WMA's during hunting season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMA's during hunting season

My friend and I were out on the upper part of Dawson WMA to do some trout fishing. We hiked about a mile in and got encountered by some hunters saying that we could not be there during firearm hunts. They showed us on the dnr page and it was true. Luckily they were nice enough to give us a ride out up the mountain. My question is what are the rules for being on trails and where can I be and how can I find out when these dates are that I can't be out on the WMA unless I'm hunting?
    Last edited by FMJHP; 11-12-18, 11:07 AM.

Originally posted by FMJHP View Post
    My friend and I were out on the upper part of Dawson WMA to do some trout fishing. We hiked about a mile in and got encountered by some hunters saying that we could not be there during firearm hunts. They showed us on the dnr page and it was true. Luckily they were nice enough to give us a ride out up the mountain. My question is what are the rules for being on trails and where can I be and how can I find out when these dates are that I can't be out on the WMA unless I'm hunting?
    Can you post that link here?
    Because I know that I've been fishing during hunting season.
    Dawson from what I hear is heavily populated with hunters, but not trout... so I hear.

Comment

Pasted from the Fishing Rules & Regs section titled "Places to Fish":

" Wildlife Management Areas"
      "Unless otherwise posted, fishing is allowed on WMAs according to statewide regulations".

What you need to know is was it "posted otherwise" for Dawson and where would that posting be?

Comment

I think they may have been mistinerpreting the special regs for Dawson WMA. During firearms hunts, the bike and horse trails are closed but I’ve always read that as for cycling and horseback riding since the posted rules at the trailheads explicitly say no cycling or horse riding during firearms deer hunts. What tract were you hunting?

That being said, wearing lots of orange is always a good idea even if it spooks fish. I don’t set foot on a WMA outside of June-July without an orange ball cap and an orange vest.

Comment

What did they show you? Perfectly legal to fish during hunting season.

Here are the special regs for Dawson WMA

Special Regs

Only bucks with 4 or more points (1 inch long or longer) on one side of the antlers are legal. Horse and bicycle trails are closed all day during firearms deer hunts and before 10:00 a.m. during archery and turkey seasons. Special rules apply to horse and bicycle use; rules are posted at trailhead. Trail permits are required for horse and bicycle use. Roads on the City of Atlanta tract are closed to vehicles daily from 10:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m. except for individuals legally camping, hunting, or fishing on the area. Trail permits are required on the City of Atlanta Tract. Permits must be completed and on person to be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
            What did they show you? Perfectly legal to fish during hunting season.

Here are the special regs for Dawson WMA

Special Regs

Only bucks with 4 or more points (1 inch long or longer) on one side of the antlers are legal. Horse and bicycle trails are closed all day during firearms deer hunts and before 10:00 a.m. during archery and turkey seasons. Special rules apply to horse and bicycle use; rules are posted at trailhead. Trail permits are required for horse and bicycle use. Roads on the City of Atlanta tract are closed to vehicles daily from 10:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m. except for individuals legally camping, hunting, or fishing on the area. Trail permits are required on the City of Atlanta Tract. Permits must be completed and on person to be valid.
            Yep. I've hunted and fished at the same time on Dawson.

Comment

They were mistaken. Itís perfectly legal to fish DF during a hunt.

Comment

Youth or Quota Hunt maybe?

Comment

Sorry if this highjacks as not my intention. I know less about hunting in the WMA than trout fishing or women for that matter.

Is there a concern fishing the DH, if I stay on the path close to the stream from Steel Bridge downstream? I travel pretty far down the path.

Last year I did buy a cheap vest, but no one else was wearing, so I kept is neatly tucked away in my jacket.

Riding a bike or a horse through a hunting tract seems rather adventurous. Tie on some antlers and a white tail, and wait for Darwin to show up.

Comment

I guess we were in the right to be there, but at the same time we had no orange on. I have no interest in hunting so I never really think about the hunting season nor getting shot at by some hunter on public land being mistaken for a deer. It blows that we left that day, but we did end up fishing somewhere else and catching some natives.

Im glad that so many responded, next time I will exercise my right to be there (and safely with orange on during hunting season) and be sure to check regulations on the wma/trailhead sign.
                    Last edited by FMJHP; 11-12-18, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I guess we were in the right to be there, but at the same time we had no orange on. I have no interest in hunting so I never really think about the hunting season nor getting shot at by some hunter on public land being mistaken for a deer. It blows that we left that day, but we did end up fishing somewhere else and catching some natives.

Im glad that so many responded, next time I will exercise my right to be there (and safely with orange on during hunting season) and be sure to check regulations on the wma/trailhead sign.
                      Did you catch anything there before you left?
                      -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                        Did you catch anything there before you left?
                        We did not, sadly. we had hiked down the mountain and just got to the creek when we were confronted.

Comment

Get the Outdoors GA app. Besides being able to manage your licenses, it has all the regulations.

Always wear an Orange Hat, no need for a total vest and do NOT wear anything white.

Comment

Working...
                          X