This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browniez,

Good point...you never know what will get them going on a given day. I really have become a fan of adding chartreuse into some flies as a trigger color. Black/chart and white/chart have been two very consistent producers for me.

Ever fish black/blue? I have some friends that love throwing that color combo in the winter months.

Rich
    "Fish hard or go home!!!"

Comment

Never black and blue, but black and purple has taken good fish here consistently. I'm just a bit superstitious about bright blues, not a fan. It just doesn't seem natural, but it works.
      I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
        Never black and blue, but black and purple has taken good fish here consistently. I'm just a bit superstitious about bright blues, not a fan. It just doesn't seem natural, but it works.
        Bright blues are good in lakes, but I don't like 'em in rivers.

Now black and purple, yep, love 'em in the Hooch. Purple Haze!

FM
        The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I like to tie a little weight in some of them and work in sections where the depth will drop off quick so I can throw a little dead drift action as I let my line straighten out below me. Just keeping enough control to feel them love tap it a few times.

Comment

Good thread and since the book Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout by Kelly Galloup hasnt been mentioned, it is worth a read.

I read this book to see if I could apply any of the techniques into jerk bait presentations only to find out streamers were essentially designed to mimic a jerkbait.

Jerk baits work great for trout but there are a few disadvantages IMO. They're heavy and get thrown very easily. Streamers have far less weight for the fish to throw. The feathers and hair have a great movement on pause whereas the jerkbait has nothing unless twitched.

I've been experimenting some time now with throwing streamers using spinning gear, TX rigged and Carolina rigged with mixed results. I'm still playing with the weights, though I've had the most luck with a pegged bullet weight at the streamer.

There may be some tying gear in my future to play around with some brighter colors as the streamers I've found are mostly natural, whereas the jerk baits come in a variety of brighter, attractor type colors. If I were to tie some, I'd also like to add weight to the mid section and not just the nose to maybe level out the swim as the nose weight seems to jig some...

PS: Streamer Chronicles series on YouTube is also a very good watch.

Last edited by JerryG; 10-09-17, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X