Carolina Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolina Rig

Question about Carolina rigging for bass (sorry if this is in the wrong sub.) I've been bass fishing for a long time, but I just started using a C-rig, and I noticed in shallow water that the weight stirs up a ton of silt and crud on the bottom as you drag it, and the bait trailing it is obscured. Does this matter to the bass? Or can they still see the worm/craw/fluke? Do I need to downsize my weight, or make the leader longer, or slow down/speed up the retrieval?

Thanks!
    Dave

Originally posted by Dsaporsky View Post
    Question about Carolina rigging for bass (sorry if this is in the wrong sub.) I've been bass fishing for a long time, but I just started using a C-rig, and I noticed in shallow water that the weight stirs up a ton of silt and crud on the bottom as you drag it, and the bait trailing it is obscured. Does this matter to the bass? Or can they still see the worm/craw/fluke? Do I need to downsize my weight, or make the leader longer, or slow down/speed up the retrieval?

Thanks!
    Dave
    You might get an answer in the Warm Water Forum, but...this is a trout board, and that is really a forum for warm water fishing reports. I wouldn't expect to get a whole lot of action on a thread about bass fishing techniques, unless it includes fly fishing. Maybe I'll be wrong.

FM
    The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Originally posted by Dsaporsky View Post

Thanks!
      Dave
      A lot of folks even say that's the point of a carolina rig. Makes it look like lure is what's stirring up the bottom.
      -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

FWIW, I'd say a carolina rig is best used in deep water, hence the heavy weight. The splash from the heavy sinker you use with those rigs will be a lot more noticeable (and disturbing/disruptive) to a fish in a few feet of water than one 20+ feet down.
        To address your question though:
        The mud and silt is going to get stirred up whether the rig is being fished in shallow or deep water (obviously you just notice it more in shallow water). And I agree with Skunked, I think it is likely a good thing. Similar to a crankbait bouncing off the bottom, or a crawfish that actually stirs up dirt and mud when it scuddles around. Very realistic.

And the bass can definitely still 'see' it - (hint, they aren't relying on their eyes that much anyway.)

If you weregoing to fish the C-rig in shallow water (for the other benefits of that presentation), i would suggest downsizing the weight some for two reasons:
        1 to avoid some disruption of the sinker splash, and
        2 not needing to get the rig down as deep/as fast
        _yero on instagram

Comment

Originally posted by orey10m View Post
          FWIW, I'd say a carolina rig is best used in deep water, hence the heavy weight. The splash from the heavy sinker you use with those rigs will be a lot more noticeable (and disturbing/disruptive) to a fish in a few feet of water than one 20+ feet down.
          To address your question though:
          The mud and silt is going to get stirred up whether the rig is being fished in shallow or deep water (obviously you just notice it more in shallow water). And I agree with Skunked, I think it is likely a good thing. Similar to a crankbait bouncing off the bottom, or a crawfish that actually stirs up dirt and mud when it scuddles around. Very realistic.

And the bass can definitely still 'see' it - (hint, they aren't relying on their eyes that much anyway.)

If you weregoing to fish the C-rig in shallow water (for the other benefits of that presentation), i would suggest downsizing the weight some for two reasons:
          1 to avoid some disruption of the sinker splash, and
          2 not needing to get the rig down as deep/as fast
          I definitely agree on this! C-Rig to me is a way of covering a lot of water, and deeper water with the big weight. If you want to fish it shallow 8' and under, downsize your weight to a 1/2oz weight from the normal 5/8, 3/4 or even 1oz weight. While some people prefer not to, I always use a bead above my swivel!

Look up the NED rig. I've been using it in situations where I might have thrown a C-Rig and have killed them with it! It isn't weedless but if you're just dragging bottom and searching, you'll be fine. Set it up with a Zman TRD and have fun
          https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

A Carolina rig is great for bass AND trout!

Use the lightest weight you can for the depth you're fishing. Stirring up silt is a good thing, BTW.

A Mr. Twister grub, Texas rigged, with a split shot ahead of it, is a great trout combo.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Split shot in front of fly=C rig
              Catch the energy
              Release the potential

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherbear View Post
                Split shot in front of fly=C rig
                That's what I was thinking, except for the swivel....
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

...I use a bullet weight above my swivel...AND...invert it so the cone is up...it stirs up even more silt and terrestrial grubs that way...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                    ...I use a bullet weight above my swivel...AND...invert it so the cone is up...it stirs up even more silt and terrestrial grubs that way...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                    Now that's unorthodox!

...anything unique to create that 'edge' over other fishermen's presentations
                    _yero on instagram

Comment

Working...
                    X