Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing at Buford Dam

I need your advice. I have to ask.
    I am newer to fly fishing. I have fished a wide variety of places.
    I went to the dam yesterday,my second time there and I got to say I am having a hard time enjoying it. The wading is quite hard for me and makes fishing tough. I do have a weak knee due to a meniscus tear operation.
    What are your thoughts? Am I just a newb that will get used to it or should I go to other places that are easier to wade. Are the fish at the dam that much better and plentiful and worth the effort?

Thanks

The water typically clears up late Dec - early January makes the wading much more enjoyable. Itís still slick but at least you can see where youíre stepping.
    THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

A float makes it much easier. Always enjoyed fishing between the dam and Bowmans

Comment

The only place more slippery than the dam is amicalola dh.
        It's one of the main reasons I wet wade. Took a bad spill, filled the waders, scary as ....
        There are fish every where in that river
        I didn't believe it a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be safe out there Rex, but the fishing will get better..Listen to the advice offered on the board and soon your outings will be much more enjoyable...Keep us posted with your progress!!
          Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

I always used a float tube to wade at Buford Dam, especially this time of year when the water is so stained. As mentioned earlier, it is very slick out there and the tube really helps.

Comment

Hey Rex, I met you in the parking lot on Saturday. The dam is about as bad as it gets in terms of both clarity and slickness on the hootch. Once you get past the settles/ McGinnis area the river becomes much more wading friendly.
              One of the things the dam has going for it is stability. Down around Jones bridge where I usually fish these cold snaps seem to have a bigger effect on the fishes behavior.
              Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

When using a float tube at the dam, do you guys use fins?

Comment

Stay away from fins, especially with murky water. Wade by "braille" or feel with your feet. Find rocks to stand on or use to slow down. You will learn the water and where to go to stop to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexabbot View Post
                    Thank you for the replies!

When using a float tube at the dam, do you guys use fins?
                    No. Fins are dangerous in moving, rocky water. The tube is used to save you from a dunking when you step into deep water or slip. Most of the time you will be standing on the bottom. It helps to have a tube with shoulder straps or handles so you can lift it up when wading trough very shallow water. Otherwise it will trip you.

Comment

The dam is tough to wade but you do get used to it. Studs and felt sole boots make a big difference. Beware the slab rocks. Gravel is easiest wading but sometime you have to cross the difficult areas so go slow.
                      These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
                      -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Working...
                      X