Questions on fishing for shoal bass with a fly rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on fishing for shoal bass with a fly rod

Alright so I have a 7wt rod and reel that I've had for a bit and just hadn't figured out how to use it and have decided I wanna rig it for shoal bass. Question I have is pretty much the basics, I mean what line should I use(sink tip or floating). What kinda flys and techniques. Any tips would be helpful. Help me catch not only my first bass on the fly but first shoal bass.
    It's the little things that get us through the day, like where am I gonna fish this weekend?

Originally posted by Vance1012 View Post
    Alright so I have a 7wt rod and reel that I've had for a bit and just hadn't figured out how to use it and have decided I wanna rig it for shoal bass. Question I have is pretty much the basics, I mean what line should I use(sink tip or floating). What kinda flys and techniques. Any tips would be helpful. Help me catch not only my first bass on the fly but first shoal bass.
    Definitely a floating line. I Like a 7wt titan taper, or a slightly over weighted line like an MPX or similar, but any floating line should do fine. I just like the aggressive head to help cast bigger flies. For flies- Kent Edmond's Stealth Bomber (he is a member on here), Boogle Bugs (or a similar popper), harry Fodders (Heavy craw-fish pattern) and then just some simple bait-fish flies- like a clouser minnow.

I have the best luck fishing top-water poppers like you would a dry fly, with very natural drifts, twitching only occasionally. make sure to fish it under branches and around lay-downs, as the bass will lie under them to wait for terrestrials. Another good tactic is high sticking a craw-fish around ledges and shoals to entice hiding fish. Stand behind a good looking lie, cast above the rock, and fish the fly like a nymph. at the end of the drift I like to strip it back in to imitate a fleeing crawdad. Streamers can be fished just like you would for trout. Another effective technique can be popper dropper with something like a wooly bugger or RLD below your top-water fly.
    Jackson Dockery
    sigpic
    My Instagram
    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post
      Definitely a floating line. I Like a 7wt titan taper, or a slightly over weighted line like an MPX or similar, but any floating line should do fine. I just like the aggressive head to help cast bigger flies. For flies- Kent Edmond's Stealth Bomber (he is a member on here), Boogle Bugs (or a similar popper), harry Fodders (Heavy craw-fish pattern) and then just some simple bait-fish flies- like a clouser minnow.

I have the best luck fishing top-water poppers like you would a dry fly, with very natural drifts, twitching only occasionally. make sure to fish it under branches and around lay-downs, as the bass will lie under them to wait for terrestrials. Another good tactic is high sticking a craw-fish around ledges and shoals to entice hiding fish. Stand behind a good looking lie, cast above the rock, and fish the fly like a nymph. at the end of the drift I like to strip it back in to imitate a fleeing crawdad. Streamers can be fished just like you would for trout. Another effective technique can be popper dropper with something like a wooly bugger or RLD below your top-water fly.

Dude what a great set of tips. I used to use the popper dropper so much on seatrout back in the day. Then I completely forgot about it. Can't wait to give it a go again.
      If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for now just to get some stuff tied up and hit the water hopefully some time soon.
        It's the little things that get us through the day, like where am I gonna fish this weekend?

Comment

A few ideas here...

flyfishga.com/flint.htm
          Kent
          Fly Fish GA

Comment

Book Kent for a day and you'll learn in a hurry and have a great time.

Comment

I like a front loaded line like the RIO InTiuch Outbound Short. All of the flies mentioned are good and the Stealth Bomber is one of my favorite. But even the lowly Wooly Bugger catches lots of shoal bass. And don't forget the Harry Fodder as a crawfish imitation.

7wt is in my opinion the perfect shoal bass weight.
              I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

...something like this...:

...or my favorite...an olive and black wooly bugger with orange mylar tinsel...

Blessings!

Jimmy

P.S. ...shoalies are suckers for a dead drift near blowdowns and undercut rock banks...
                Last edited by Counslrman; 10-07-17, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X