Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has NGTO activity drastically slowed since last year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has NGTO activity drastically slowed since last year?

The number of new threads and replies seemed to have slowed to a trickle. I even checked my settings but everything is correct. Maybe itís my breath
    All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

It's summer and activity always slows down when the temps rise. Once fall kicks in the activity should increase again. But yes, it's sloooowww......

Comment

No itís been drastically slow since the upgrade. In my opinion less than 5 posts per day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Reports are the life blood of these old forums. Many of the fisherman out there now just do Instagram and Facebook. Some of the best fishing forums out there are feeling the negative effects.

Nearly all of my fishing has switched to striper, though being partially retired now I may post some trout reports this fall.

If you care about NGTO, post a report.

Comment

Also, if you look at the number of people viewing NGTO, there will be over 100. BUT, there will be 10-15 registered users and 100 or more visitors. The summer slump has hit, vacations take their toll, and other seasonal things hit. But yes, there has been a slowdown since before the upgrade. There are other websites shutting down for lack of attention. Carolina Skiff owners shut down a couple of weeks ago. I echo FWF, got a report, post it! Questions? Post them, generate some interest.
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Letís call a spade a spade... NGTO is dying a slow death and has been for a couple years now and itís not because of IG or FB though they certainly do not help. GON fishing forums especially the fly fishing forum is constantly active for a comparison. It comes down to management just like with any business. Good businesses find a way to evolve and stay relevant and NGTO simply has not done that.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

NGTO initiated rules stating no political posting and no fisher lies about how big the fish was so that eliminated a lot of posters 8- )

But I have sensed a decline of new topics, no data to support this, but I have found the quality of the posts to have improved with more thoughtful writing and solid information and questions. Sometimes the temper flare a bit, like the whole thread on managing the Madison, but no one seems to flare out like they used to. For myself, I have initiated fewer posts than I used to, but I have not lived in GA since 2004 so less to comment on.

Comment

Reasons for not posting anymore on my account.
                1. Always someone who has to chime in that they know better than me how to photograph, hold, release fish.
                2. Moderators/Other posters whining about information that shouldn't be out there and then getting their way without the original poster even being notified that there post was changed. Then the moderators just ignoring PM's asking what's up. You know who you are.
                3. Other sites that are more user friendly.

Comment

There's value in each post on this thread. I don't post much because I don't fish much any more, and there are so many other platforms of interest where I spend my online time. So yeah the presence needs to improve to be competitive.
                  Speck

Follower of Christ
                  Pursuer of trout
                  -------------------------------------------------
                  "Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                    Letís call a spade a spade... NGTO is dying a slow death and has been for a couple years now and itís not because of IG or FB though they certainly do not help. GON fishing forums especially the fly fishing forum is constantly active for a comparison. It comes down to management just like with any business. Good businesses find a way to evolve and stay relevant and NGTO simply has not done that.
                    Phil it's obvious you have all the solutions please share with the poor management what needs to be done to help this forum thrive.
                    http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

The last 2 years have changed it.

No one feels like being pontificated at over trout and how theyíre held (being nice may go over better).

Also, a couple of people ALWAYS knows better here. So much so to the point I have seen circular arguments, so the OP ends up arguing against their initial point, just for fun.

Thatís not a recipe for success. No one person knows EVERYTHING.

Iíve gone from maybe 10-15 posts a week to 1-2 a month. It actually comes off as toxic over here.

I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

I made a long post on this subject yesterday, then deleted it because a bunch of it would be misconstrued. Here is a not much shorter but better expressed version.

Like FWF, my fishing habits changed, and I rarely fish for trout anymore. Still, I hung around for the community aspect that I enjoyed. NGTO used to be like a big family/community. We had a good mix of all ages, we shared, we taught, we learned, we did things together in real life, we argued, we got mad but soon got over it, we all pitched in to get it done, whatever it was that needed to get done, and we all added content, regularly and passionately. I think the community aspect faded some over time, then took a big drop more recently largely due to a push for new members, who seem to be less interested in the community aspect of the board, or at least not with a portion of the longer term members, who then dropped away. Unfortunately, those that dropped away carried a large part of the load of adding content, as shown pretty clearly in this thread, were it is pretty much old timers dropping in to make a comment, (I assume) because they still love NGTO, or at least what they remember it being, which is why I am making this post.

I think Phil makes a valid point, and provided a valuable service by bringing up a tough subject. Some honest self assessment may be more useful than a knee jerk reaction to a hard to hear comment. That was supposedly one thing that I brought to the community, and the BOD on my term, being able and willing to call a spade a spade, but most people don't appreciate that kind of feedback, and without the built in respect of a family type of community, "tough love" is soon just perceived as bullying and/or negativism. I think some of this is due to our recent societal trend to be easily offended, and that overly thin skin has a good amount to do with where NGTO is now. This has led to discussions, when they even happen, that are often just pablum, which is poison to a message board.

The upgrade has been anything but an upgrade. It stinks. That is not to slam anyone or the hard work that has got it to this point, it is just an observation.

Y'all be good.

FM

The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I've enjoyed fishing my whole life and after retiring a few years ago became interested in trout fishing. Without this forum I wouldn't have pursued it. I knew nothing about where to fish and when, tackle, wading equipment, lures, tactics, and dam releases. I had dozens of questions which were almost always answered by experienced people in a friendly, helpful manner. There were a few snarky comments about my lack of knowledge and snotty replies about being a spin fisherman but I chose to ignore them. They had nothing to offer. All that aside I'm very thankful for the NGTO members who did so much to help me. I hope they come back.
                          All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Phil it's obvious you have all the solutions please share with the poor management what needs to be done to help this forum thrive.
                            Steve, myself and others have given the BOD plenty of ideas over the past year. Ultimately the BOD needs to choose a side and start persevering with projects that reach out and benefit the fishing community. Get rid of the iron skillet at the Fling and recognize through an award a board member or angler for giving back to the community. Actively working with Chattahoochee Riverkeeper regardless of political affiliations(fish donít vote), take dollars and put them to work with Trout Unlimited for some of the upcoming events they are trying to support. Make it a requirement that each active member contribute at least 8hrs of personal time a year to helping NGTO whether through helping set up the Flings or the Fly Fishing Show. Elect new board members with some younger folks who are young and desire to use NGTO as a weapon for conservation that it can be. Thatís just off the top of my head. Could also take time to go to the local collleges and ask how NGTO can be affiliated with their angling clubs if they have them.
                            I understand why you responded the way you did T and I donít blame you. Thing the BOD needs to realize is where NGTO is is in a worse place than last year pre-upgrade because now with the new format itís not as user friendly to navigate. I agree with everything both Browniez and Fishmonger said.
                            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

Comment

I agree it has declined. The upgrade turned out to be a problem, but no one could have foreseen the impact and we needed to do something. We can't force members to put in time, this is ALL volunteer including the management. Nothing is stopping you from presenting some projects that we can help fund or rally around.

Maybe our President will chime in with some thoughts.
                              http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Working...
                              X