to about as high as 1.5 but it was pretty serious flow at the time. I would not go in above that unless you are as study as a tree. All that is a personal choice that you have to decide. Be safe.

                            Lots of drop offs also in that river.

                            One last thing, put a change of clothes in your vehicle if you are new to trout fishing in the cold weather. You will eventually need it. Hypothermia can be dangerous.
                            Totally agree. A few years ago, it was consistently over 1 on regular flow. Iíve always considered 1.2 to be the real dividing line, but if youíre unfamiliar, Iíd say donít go over 1.1. I know 53 really well and wonít go over 1.3.

                            It fishes the best around 1.1 in my opinion.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Amicalola

                              Iím an old fart with bad knees and donít wade the Ami if the flow is over 280ft/sec. i usually fish the upper sections below Steele Bridge. I found a very useful android phone app called ĎRiverLevelí that gives water level and flow info and in graph form, updated every hour. I check it before I go. I only pay attention to the flow data, not so much the level in the Ami. I ALWAYS use a wading pole.( bad knees) The app has any river where the USGS has gauges. Not sure if the app is available in the Apple Store. Of course you can sign up for river data at the USGS website. I find the app easier to use than USGS.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X