Mop fly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mop fly

So Iíve seen lots of info about the effectiveness and fly tying instruction for this trash fly, but not really any info regarding technique. Do you drift it with an indicator? Strip it? Split shot or no split shot. Thanks for any info.
    PETA GO HOME!!!

yes. All of your tactics listed will work. Most will just dead drift it 8" below a splitshot though.
    Jackson Dockery
    sigpic
    My Instagram
    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post
      yes. All of your tactics listed will work. Most will just dead drift it 8" below a splitshot though.
      Would they use an indicator? And what situation would you use the mop fly over a traditional dry dropper or like a egg/squirmy?
      PETA GO HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by del Monte chucker View Post
        Would they use an indicator? And what situation would you use the mop fly over a traditional dry dropper or like a egg/squirmy?
        I would typically use an indicator, although you could drop a mop off of a dry, although it would be alot of weight to suspend with a dry. A mop is just another tool on the toolbox. I typically fish a mop if fish aren't eating typical junk food, or I want to show them something diffrent. Mops are very bright, so they tend to do best for "not-so-smart" fish, or off color, high, or dirty water.
        Jackson Dockery
        sigpic
        My Instagram
        Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

A cream mop is a go to winter pattern for me on creeks that have a lot of crane fly larvae.

Comment

Don't know if I would call it a trash fly. I caught 4 fish over 20 inches a week or so ago using a white mop during a shad kill on the White River. Imitated the shad coming through the dam pretty well. We just drifted under an indicator.

Comment

Working...
            X