Fly Fishing With GULP Bait? Is This ever "O.K.?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scallen2112 View Post
    I think he was catching more trout, having more fun, and is probably an all around happier person because of his flexibility to life's challenges.
    Nice one!
    “Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration.”Izaak Walton

“If only I may grow: firmer, simpler, quieter, warmer.”Dag Hammarskjöld

Comment

Originally posted by mhender8 View Post
      ...I mean I know people out west who frown upon san juan worms. At the end of the day it is all about having fun though, so no one should ever criticize someone for having fun as long as its legal.
      Exactly. Elitism is what initially kept me away from fly fishing when I first was invited a few years back. I pictured stodgy English gentleman on private trout waters with hip boots, bamboo rods, creels and funny flat caps encouraging each another with phrases like "jolly good catch" and "brilliant cast, Butterworth!". While I'm sure that element does exist somewhere, I'm glad that behavior is largely kept to the most elite of country club golf courses and off the public fisheries here in the US South.

I'm as romantic as the next guy when it comes to fly angling (its history, scenery, colorful fly names, etc.) but I never could stand pretension in any form. Izaak Walton, that esteemed philosophical angler said it best when he wrote, "God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling". And on that, I emphasize the innocent aspect of the pastime.

So my is, let them catch fish (as long as it's legal and their adhering to angler's etiquette)! So let there be no strife between the "Brothers O' the Angle"!
      “Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration.”Izaak Walton

“If only I may grow: firmer, simpler, quieter, warmer.”Dag Hammarskjöld

Comment

I don't consider myself an elitist, but I I gotta ask why? I'm sure most, if not all, of us started with conventional gear before we got into flyfishing. I know for me, I got into fly fishing because of the challenge. After all, it is called Lflyfishing," and believe it is so called because of the use of artificial flies.
        Using bait just sort of defeats the whole purpose for me.

Now, I'm not gonna look down on someone for doing, and I can understand using it as a last resort to avoid the skunk. But I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MatchboxWhistler View Post
          I pictured stodgy English gentleman on private trout waters with hip boots, bamboo rods, creels and funny flat caps encouraging each another with phrases like "jolly good catch" and "brilliant cast, Butterworth!".
          You just described my dream fly fishing trip.
          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLPlJGcwXc0"]Complete Angler - Chapter 2 - YouTube[/ame]
            “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
              I have fished powerbait on a fly rod before, and a bamboo rod at that!
              Bill, your my hero!
              "To be is to do." - Aristotle
              "To do is to be." - Niche
              "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

Ah the time honored and noble tradition of......bait fishing!

That was pretty cool, Jason.
                "To be is to do." - Aristotle
                "To do is to be." - Niche
                "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

That's a great video, Jason! thanks for sharing! Do you know of any other well made fly fishing documentaries or movies online like this? Or have any offline recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by DestinJames View Post
                    That's a great video, Jason! thanks for sharing! Do you know of any other well made fly fishing documentaries or movies online like this? Or have any offline recommendations?

Here's the complete film.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2nRfnpWxw"]The Complete Angler - Full length version - YouTube[/ame]

I have a bunch of others on DVD but I don't know to many online.
                    “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Thank you! I'm getting sick of watching "A River Runs Through It". lol

Comment

I Think we have had a similar discussion before. I am still not accepted in the fly fishing community. Lol
                        I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post
                          I Think we have had a similar discussion before. I am still not accepted in the fly fishing community. Lol
                          Randy, you're all good in my book. I hope to make it down there this summer with my 7wt and some plastic worms to catch some of those shoal bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post

That's cause you put all of us to shame catching 30 shoalies in an afternoon. Not because of chunking plastics.

Comment

For The Record

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                              No. No. No.

Have to go to three "no's" before NGTO will let you post.

Ha. Somebody this weekend mentioned my reply to this thread and I said "Huh?"

In the future, should I post some troll-type reply at midnight on Friday just assume alcohol was involved. In retrospect there should have been some type of dramatic exaggeration like, "Nnnnooooooooo!!!!!" to get the tongue in cheek effect. Also, should I ever use the term "heathen" or talk about the only proper flyfishing way is, "using dry flies, fished only upstream, using only bamboo and silk, wearing plaid, etc."...that too is usually tongue in cheek.

Back to the original question, if you want to flyfish with stank scent and talk about it to folks...I would look at it kind of like "cussing". There are some very reverant traditional flyfishers (even on NGTO) who have great passion about the sport...and there are folks that don't care how they catch a fish. If you don't want to offend, be wary of whomever's company you are keeping.
                              If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                                I have fished powerbait on a fly rod before, and a bamboo rod at that!
                                Who'd a thunk, fishnpreacher is a heathen!
                                If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Working...
                                X