Tip for Tying an Easier Improved Clinch Knot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for Tying an Easier Improved Clinch Knot

We see a lot of anglers who struggle on-stream when tying the most basic knot most fly anglers use, the Improved Clinch Knot. Fishing guides learn early on that the quicker they can tie on a fly, the better the odds are their client will catch fish. On another message board this morning, a new fly angler was bemoaning the amount of time he lost fishing because he spent so much time tying this knot. To help him understand, I produced a short video that we now have up on our website. It's a great trick and one that may help you keep your fly in the water more. Here's a link to the video.
    Jimmy Harris
    Unicoi Liars Club
    Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Great video, Jimmy. Thanks a lot for putting that together.
    I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

Comment

I like that. You be surprised at how much more fishing you can get in by just
      Practicing your knots.
      dink
      Last edited by dink; 12-03-15, 03:26 PM.
      Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
      believe that the river is empty.
      Henry Van Dyke

Comment

Thanks Jimmy. Do you prefer the improved clinch knot over the Davy knot?
        "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Great video Jimmy. Newbies take note some days you have to tie lots of knots.

Comment

Originally posted by NealH View Post
            Thanks Jimmy. Do you prefer the improved clinch knot over the Davy knot?
            I'm knot recommending one over another. I learned a long time ago, the hard way, that the best knot for you to use is the one you are most comfortable tying, assuming it's an acceptable fishing knot. The improved clinch is probably the most utilized knot in fishing but certainly nothing is sacred about it.
            Jimmy Harris
            Unicoi Liars Club
            Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

That's how my grandfather taught me to tie the clinch. I teach it the same way. Nice video.
              sigpic
              ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
              - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

Thanks for the video Jimmy. I utilized the technique today on Smith Creek. Had I been alone I would have stopped in for some flies in support of great videos like this. The person with the ultimate veto power had his foot on the gas pedal and he just wanted to get to the Creek. Next time I will stop and buy double .
                Whale Oil Beef Hooked
                - what you say to an Irishman when they buy you a pint

Comment

Rotate the finger that you hang the fly and tippet on, much faster.
                  We are the music-makers,
                  And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                  Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                  And sitting by desolate streams;
                  World losers and world forsakers,
                  On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I agree you lose lots of fishing time when you're not proficient at knots. I can tell a difference in myself - easier around noon, then when I start out in the morning. Tells me - I need to practice at home before I ever wet a line. I'll be putting this video information to practical application for me.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Great tip. I've been tying this knot for practically my entire life and I'm fixin' to go practice this technique. Many thanks for taking the time to do the video, sir.
                      Gene

Comment

Thanks for the video Jimmy. This is great, as I too, spend too much time tying knots.

Comment

Great video, jimmy. Any more videos or tips you could post?
                          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X