Techniques for a 5’6” 3wt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techniques for a 5’6” 3wt?

I’ve had a CGR glass 3wt for a couple years now mostly for fishing dries in small water for bream and stockers. It’s got a super slow action and is shorter than my ultralight spinning gear so it doesn’t throw anything much bigger than a size 10 and struggles with longer leaders.

Are there any other techniques that I could use with this thing other than small drys midges and micro streamers? Better yet do y’all think there’s any niche for it in the hooch from a boat?

At 5 1/2 feet long, it is what it is man! The shortest small stream rod I own is a 6 1/2 foot bamboo and it too is limited in what it can toss. A 5 1/2 foot glass 3 weight is not something I would consider very useful fishing big water like the Hooch.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Buck nailed it. At 5'6" it's a niche rod. Small rhododendron choked streams, possibly overline it with a 4wt line. It should be great for what its designed.
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

The best technique for a rod like this is to roll it up in the sock, put it back in the tube, and list it on Ebay for the next sucker to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
          Buck nailed it. At 5'6" it's a niche rod. Small rhododendron choked streams, possibly overline it with a 4wt line. It should be great for what its designed.
          You bet it is. There’s nothing better for casting under overhanging trees and precision at short distance. I guess I’ll just have to accept that it doesn’t have a place in the boat and make more time for creek fishing.

Comment

5'6 3wt glass is a bit unusual, but will work fine in certain situations. I still have a Fenwick Fenglass, FF535 (5'3 5wt, circa 1972) that I am very fond of, but also recognize it has certain limitations. I also have a 5'9 4/5 wt boo (pseudo Banty) that is best used in a similar fashion. I love them both in tiny, overgrown tribs, and also in the hood pond for bream. I wouldn't bring them out on a larger river (Hooch)..Don't get rid of the rod, just understand where/when it can be most effective - not to mention just plain fun.
            Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Do not believe half of what you read. I have broken the 2# mark several times with my TFO 1/2 weight with BVK Zero reel. 1 weight furled leader 3' length. snatch a whisker off a cat at 30 paces.
              Thanks Watkins.
              Catch the energy
              Release the potential

Comment

Best rod I ever owned was a 4' 10" 4wt cane rod. I probably caught more fish on that rod in a year than I have with any of my others. It is definitely a niche rod though...for the smallest of creeks.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Working...
                X