How Trout Feed Article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Trout Feed Article

Here is my current article for the Monthly Fly Trout Blog.

I am trying to pass along tips for new fly fishermen and novice fly fishermen to give them more success on the water. Hope you enjoy the read.

https://www.monthlyfly.com/1273-2/
    Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Very good info! Liked it a lot.
    2flysigpic
    Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
    http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
    http://www.2flyguideservice.com
    You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy teaching people about fly fishing so I am putting as much info out as I can. I always seem to find someone new to fly fishing when I am out and will spend time teaching them and sharing knowledge. I need to post an older article for the beginner fly fisherman or woman.
      Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

What a Great read
        "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
        ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Nice article. Always wondered about flashes.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Great read. Thanks!
                Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wes.mcelroy/

Comment

Great article.

A question though... How about when trout jump clear out of the water like dolphins? Are they chasing emergers as well? I see that from time to time and once I had one jump up about 3 feet in front of me in murky water at IF.
                  Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

awesome read, thanks!
                    Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                      Great article.

A question though... How about when trout jump clear out of the water like dolphins? Are they chasing emergers as well? I see that from time to time and once I had one jump up about 3 feet in front of me in murky water at IF.
                      Being pushed to the surface by a 3 footer.

Dream big!

Good read Flickndip

Comment

Great article.

Great question. Many fish jump, in recent years even great white sharks have been observed 'catching air' while hunting seals from the bottom. Dolphins do it to 1) breathe and 2) as a social and communicative behavior (unless trained, then it's simply to impress humans
                        I had a rather large brown jump really close to me at the river, startled me it was so loud and so close and it was clear he was coming up to check out my suspension device dangling in some rougher water.

My hypothesis would be that larger fish leave the water while predating smaller prey; and smaller fish leave the water while being predated on by larger fish. Haha

Comment

JerryG: Haha. That's a good one.

splatek16: It may make sense that they're going after something and something close to the surface and possibly fast moving... since they have to be so aggressive as to jump out of the water and make themselves so vulnerable. I am just wondering what it is they're after so that next time I see them jump out like that, I can switch up the rig to increase my chances.
                          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

JerryG: Haha. That's a good one.

splatek16: It may make sense that they're going after something and something close to the surface and possibly fast moving... since they have to be so aggressive as to jump out of the water and make themselves so vulnerable. I am just wondering what it is they're after so that next time I see them jump out like that, I can switch up the rig to increase my chances.

Heck yeah me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great article.

If you start seeing this behavior, I will typically switch to a dry dropper rig with either a trailing midge, emerged or soft hackle. Another way to fish for them would be to use an indicator about 1-2 feet above your first fly On a 2 flag rig. I like to use a wool indicator if I fish this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X