Tom Landreth Memorial Fund Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Landreth Memorial Fund Challenge

Most of you knew Tom Landreth but for the new members let me give you a little background. Tom was a not only a great friend of NGTO but also every other organization that supported Trout. Several years ago Tom retired from his corporate job in the big city and moved to the mountains to chase his two loves, trout and painting. Tom produced some of the most beautiful fishing scenes around and whenever an organization called to get a donation for our fundraisers, Tom was always there.

Tom recently passed away after a long fight with cancer. The Rabun Chapter of TU has started up a Memorial Fund. Here is a description of the fund:

"Knowing of Tom’s love of trout fishing and the Chattooga backcountry; his family gave their permission to establish the Tom Landreth Memorial Fund at Rabun TU with all donations used to help pay for the Chattooga backcountry helicopter stocking program. What a nice way for his family to allow us to honor Tom. "

Well NGTO has decided that we would like to honor Tom also, so we have a challenge. NGTO will match up to $1000 donations made by our members. Here is the way to accomplish the goal.

1) Make checks payable to Rabun TU. In the "For" section put NGTO Matching Tom Landreth Fund

2) Mail checks to : Rabun TU, P.O. Box 65, Rabun Gap, GA 30568

3) The Rabun Chapter will be notifying me of all contributions and I am going to recognize the donors on our website, not the amount donated just their names. If you want to donate anonymously please send a note and we will honor your wishes.

4) No amount is too small. Please give anything you can. It all adds up.

5) Donations will be collected through the end of September. We will then add up the amount that was donated by our members and match it up to $1000.

So the challenge is out there. Let's step up and honor Tom. I will start it out and my check will be off tomorrow.

I want to thank the following NGTO Friends that have donated to the Fund:

Clark Rodgers
    Jack and Beth Tuttle
    Jack and Jan Edwards
    Jeff Fields
    Joseph Sce
    Charles and Doris Morris
    Sam Alatar
    David and Rebecca Hulsey
    Last edited by Grizzz; 07-31-08, 08:02 PM.

Thanks so much for posting this Jeff. I too would like to challenge our membership to step up and support this effort. Tom was a great man who loved NGTO and north Georgia trout fishing and I can think of no better way to honor his memory than to support this memorial fund.

With all money contributed going to support the Chattooga River Helicopter stocking program, you will be playing a direct part in keeping the Chattooga River one of the great wilderness trout fishing destinations in Georgia. BTW, I have witnessed the helicopter stocking process in person and it is a very cool thing to see. Just don't ask me where I was on the river when I saw the helo dumping all of those trout in the water!

All donations no matter how big or small will add up quick and make a huge impact on the Chattooga River fishery for many years to come. And your contribution will also help establish a long and lasting legacy to our dear departed friend Mr. Landreth.

God bless!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I know Tom would have loved this tribute and what it will accomplish. My check is off tomorrow as well.

Comment

This is great! Thanks for doing this, Grizzz - A cool way to honor a cool guy.
        [B]David Cannon
        DavidCannonPhotography.com
        My Instagram
        My Facebook

Comment

If any of you can help with a corporate donation, I know we will accept those also. And I am sure that it would be tax deductible. (Now remember I am not an accountant and you should check with your professional.)

Comment

Hey gang,

I thought I would post the text of an email Grizzz received from the family of Tom Landreth. Your generosity has already been noted and appreciated! If you have not already done so, please take a moment to consider supporting this very worthwhile effort.

Good morning Jeff:

Just wanted to say how much it means to me to know Tom is remembered by so many people. He would be pleased to know that the Chattooga River stocking program will continue for quite some time through the efforts of folks like you and the NGTO subscribers.

Please extend my thanks to all for the friendship and memories created through his/our association with such a great group of folks who want to leave a legacy for future generations!

My best to you. Look forward to seeing you at the Rendezvous, if not before.

June Landreth
            Last edited by Grizzz; 07-18-08, 07:46 AM.

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I hope the lack of silence does not mean a lack of support for the Memorial Fund. If you are sending money and want to put your name up, please do. I want to keep this thread active and really want to push to make sure we hit our goal of at least a $1000 donated by our members. Remember, even if it is only a dollar that you can afford to send, they all add up and we really do appreciate the help.

Comment

Agreed, supporting this memorial fund hits right at the essence of what NGTO is all about. Your contributions will support future air stockings of the Chattooga River backcountry while at the same time honoring a man who was truly dedicated to the betterment of trout fishing for all Georgians. As Martha Stewart would say, this is a good thing!

And Jeff is right, even if it is only a few bucks that you can afford to contribute, it will make a difference as NGTO has pledged to match every dollar contributed up to $1000! Think about it, if just 200 of our over 6000 members sent in $5.00 each, we would hit $1,000 in no time flat!

