Net Techniques

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Techniques

Hey there! I'm fairly new to fly fishing and just received a fly fishing net for Christmas. I used it for the first time yesterday but am having a hard time figuring out how to hold, and use it, without it getting in the way while casting. I use a Patagonia sling pack and am wondering if anyone has any tips to help me figure out how to best hold the net?

Stuff it between your wader belt if you are wading easier water or invest in a magnetic release and put it somewhere so if you drop your net, it doesn't float downstream.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1FyK5GSKHL.jpg

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. A sling pack is too bulky for my likings. I use a chest pack and attach it to the clip behind and I can hang my net on there. I also have a fishpond mid length nomad that when I wade in places like Cherokee, I will stuff it between my wader belt.

Comment

I have the Patagonia Atom Stealth, and it's got a little D ring clip thing on the top of the bag, where the strap attaches to it. I clip my net there with one of those cheap ($9) magnet/leashes from amazon, and it works fine.
      Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

there is something called a gear keeper and they are awesome. it has a retractor that keeps the net out of your fishing zone until you need it. I highly recommend.
        I've never met a trout I didn't like!!

Comment

Gearkeeper... magnets are fine but Gearkeeper is great.
          These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
          -- Dick Blalock

Comment

+1 gear keeper. When I had a short-handled net and a vest I used the gear keeper and loved it. Most vests have a D-ring in-between the shoulders and I hung it from there. 2 years ago I switched to a sling, and then about 18 months ago I received the fishpond mid-length net and these aren't as good of a match for the gear keeper .. now I keep it in the top-back of my waders, where the hoop of the net is behind my head. They also make backpacks I believe that have an incorporate sheath for net handles. Have fun!
            "Y'all fishing for stripers?"

"Some buffoon writes something and you guys are gonna jump like little monkeys in a cage for peanuts."
            - Ned Yost

Follow @kjkornegay on Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X