Fly Fishing With GULP Bait? Is This ever "O.K.?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing With GULP Bait? Is This ever "O.K.?"

Last Winter I came across a fly fisherman on the Hooch near JB who was pulling in fish left and right. After changing my fly many times, I finally went up to him and asked him what he was using.

He said, "Well, I'm not proud of it, but I'm using GULP Bait. Sure can make a bad day's fishing an O.K. one!"

And I wasn't sure what to say... All I could say was, "..Huh."

It seems **** near blasphemous to the sport, but is it any different than those guys out spin casting with GULP or worms?

I would love all of your takes on this. I personally would only do this in times of survival I guess, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

What do you all think?

I'm prolly gonna be condemned to the place other than heaven fer sayin' this, but as long as you're not in a "artificial only" area where scented lures are prohibited, I'd say to go ahead an' have at it if it looks like you're fixin' to go home with a big skunk! (Be nice, though. Name 'em Henry an' release 'em since you kinda-sorta cheated.) Be judicious in the use of such tactics as it'll lower your overall skill as a fly-fisherman. I say it's okay just to avoid the skunk.
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Well said!

Comment

No. No. No.

Have to go to three "no's" before NGTO will let you post.
        If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

I think he was catching more trout, having more fun, and is probably an all around happier person because of his flexibility to life's challenges.
          "To be is to do." - Aristotle
          "To do is to be." - Niche
          "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

Attend Fishbreath's "Dead Free Drift" Seminar @ The Spring Fling and you won't need Gulp. It's FREE also.

Comment

That Gulp bait trick seems a little lame to me but that's it Jim

Comment

Piscator used worms

Nick Adams used grasshoppers

The idea that you must only use artificial flies for fly fishing is as much a fiction as well Piscator or Nick Adams.
                “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

If you have to ask you know it's lame to use.
                  "If you aren`t fishing out West.... well you`re just plain fishing"

Comment

Personally, I would never use it. When I first moved here and found out about this Y2K "bug" it blew my mind that fly fisherman were using a fly that to my knowledge doesn't imitate anything... But now I use it all the time on the hooch because it works. I'll just make sure to clear all Y2Ks out of my fly box when I visit my guide friends in Wyoming this summer. I mean I know people out west who frown upon san juan worms. At the end of the day it is all about having fun though, so no one should ever criticize someone for having fun as long as its legal.

Comment

I try to keep an open mind about fishing, as long as the technique or practice in question is legal. I may not do it myself, but I have no problem with others who enjoy it.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

I have fished powerbait on a fly rod before, and a bamboo rod at that!

Purist or not, if its legal and fun, have at it!

Didn't I see some of NGTO's finest fishing with Barbie and Sponge Bob spinners on the DH a couple of years ago?
                        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Assuming it's legal, fish the way you like and don't worry about what other fishermen think. It's your fishing trip....enjoy and pass it along.

Comment

I bet that's how hoochbuster catches all those big dukes fish!
                            Georgia Tech ChemE: Class of '18...or '19...or '20...
                            Instagram: garrett_gresham
                            Team DD

Comment

Only dry flies and only up stream

Comment

Working...
                              X