Tentatively thinking Tenkara

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tentatively thinking Tenkara

I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experience with tenkara fishing, especially on the hooch and if they enjoy it, any recommendations or warnings, etc...
    minimumexposure on IG

On hooch, good
    Small streams in Georgia dont waste your time.
    Can be fun, easy, always have in truck. Do not waste money on some expensive, basically cane pole. Just get something long and cheap. Boom
    Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tenkara rod company has a complete package for like 180 bucks I was looking at
      minimumexposure on IG

Comment

this is what i picked up to see if i would like it.
        https://www.amazon.com/TENKARA-TELES...ds=tenkara+rod

i still carry it in my backpack plus my regular fly gear.

patrick

Comment

If you're going to get a tenkara I would recommend a companion comfortable slouchy beanie that you can also wear in the summer. Also start saying ironic things like "Oh, me too."
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Gout you're hilarious.

But for real. I have a maxcatch tenkara that's awesome, but I didn't pay for it.
            Then I bought my son and I each one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005S...OuL&ref=plSrch

We've reached pulled in over a hundred bluegill, each a2-3 pound bass, and I've gotten bows and browns outta the hooch.

Plus if you lose this, $8....
            If it breaks, 8$

Also ISO6000 has a ton of info on tenkara if you wanna get the k bombs

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
              Also ISO6000 has a ton of info on tenkara if you wanna get the k bombs
              Be careful Bombing anything, especially K. if you do get a warm paper towel. Its supposed to help with absorption.
              We are the music-makers,
              And we are the dreamers of dreams,
              Wandering by lone sea-breakers
              And sitting by desolate streams;
              World losers and world forsakers,
              On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Only good things to say although I have nothing to compare it to. Bought a tenkara rod to get into trout fishing and just havenít made the jump to a rod and reel yet.

Itís fun, I have a Dragontail Hellbender(full setups around $120) and I feel itís really well equipped to fish the hooch. It can throw streamers, heavily weighted flys, double nymph setups. The rod can be fished at 11 or 13í but I sometimes wish the rod was another foot or two longer. I recently paired it with a 16í nymphing line Iím pretty content. Coming from a western setup you might be frustrated with too short of a rod. Takes some time learning to properly land a fish, but thatís part of the fun. I brought in a rainbow last year around 18-20Ē so they can handle some larger trout.

If you are going to invest in a ďnicerĒ rod either make sure the company sells replacement parts or has a warranty(rare). Recently broke the tip section when a beadhead smacked into it. It was a cheap replacement.

Comment

I've been very happy with my Cascade (http://amzn.to/2y7BoeD) with added line holder (http://amzn.to/2znq4P6). I have used it to fish dries and even streamers, but lately it's mostly my nymphing rod for when I come across a deep hole on a small stream. Collapsed, it fits just fine in one of the bottle holders on my backpack, and it takes all of 15 seconds to unwind the line and telescope the rod.
                  Practically, there's not much you can do with a short tenkara rod like mine that you couldn't do with a light fly rod. I've never tried one of the standard 12-15' tenkara rods, and I can't imagine how you would keep one out of the rhododendrons.
                  Advantages:
                  No reel. Super lightweight.
                  Collapsable. This is great for bushwhacking. I don't carry a tube or even sock, since tenkara rods don't have their skinny parts exposed when they're in travel mode (not telescoped).
                  Easy to carry multiple lengths and types of lined and switch them quickly. I know it's not cannon, but I even use a floating line sometimes. There are lots of options for line keepers, here's a cheap one: http://dragontailtenkara.com/tenkara...eid=727a8ab6d8.
                  Disadvantages:
                  No reel. This means that you can't change the length of line at will, so sometimes it will be too long, sometimes too short. But see above about carrying multiple lines.
                  No reel. If you hook a big fish, there's no way to feed him line if he runs, so unless you're going to chase him downstream, there's a chance he breaks your line. I have caught fish up to 15" with 6x tippet on this rod, but I also left a brown in Montana with a fly in his mouth.
                  Casting distance is obviously limited to line + rod + arm. This isn't usually a big deal on a small stream.

Comment

I'll respectfully disagree about it being a waste of time on small streams. I've caught more fish on small streams with tenkara than any other style of fishing, it's just much easier for me. But then, i still suck at fishing and have a lot to learn haha.
                    Big water and big fish is not what tenkara is for, but it can be good at picking pockets on big water, when the fish are small or medium (by American standards), since the average tenkara-target trout in Japan is around our stocker size.
                    I haven't fished the hooch yet, but I bet a long (14 foot+) tenkara or seiryu rod would be lethal out there. I take my 15' to the Sipsey here in AL and often outfish the fly or bait guys. The ability to reach across differing currents and have little to no line on the water is unmatched.

