http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish ID request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fish ID request

    I was fishing a smallish stream north of Helen yesterday and caught a couple of these:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ttF5MF4FbkQti2Xf7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bwRcYfW7VySAbHCw6
    My first thought was tiger trout, but I can't find any mention of Georgia stocking them. My fishing buddy and I caught four or five between us, so rare wild tigers seem unlikely.
    Did we catch hybrids, or are these just funny-looking browns?

  • #2
    Looks like a stocked brown trout to me, but I'll let others chime in with their thoughts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by WPrich View Post
      Looks like a stocked brown trout to me, but I'll let others chime in with their thoughts.
      ^^^this^^^

      Comment


      • #4
        German Browns--Brookie killers. Without a doubt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Stocker brown trout.

          About as bad to eat as carp.

          Stocker bows and stocker brookies are ok, especially from colder water. Stocker browns will make you gag, but they are fun to catch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
            Stocker brown trout.



            About as bad to eat as carp.



            Stocker bows and stocker brookies are ok, especially from colder water. Stocker browns will make you gag, but they are fun to catch.


            Lemon, beer, and butter beg to differ sir


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

            "Stop Whining"

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, everyone!

              Thanks for the help, everyone. I guess I hadn't seen a stocked brown trout before, and I had no idea they looked so different from stream-bred browns. This was from the same stream, by the way:
              https://photos.app.goo.gl/H9UfhACUwJBWTgay5

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MDHerron View Post
                Thanks for the help, everyone. I guess I hadn't seen a stocked brown trout before, and I had no idea they looked so different from stream-bred browns. This was from the same stream, by the way:
                https://photos.app.goo.gl/H9UfhACUwJBWTgay5
                This is another stocker.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Stocked brown trout

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not all stocked browns are like these. This variant caused turmoil when stocked in the Delayed Harvest section of the Hooch, but they are browns.

                    Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X