PS: My check to the Rabun TU went out last week.

Buck Henry
                Simple Goat Herder
                Former NGTO President
                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzz View Post
                  I hope the lack of silence does not mean a lack of support for the Memorial Fund.
                  By no means does silence mean a lack of participation.

Tom and June were constant supporters for all for all of our local and regional organizations. One time I decided to give the Landreths a break from our annual request for donations. When Tom got word, next time I saw him he took me aside and told me if we (GaWomFly, at the time) had an event he could make a donation for, I was to never miss an opportunity to allow him to make a donation. I appreciate his and June's consistent support for GaWomFly, NGTO and TU over the years.
                  FlygURL
                  "Just out there trying to make a difference in a trout's life."

Comment

I wish I knew Tom Landreth first hand

I did not know Tom Landreth, but reading this thread peaked my interest.

I Googled "Tom Landreth" and was rewarded with samples of his art and reflections of his life.

I also came across this Tribute to Tom that others may like to read.

http://www.tom-landreth.com/about.html

I wish I had the opportunity to meet Tom. I think folks like Tom are becoming fewer and far between in our over stressed and crazy lifestyle.

I know we have NGTO members that live the life Tom tried to share through his paintings, but there are many of us still trying to reach that level of nirvana.

I think the Memorial Fund is a real nice way to honor Tom's Life and his love of fishing and nature.
                    Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
                    sigpic

Comment

My Checks in the hands of USPS for a very worthy cause.
                      Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
                      sigpic

Comment

I love seeing things like this. It really fits in with our mission.
                        sigpic
                        ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
                        - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

I wrote the following the day back in December when I heard on NGTO that Tom had passed away. I wanted to add a picture of his but by the time I was able to figure out how several days had passed and it didn't seem appropriate to resurface the thread. I just figured another time would come to add my comments. Here they are:
                          ---------------------

Tom Landreth and NGTO

With 2225 total posts and 304 threads started I felt a need to say a bit more about Tom Landreth on NGTO.

Some folks are talkers. Some are do-ers. Tom was one of those folks that was both. Although a tremendous do-er, what made him so great for NGTO was that he also was a talker and took the time to come on this message board and inform many other folks as well. He was one of those trout fishermen that wanted to help others.

When I first started reading NGTO Tom was one of those folks whom I thought a special type that had a mature, reasonable, sincere, unselfish tone to his comments. The phrase “salt of the earth” comes to mind. When he stated a position on a subject I made very sure to read it thoroughly because it was usually well thought out. He could be ornery when riled but most self-assured folks can be and when he was riled it usually was justified. He knew what it was to communicate and he would try to get along with everybody.

On NGTO he was an advocate for the Rabun TU chapter and for north Georgia trout fishing in general. If something came up having to do with wildlife management areas, the national forests, streams or formal government notices, Tom was often THE MAN that often let the NGTO community know about it first. Common passions in his informal posts were Georgia Tech, the Chattooga River and the good ole USA.

Tom is one of many folks I have met purely because of NGTO. I was truly affected by his dedication and determination. Every year I knew he would put a plug in for the Rabun Rendezvous and the first time I believe I met him was at the 2001 Rendezvous. I think I’ve been back to every Rendezvous since. I found we shared the enjoyment of good bourbon. I believe Dickel was his favorite.

I’ve bought several of his art works including a couple of originals not because I wanted to own “art” but because he painted subjects that appealed to me. And he did it well. After his Ossabow trip I ended up picking this up. It's a photo of a painting so it doesn't do it justice.

Everybody wants to be famous. Most never will be. However, what everybody can do is have a positive effect on others. I don’t know if Tom Landreth would qualify as famous but I know he did affect many people positively.

He will be missed!

---------------

I'm not yet sure how much but I will be contributing to this fund.
                          If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Nice tribute, EG, and well-deserved.

-Milton

Comment

We have had 8 folks donate to the Fund so far. This does not include the Fly Tyers that are involved with the Memorial Fund Fly Swap. Come on all, lets get together and send in some more money. Remember, it does not have to be alot....it all adds up. Even if you did not know Tom this is a great way to make sure that one of our great resources will have the ability to be stocked every year. Please dig deep and donate.

Thanks to the following that have donated so far:

Clark Rodgers
                              Jack and Beth Tuttle
                              Jack and Jan Edwards
                              Jeff Fields
                              Joseph Sce
                              Charles and Doris Morris
                              Sam Alatar
                              David and Rebecca Hulsey
                              Steve and Renee Williams
                              George Schlaughenhoupt
                              Brent Langley
                              Last edited by Grizzz; 08-27-08, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X