Panama City in October

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panama City in October

I've got a church member gifting me and my wife with a week in Panama City Beach. We'll be there the first or second week of October. What can I expect to catch if I carry my 8wt, where can I fish, flies to use, Outfitters in the area?

Also, any suggestions for a good place to eat? not interested in dive bars as much as a quieter setting for my wife and I.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Preach my two favorites are St. Andrews State Park and Phillips Inlet They have a ferry out to Shell Island that was cool and the Mrs. would like.
    Captain Andersons has been feeding people since we were kids
    Catch the energy
    Release the potential

Comment

And Thomas Doughnuts
      Catch the energy
      Release the potential

Comment

About 30 minutes west on 30a is Cafe Tango, one of the best restaurants you’ll ever visit. Make a reservation and win husband of the year. Pompano should be around in the surf and maybe some reds. Nick Carter just wrote an article “ the forgotten coast” in Eastern Fly Fishing magazine. Look up half hitch tackle online, they have current and historical reports for the panhandle.

Comment

Bill---Here is a thread from the past where Steve Hudson did a nice Post with a lot of general info about fishing the Pan Handle. Not specific to Panama City (more Destin) but much of it applicable to the entire Pan Handle.

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...d.php?t=102357

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
            not interested in dive bars
            this dramatically diminishes my info.

I'll second the jetties at St. Andrews Park. But if you are going to throw an 8-wt, get there early as it is popular and will get crowded.
            If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

If youre willing to go a little further towards Mexico Beach, Ive had good luck targeting reds in St Andrew Sound in October. Particularly where the points come together. Ive never seen that area crowded either.

Comment

If you want to wade and fish, I had a fun morning in Choctawhatchee Bay early in the summer. You can park on the south side of the bay under the Highway 331 bridge (it's a nice park/boat launch). The bay to the west from the highway is all 3-4' deep and hard bottom, I didn't get into any mud and I covered a good bit of ground. It was my first time in the salt and I only had a handful of home-tied clousers. I still caught a few catfish, a couple reds, and a nice sized sea trout. I also caught fish in the surf right in front of our hotel in the surf one morning. Another guy was throwing topwater plugs on a spinning rod and was catching ladyfish left and right. He said you could catch fish all day in the surf if you could get away from the crowds.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and tips! I'm pretty sure I'll get to fish a couple of days, weather permitting. Just on the outside chance, any guide recommendations? I don't know if it will be in the budget, but just in case.

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

...Bill, there's a spot at Deer Point Dam a few miles North of PC where they have a concrete catwalk (nice and wide) and I have caught speckled trout and mangrove snapper there...

https://www.yellowpages.com/panama-c...-shop-15808796
                    ...there is a bait store right next to the dam highway...Hwy 2321 West...

...I caught the snapper behind the catwalk facing the dam and casting (dropping flip) under the bridge using squid and shrimp..little pieces...

...oh yeah...it's fresh water above the dam and brackish below...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                    Last edited by Counslrman; 08-01-18, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Preach I have an old neighbor ( in both senses of the word lol ) He and his wife usually go down for the month . If his trip is on I will make sure to hook you up. I know you would hit it off. He has got a few things figured out about the area.
                      Catch the energy
                      Release the potential

Comment

That's super! Right now we are looking at being there Oct 4-10 or 11. I'll probably bring a spinning outfit and an 8wt setup. Life is good!

Comment

...I use medium weight spinning rods, 7-8 ft, and 12 lb test line to fish off the beach...used the same at Deer Point...

...can't throw the fly anymore, but used 7-9 wt (depending) when I could back in the day...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Got the 8wt, a box of salty flies, a fish lipper and a pair of pliers. I bought a stripping basket, some 20# fluoro for leader, and some steel leaders. I'm leaving the spinning outfit behind, gonna go long rod only.
                            Leaving out in the AM around 0800.

Wish me luck!

Comment

...Ya'll have a safe trip, Bill...get some R & R and catch some fish...!

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                              X