Indicator rig on 3wt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator rig on 3wt

This may not be the right place but I'll start here. I recently got a 3wt set up. 7 1/2 ft rod. I've fished it several times using a indicator rig which consists of a round thingamabobber indicator with various fly combos. Ususally something like a wooly bugger or prince with a midge underneath. Problem is I keep getting these wicked ugly "wind knots". I did some research and decided I was casting too hard so I backed off and still have the problem. I tied on a single dry fly the other day and everything looked beautiful. I tried switching from a DT3wt to WF 4wt line and that didn't seem to help either. Any ideas as to what to try for the indicator rigs? Shorter/longer leader? Been using 5 and 6x tapered leaders. Tippet length? distance between flies etc.? Any thoughts appreciated.

Might try have fly on bottom.
    And make sure you are sorta round casting, lobbing....
    That's been effective for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, when fishing with this rod, what does your setup typically look like?

As someone who almost ALWAYS uses an indicator, I've noticed that I tend to get my indicator knotted up when I try to wind up my cast behind me more than once or twice. So I guess the best advice would be to keep that to a minimum. I imagine you don't need to cast super far with a three weight.

Comment

When I fish indicators I have hooks in them....big bushy stimulators work great. When working creeks and moving waters I do best with roll casts and water hauls. Try to keep back casts and false casts to a minimum. When you do, open up your casting loop,and let your back cast extend fully behind you before starting your forward cast.

(Dang, I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about!)
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I knew you were gonna say that indicators need hooks! Iíve borne that it mind over the years. Now if I could just remember to open up my loops....
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
            I knew you were gonna say that indicators need hooks! Iíve borne that it mind over the years. Now if I could just remember to open up my loops....
            I fished with the yarn indicators for many years, and I don't know how many fish hit the indicator. I've had fish hit those bobbers as well. Funny thing, I never had a bream to hit a red and white float...even fishing tenkara style with a bamboo pole.
            BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
            Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Those bream are jusí too smart, Preacher! (Not something you expect to hear too often!)
              - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
              Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Slow your cast down....
                Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
                believe that the river is empty.
                Henry Van Dyke

Comment

Slow your cast and open your loops.

Comment

Iím with preacher on using a dry for an indicator. My 3wt is just a hair under 6ft and Iíve accepted that it just wonít cast a true indicator right worth a hoot.

Comment

Finally got a chance to go back out with the 3wt and put your suggestions to work. I was happy with the results. Thanks to all of you.I do have another question in regards to using a fly as an indicator. Is there a rule of thumb as to what size dry fly will support what size dropper? If I want to drift a rubber legs through a pool will a dry fly work or do I need to stick with a thingamabobber thing? I know I can try it but I'm lazy and I feel like my eyes only have so many 6x tippet knots left in them so I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Working...
                      X