Cold Weather Boating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Boating

This question is for those of you who fish from a boat in the colder weather. What do you wear for those cold days? I was looking at a pair of Walls overalls tonight but wanted to do a little research first.
    Overalls vs. coveralls? How heavy can you dress and still effectively cast?
    I don't have any cold weather fishing gear, so I'm counting on y'all for advise.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Hi Bill,

Layers is the key. Ideally it is helpful to have a dry place to store layers as you add and remove.

Wool socks are a must, and I like my Goretex boots to have dry feet. Long underwear if it is real cold, jeans, and Goretex overalls. A wicking base layer on top if it is real cold, then a long sleeve cotton short, and a long sleeve fleece. Add a lighter coat to keep the restrictiveness down, and then a Goretex rain shell to keep out the wind. It is surprising how much the last shell adds to your comfort. I like a neck gator that I can also pull up over my ears, a ball cap, and a knit cap to top it off, maybe one with a Gortex liner if it is real cold or wet. I also carry multiple pairs of gloves in case it rains, all Goretex, so I can swap out to dry ones as they get wet inside over time as water runs down your arms and your wet hands keep going in the gloves. The little heat packs are good in your gloves, and if it is really cold, the ones that you stick on your socks under your toes are great. The gloves are only for boating, it is bare hands when casting.

This is all for boating on the lake, looking for stripers in cold weather. On the river, the overalls and jeans would be swapped for fleece pants and waders.

I hope this helps.

Mark
    The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Thanks Mark, exactly what I was looking for!

I may have to leave Santa a detailed list this year...

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

A pair of ski bib overalls can be had for little money and they are light weight and they shed water. I think I paid around 25$. Much better if you go overboard god forbid.
        Catch the energy
        Release the potential

Comment

WallyWorld had Walls bib insulated overalls for about $60. I have several pair gloves, wool wading sox, long sleeve T's, neck gaiter, hats, but nothing for heavy outer wear. I've got a good idea now of what I'll need.

Comment

Mack's prairie wings windtamer products. They're cheap but quality. The only way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Mark is spot on. Not surprising, as much time as he spends on the water.

I discovered something last week that should be obvious. We fished several days up in Tennessee the last couple of weeks, and I went to a third light long underwear, top and bottom and the difference between two layers and the third was quite noticeable in a good way. I go with wicking fabrics all the way. They are more comfortable and more effective retaining heat if you take a dunking. They also dry faster.

The other thing I discovered is that even 15 or 20 miles from the closest dam, when TVA is generating 63,000+ cfs, there will be some noticeable current in the river.

Comment

For really cold I like a base layer of under armour. Then a layer of good long underwear like duofold. Not your cheaper waffle patterns. For pants I then wear a pair of snowboarding pants which are light, windproof, and have just a little insulation. Up top Iíll wear a wool sweater. I think wool is king for colder weather. Iíve really wanted to get a pair of wool pants but just havenít pulled the trigger on those. Then I have a goretex jacket Iíll wear for my shell. I have a fleece jacket that zips into the shell that sometimes I add and sometimes I donít. Just depends on how cold. For socks I wear a light pair of wicking socks with a good pair of Smartwool over them. For a hat I wear a fleece lined wool sock hat thatís the bomb! Gloves, like Mark bring multiple pairs because you will keep getting them wet and need to swap them out for dry ones. And a neck gait or to keep that wind from blowing down your collar.

Comment

What kind of life jacket do you guys like to wear over all the winter gear? I wouldnt mind picking up an inflatable.

I also notice FM mentioned waders on the river but not the lake. Any reason? I guess to get out and wade? I used to wear mine in the boat on rainy cold days but I've grown paranoid about falling out with them on. I've never taken a swim but I've had friends fall out, and I nearly lost my balance and went over the other day. I fish off the nose of my boat so it's not like I'm down in a drift boat with 2ft sides.

Comment

I'm new to this boat thing this seasons so I can't speak for cold weather gear on boats but I did regularly wade-fish during cold snaps with temps in the 20s.

For really cold winter days, I wear a pair of thick fleece sweats under my waders. I also wear smartwool mountaineering socks. On top, I layer up with moisture wicking stuff but mostly it's a moisture wicking T-shirt, then a thick fleece sweater, then a wind-breaker of some type. I wear a beanie and a pair of gloves. I can be pretty comfortable in the water that way except my hands. No matter what, once hands get wet, I can't get them warmed up. I usually keep a pack of hand warmers in my pocket too.

On the boat, I'm planning on wearing waders during really cold days. I can't launch my boat without at least getting my calves wet so I think the waders will help. And if I wear waders on the boat, I plan on wearing my life vest just in case.
                    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

One item that hasn’t been mentioned is your PFD.
                      I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                        What kind of life jacket do you guys like to wear over all the winter gear? I wouldnt mind picking up an inflatable.

I also notice FM mentioned waders on the river but not the lake. Any reason? I guess to get out and wade? I used to wear mine in the boat on rainy cold days but I've grown paranoid about falling out with them on. I've never taken a swim but I've had friends fall out, and I nearly lost my balance and went over the other day. I fish off the nose of my boat so it's not like I'm down in a drift boat with 2ft sides.
                        I've worn waders on the boat before i bought some rain gear. I'll wear the waders if I plan on wading or need to get wet while launching. Prob not the best for lake running. I have an inflatable LJ, but hardly ever wear it, except were required.
                        Dennis C...""Giving Stripers everywhere a bad day!!""

Comment

I don't intend to wear or have access to waders in the boat. Hopefully I can find a First Mate to help loading when I get back to the ramp. Launching won't be an issue.
                          I have multiple PFD's in the boat, and I wear the same PFD when motoring that I wear while in my kayak.
                          I have a date with my wife to take her to Academy Sports to help her pick out my Christmas presents....Doufold insulated underwear and a fishing bib overall. With my present gear, I should be in pretty good shape. Thanks for all the hints and "must haves".

Comment

Where are you all doing your cold weather boating. I have a small propane heater for cold mornings. Fire extinguisher mandatory.

Comment

I'm planning on fishing Russell....but I'm not ruling out other lakes.

I'll leave the heater for the deer hunters.

Comment

Working...
                              X