beach recommendation(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beach recommendation(s)

...I'm taking my 9'0" 4 wt with a 4 wt reel to the beach Sept. 4...I usually take the 8-9 wt for the surf and breakers, but I'm going lighter to fish a secluded canal from which I caught numerous trout, croaker, and flounder last trip on spinning gear...

...QUESTION: what size leader /tippet / etc. would ya'll use for fish under 3-4 lbs. ... ??

Blessings!

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,
    I used to live down on that end of the world and this summer I had my son and nephew catching most of what you describe on 4# test. Using my crappie setups and they didn't have any problem. You can definitely go up especially if you use flouro. 6-8 will handle most everything, I like to go light. Flounder might require a little more just because of the teeth, but you can always use some form of double line knot to help there. Let the rod/drag do the work, you know the deal. Good luck!

Comment

In general, I would go with at least 12 lb fluorocarbon at the coast, just because the beating your leader typically takes from all the abrasive surfaces and the toothy critters. Typically, I fish straight 20 lb in the salt. Keep in mind that those small marsh creeks and tidal canals will often hold substantial reds, fish up to 10-12 lbs. 8 wts are just about as standard in the marsh, canals and lagoons as they are in the surf, for that reason.
      Last edited by Dylar; 08-22-18, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with Dylar. An 8 wt is useful for many other reasons, besides having the necessary backbone for bigger fish; casting in windy conditions, casting larger streamers/poppers, casting further. Id prefer catching a 12 inch flounder on an 8wt than loosing a 20+" redfish on a 4 wt. I never use less than 12lb test leader when fishing inshore. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

The 8-weight recommendations are good ones...

...because you never know what's swimming around in there!

Also, if you take your 4-wt, be sure it's built to withstand the rigors of saltwater. Some otherwise excellent freshwater rods just don't do well when faced with salt. That might be the voice of early experience talking there...!

It sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

Best,

Steve

Comment

All I know is you had better post some of those great Kathy enjoying the beach shots when you return.
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

st simons -cath 4 crop.jpg

...St. Simons...2018...

Blessings!

Jimmy
              Last edited by Counslrman; 08-22-18, 12:13 PM.

Comment

...this time next week, God willing, we will be fishing and sunning and eating real fresh seafood...

...we are completing plans for cat care, mail recovery, etc. , etc. ...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Enjoy yourselves!
                  BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                  Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

...the forecast is rain all week...hope they are wrong...maybe I can slip out between showers and catch a few flounder, whiting, or croakers for supper...also, Cath loves to crab and we have a crab basket...throw some chicken backs in there, and she's good to go ...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Rainy Days

Nothing wrong with rainy days at the beach - I actually like them. You get to watch the storm over the ocean with an unobstructed view seeing the storm move in or away. Good time for reading a good book with your favorite beverage in hand. And yes, even for me that is a just a good cup of coffee and a good book next to the window. As for getting out, it's just rain! My bride says sugar melts and salt just hardens so it's safe for me to be out. I love beach walks in foul weather if for no other reason than you have the beach to yourself and first shot at anything coming in on the morning tide - interesting flotsam and shells.

For fishing - it can be stellar. Like freshwater fish, the dimpled surface gives the fish a sense of enhanced security and can accelerate the bite. I know one of the biggest fish I ever caught was a bull red off Destin beach on a rainy day blowing so hard the sand actually stung your legs.

But I hope it does not rain all week. Either way, you kids have fun!

Comment

...I'm with you John...as long as there's no lightning...cool, overcast days have been some of my most productive, as well...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

...we are here and it is raining...

...uneventful trip...went through Port St. Joe and picked up some shrimp and snapper fillets, along with some other groceries...rain tomorrow, BUT...Thursday and Friday looks better...20% chance both days...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

...caught 1 slot red off pier Thursday...22"...live shrimp...3 sharks yesterday...not a single trout, pomp, or whiting...yet...

...we grilled the redfish and Cath fried some shrimp , also...wonderful ! ...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

...church this AM...taking Cath crabbing after...weather is nice...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                              X