Fly Fishing With GULP Bait? Is This ever "O.K.?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
    There are some very reverant traditional flyfishers (even on NGTO) who have great passion about the sport...and there are folks that don't care how they catch a fish.

You think it's loaded!?
    “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post

You think it's loaded!?
      Huh?

Stupid 10 character min.
      If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

who cares?

You are fishing for non-native fish that only exist because the army corp of engineers built a water retaining barrier (take that filter) and ruined a perfectly good shoal bass river. Lets face it, as far as trout fishing is concerned, the hooch is pretty lame. You can have some great days out there, but if you had to choose between a good native western trout fishery and the hooch, you would choose the former every time. I'm super proud of the fish I have caught on the hooch that are over 17 inches, but to be honest, I have caught and released more quality fish in one day out west than I have in my entire life on the hooch.....and on hoppers at that! If you are fishing on the artificially created, and in the grand scheme of things, "kind of lame" trout fishery that is the hooch, who cares what technique you use to catch 10" trout! If you don't have a boat, your fishing options are pretty limited, and your chances of catching a large trout are low (Yes I know that you all caught a 20" brown that one time while wading, but you know what I mean). Why not give yourself the best chance to catch a fish during your limited time on the water. Most of the people catching good fish on the hooch are pulling streamers and casting plugs....techniques that "purists" look down upon. Some purists won't even fish nymphs. Some people don't fish worm or egg imitations. Some very egotistical and very vocal fishermen out west only skate flies for steelhead and think they are somehow better than nymph fishermen. Where do you draw the line? If you enjoy catching a large number trout just to have fun, DO IT. If someone "thinks its wrong" that's their opinion, and a silly one at that! I haven't fished power bait on a fly rod because I didn't even know that you could effectively and I'm not convinced that it would work any better than what I'm doing now. If I thought I could catch more or larger fish that way (and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't if you know how to nymph fish properly), I would give it a try! Just remember, if someone "doesn't think its right" that you are catching more fish than them while you are following all applicable regulations, they are just jealous!

Comment

Go ahead and do what make you happy that is legal. But, call it what it is, it's bait fishing with a flyrod, it's not fly fishing, there is not fly involved. I have done it with spinning reel, weighted bobber and crickets, it's great fun, but it's not flyfishing. I have a ultralight spinning rod I can cast a flyline with, but that is not spin fishing either.
          Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Gotta love the " we don't do that here" quote
            http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-...r-key-but-why/
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by scallen2112 View Post
              Bill, your my hero!

And any man who fly fishes in a tuxedo on his wedding day ain't too shabby either!

Have a blessed day my friend!
              How's your back?
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

"...flyfishing purity lasts only as long as the other guy is not catching fish with a spinning rod." --Hooker
                The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Last few late summers I cheated catching "bream" on the fly by adding a piece of grasshopper to the hook. But I only did this to save time getting cut bait for my catfish juglines. After the jugs were out, I would fish for carp with an unscented fly. Personally, I cannot condone using a scented fly or bait on a fly rod except in extreme neccessity such as this.

G

Comment

Originally posted by cgarofalo View Post
                    You are fishing for non-native fish that only exist because the army corp of engineers built a water retaining barrier (take that filter) and ruined a perfectly good shoal bass river. Lets face it, as far as trout fishing is concerned, the hooch is pretty lame. You can have some great days out there, but if you had to choose between a good native western trout fishery and the hooch, you would choose the former every time. I'm super proud of the fish I have caught on the hooch that are over 17 inches, but to be honest, I have caught and released more quality fish in one day out west than I have in my entire life on the hooch.....and on hoppers at that! If you are fishing on the artificially created, and in the grand scheme of things, "kind of lame" trout fishery that is the hooch, who cares what technique you use to catch 10" trout! If you don't have a boat, your fishing options are pretty limited, and your chances of catching a large trout are low (Yes I know that you all caught a 20" brown that one time while wading, but you know what I mean). Why not give yourself the best chance to catch a fish during your limited time on the water. Most of the people catching good fish on the hooch are pulling streamers and casting plugs....techniques that "purists" look down upon. Some purists won't even fish nymphs. Some people don't fish worm or egg imitations. Some very egotistical and very vocal fishermen out west only skate flies for steelhead and think they are somehow better than nymph fishermen. Where do you draw the line? If you enjoy catching a large number trout just to have fun, DO IT. If someone "thinks its wrong" that's their opinion, and a silly one at that! I haven't fished power bait on a fly rod because I didn't even know that you could effectively and I'm not convinced that it would work any better than what I'm doing now. If I thought I could catch more or larger fish that way (and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't if you know how to nymph fish properly), I would give it a try! Just remember, if someone "doesn't think its right" that you are catching more fish than them while you are following all applicable regulations, they are just jealous!
                    You are my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by cgarofalo View Post
                      I enjoyed your post. My Dad canoed the Chattahoochee from ATL to the Gulf Coast before the impoundments, before Buford Dam was built (mid 50's). I still have that canoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                        You just described my dream fly fishing trip.
                        I'll admit that this is definitely one of mine as well, but minus the exclusivity!

Have you seen any write-ups on the Arundell Arms on the Tamar in southern England? It'll make you salivate...

But BACK ON TOPIC , I'd like to see one of those British fellers use some GULP when no one else is looking!
                        “Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration.”Izaak Walton

“If only I may grow: firmer, simpler, quieter, warmer.”Dag Hammarskjöld

Comment

I guess this is the time and place to admit it. I have worm guts on the handle of my fly rod. Can I still come to the fling?

Comment

Originally posted by Pappy View Post
                            I have worm guts on the handle of my fly rod. Can I still come to the fling?
                            If ya bring a side dish. Food smoothes over many differences. Admitted bamboo blasphemer fishnpreacher could be NGTO president because of his Roosevelt Beans alone.
                            If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Its a personal decision but for me its like taking a mulligan or moving a ball to a better lye in golf, you are using shortcuts to score instead of developing your talents.....to each his own
                              "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
                              Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                                If ya bring a side dish. Food smoothes over many differences. Admitted bamboo blasphemer fishnpreacher could be NGTO president because of his Roosevelt Beans alone.

Heh, heh, heh......

May not make it to the Fling. My wife's brother will be having knee replacement Mar 24, and it looks like we may be headed to Brunswick that week.....

(I might be able to sneak off a few afternoons for a little fishing)

We will see, we will see......
                                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                                X