Tenkara Rod Co is garbage for the prices they ask. Won't even sugarcoat it.

$180 for a chinese rod and some lines that probably all suck is too much. You could buy much better (chinese-made) American rod + lines, or a Japanese rod that is tenfold better.

Dragontail Tenkara has several good options. Brent (the owner) is a standup guy.
                    Badger Tenkara has several good options. Matt (the owner) is a super cool dude, very active on social media and actively trying to make his products better any way possible.
                    Tenkara USA is way overpriced, the only good thing I (or most people) have to say about them is great warranty support when you break it which you will (break THEIR rods).
                    Tenkara Rod Co has nothing that makes it better than any other option, other than nice marketing and a pretty paint job.

I fish Nissin and Daiwa rods from Japan. Some are made in Vietnam or China, but most of theirs are made in Japan.

The true joy of tenkara is a well-balanced lightweight rod that is effortless to hold, cast, and makes playing a fish fun. Think about western gear- do you enjoy fishing a cheap, heavy, poorly-balance rod and reel? Or would you prefer a perfect rod from somebody like Sage, Winston, Redington/etc etc etc?

A high-quality tenkara rod is worlds cheaper than a comparable-level fly-fishing rod... We're talking $100-$250 vs $800-$1000.... Then you don't have to buy a reel? Only like $15 for a spool of level line which may last you a year...

My most recent purchase is a Nissin Royal Stage 320 6:4. This is what I took to the Conasauga a few weeks back, and it was perfect there. A little long (3.2m) to go blue lining with, but I have a shorter rod for that. For those that think tenkara is no good at small streams- Why? What can you do on a small stream with a reel that you can't do with an appropriately sized tenkara rod and proper line setup?

Shimotsuke has a new rod that is like $40 from amazon japan. www.tenkarabum.com is selling it in his "Kids tenkara kit" for $75. For $75 it would prob be the best small stream rod available in America, for $40 it's a no-brainer. I'm going to get one "for my son" pretty soon to try out.
                    Here is the 2.4m version:
                    http://amzn.asia/0UCfg2p
                    What is unique about this one is I don't think there is another rod on the market that has a grip and is this short. Pretty much any rod under 2.7m has no grip, as they are keiryu or seiryu rods, not tenkara.

I've had a few of that cheap one splatek linked, and honestly it's a great little rod to play around with for small fish. Feels like a turd compared to anything I fish now, but it's still fun and disposable too.
                    Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the input! There is something in me that pushes towards finding the simplest of a form, like riding a single speed hardtail... I ordered the cheepo one on Amazon just to give it a whirl, I'll share the results and thoughts... now I just need some good zen music to go along...
                      minimumexposure on IG

Comment

man if you like single speeds and aren't embarrassed to say it, you will likely love tenkara. I think single speeds/fixies and tenkara are a good comparison which unfortunately both get a bad rap lol.
                        Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

I love mountain biking but unfortunately my work load is so heavy I can only have one hobby right now... I used to really enjoy crushing dudes on 10k space age bikes on my single speed hard tail... when I retire I will go back to my dream of finally bringing my new sport to the world... I want to combine three gun competition with mountain bike racing... ride from station to station and engage targets but all three guns have to be carried the whole time. I'm picturibg like a 15 mile trail with 10 stations...
                          minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Originally posted by iso1600 View Post
                            What can you do on a small stream with a reel that you can't do with an appropriately sized tenkara rod and proper line setup?

Nothing that I can think of. Maybe enjoy the added weight and annoyance of a reel and a lot of line that you're not using?
                            Last edited by Back Country; 11-06-17, 08:23 PM. Reason: Changed wording.

Comment

Hi Van,
                              Personally I do enjoy Tenkara fishing in its element. Larger rivers not so much but in our smaller waters here in the Appalachians it works great. For sure go for the shorter models, The trees will eat the longer ones. Can a Tenkara rod do anything better than a conventional fly rod set up? probably not. You can get extremely good drifts with a properly set up TK rod and catch a ton of trout. I use Tenkara USA's Rhodo for myself and for Tenkara Guide Trips. It collapses down to a little over 8 feet and is short enough for me to move around in all but the tightest of cover. I take mine on hiking trips anytime I'm near water and don't even know it's in my pack.
                              For Large rivers, I personally don't see an advantage. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions.
                              Last edited by David Hulsey; 11-07-17, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X