Looking for good fly shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good fly shop

I am looking for a good fly shop in or around the Forsyth county area.Anyone know anywhere
    Matthew 5:14

Well that is pretty much set on a tee for someone, I might as well take a cut. Check out the sponsors listed above. I live downtown and have always had great service at the Fish Hawk and Orvis-Buckhead, cant speak for the shops located closer to you.
    Can I soak the felt on my wading boots with CDC dressing and walk on water? If so, should I start a church? What should I call it?
    -FM

Comment

I guess Orvis-Norcross wud be closer to Forsyth.

Comment

Orvis - Norcross has always been good...it always depends on what your looking at doing...if your wanting to get into fly tying venture your way to a fish hawk or unicoi better selections...
        I use dry flies...why just for the chance of the perfect cast, perfect drift, just to see it disappear...and then FISH ON!!!!

2010 Fall Fling Hero Shot Winner - 73'
        2011 Spring Fling Hero Shot Winner - 84' (91' Practice)

Southern Fly Fishing
        http://southernflyfishing1530.wordpress.com

Comment

If you go up to the Helen or Blue Ridge area to fish, Unicoi is a good option. If you prefer fishing the Clayton area there is a hardware store that looks like it has a pretty significant selection.
          The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Anybody know if Hammonds still has fly stuff?

Finding a good fly shop is important, and I'm glad you are considering that issue. A good fly shop can help you avoid mistakes. They do that because they want you succeed, and they want you to have fun for the rest of your life. I consider any of our sponsors to be "good fly shops."

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Alpharetta Outfitters in on Hwy. 9 just south of Windward Pkwy.
              Jimmy Harris
              Unicoi Liars Club
              Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Originally posted by Windknot View Post
                Anybody know if Hammonds still has fly stuff?
                Hammond's has some basic supplies- leader, tippet, a reasonable assortment of standard flies. Pretty handy since they're right around the corner from me.

In addition to Orvis in Norcross, there's a new shop that opened up last year in Alpharetta: http://www.alpharettaoutfitters.com/index.html. They don't have a huge assortment, but they've got all the bases covered with equipment, accessories, flies, terminal tackle, fly tying, etc. The folks I've met there seemed to be pretty decent. Given the location, they should do well.

Comment

If you are ever traveling up I-75,you should check out Cohutta fishing company in Cartersville on the Main street exit.Andy,Charlie, or Brandon will help you out. A lot of custom patterns and fly tying material. Very nice shop.
                  http://www.deepsouthflyanglers.com

Comment

Everyone has made some good points.......not sure what exactly you are looking for. Full service (rods, reels, lines, gadgets, waders, trout info etc...?) or just tippet and a few flies along with maybe some info. Alpharetta Outfitters is your closest shop for sure. Orvis & TFO lines only. Hammonds is certainly good for flies, leaders and VERY BASIC needs. BUT they are open at 5am every day! For full service you need The Fish Hawk, Unicoi, Orvis, Fly Box Outfitters or Cohutta Fishing. NONE are close to Forsyth County. Or just ask Jimmy Harris to make a house call. He is like an old line doctor or Chinese take out..........he delivers

Comment

Originally posted by henryc View Post
                      Hammonds is certainly good for flies, leaders and VERY BASIC needs. BUT they are open at 5am every day!
                      And if you get there too early, before they open, there's a Waffle House right up the street. Not that a Yankee would know anything about fine dining.

Comment

Wow thanks for the responses guys! I think ill check out Hammond's because their right around the corner but i might try and make my way up to the Alpharetta shop too because my birthdays tues and will hope fully be able to get some waders and maybe a new vest
                        Matthew 5:14

Comment

Working...
                        X