Stream/River recovery times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stream/River recovery times

A couple of buddies and I have a trip scheduled to fish somewhere in NC on Saturday. Waiting to see what the rain is going to do to us. So anyway, as I was driving home tonight in he pouring down rain listening to the forecast for more rain I got to wondering. In general, what streams and or rivers in north Georgia seem to recover the quickest after a couple of days of rain? For example, I would think that the DH section of Smith, given it's proximity to the dam, might bounce back pretty quick. But what do I know, I've only been to the few places I have tried so far once.

Basically anything behind a dam, and most small streams clear out faster.

Comment

Lumis is spot on. Smith Creek is fishable right now. It will fluctuate levelwise, but remains fishable. Higher elevation streams recover quicker than lower level streams. Tailwaters recover almost immediately, but the further you go downstream and more feeder creeks are added, increases the recovery rate.
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

The fish got to eat and eat during the rain, eat in high water, eat in muddy water. Folks who throw the 8# on the Hooch, prefer stained water during the rain. It's usually the human who need it to recover so they can be comfortable.

Comment

Sure, the fish have to eat when their water is high and murky. But lets not forget that free flowing streams and even tailwaters can be flowing like crazy after rains like this. There is a major wading safety factor at play here!

Of all the Georgia DH streams, the only one I could see maybe being fishable by this weekend is Smiths Creek. The rest, forget it!
          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

This is Smiths. It wasn't very wadable and most folks wouldn't attempt. There was about 6 folks all day and we slayed them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
              This is Smiths. It wasn't very wadable and most folks wouldn't attempt. There was about 6 folks all day and we slayed them.
              Yep, that was right after a major storm dumped several inches of water the night before. This picture is upstream of the culvert hole, toward the dam. Everybody caught fish that day...and caught a bunch of them!
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Yeah Iím trying to fish Fern Valley on Friday but with more rain today and tomorrow Iím not sure itís doable. The gage at Hwy 197 is reading 8 feet (4 is more normal) but peaked at 13.5 last night!

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?023312495

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                "What's his offense?"
                "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

You might be ok. Just call Marty and Glad. They'll give you the straight scoop. If you catch it while it's clearing, it fishes great.

Comment

Any idea what the upper tailrace might be looking like by Saturday morning?

Comment

Working...
                    X