No announcement yet.

Best Camping / Fishing Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Camping / Fishing Recommendations?

I'm wanting to sneak away with the wife for a weekend of camping with a little fishing thrown in. Anyone have any great suggestions in North Georgia? Would really like to be on a year-round stream so I can cook a few trout for dinner. Second choice would be a place on a delayed harvest stream so we can at least enjoy the thrill of catching a few.

This is tent camping, not the RV variety.

I appreciate any suggestions and links to websites. Looking at mid-December. Thanks.
    I just work to support my fishin' addiction.

It depends on the level of "roughing it" you want in "tent camping". Try Burrels Ford Campground. It's above the DH on the Chattooga - a year round stream. S. Carolina stocks from the bridge down or it is a very scenic wild brown fishery upriver towards Ellicot Rock. Beautiful place to be. you can also head down to the DH for a chance at those brookies S.C. stocks in there.

http://www.tripleblaze.com/2/3498/Ca...ampground.html

"To be is to do." - Aristotle
    "To do is to be." - Niche
    "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion

Looked it up and looks like a great place for a guys trip, but I need to be able to get my truck to the campsite. My wife like to camp out, but not really roughing it.
      Last trip we went to Rock Creek which was pretty nice, and we may have to repeat, but I was hoping for something new that I had never tried before.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

Unicoi State Park

Unicoi State park has tent sites with easy access. And Smiths Creek is a DH stream at the park.......just a thought.....
        Those sure are puurrtty stars

Comment

Deep Hole Campground? Anyone been there?

Appears to be a year round campground on the Taccoa.
          Sounds like a nice location, but can you fish the Taccoa this time of year?

Thanks for any reviews.

And I will check on the Unicoi park too.

Comment

They are at least 4 nice primitive sites on the Toccoa DH Right
            at Sandy Bottom canoe lunch.Hope this helps.
            dink
            Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
            believe that the river is empty.
            Henry Van Dyke

Comment

You can go to the upper Tallulah. There are three FS campgrounds with water and poopers.
              "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by Kelley View Post
                Appears to be a year round campground on the Taccoa.
                Sounds like a nice location, but can you fish the Taccoa this time of year?

Thanks for any reviews.

And I will check on the Unicoi park too.

Deep hole is a nice little spot..but there is only 1 spot right on the water. This area is upstream of the DH so you could keep what you catch for the frying pan. I don't know the last time they stocked this area but there is usually a few fish in there.

If you camp at Deep Hole it's only a 15 minute drive to the DH section.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kelley View Post
                  Looked it up and looks like a great place for a guys trip, but I need to be able to get my truck to the campsite. My wife like to camp out, but not really roughing it.
                  Last trip we went to Rock Creek which was pretty nice, and we may have to repeat, but I was hoping for something new that I had never tried before.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
                  I was able to drive an Acura sedan to the Burrel's Ford campsite.
                  You have to hike about a hundred or two hundred yards down a road to the campsites proper is all. There are outhouses and flat campsites with bear poles for raising your food at night.

There are also campsites along Warwoman at Earl's Ford (also a year round creek) that I've driven to in a lowered Miata.

Burrel's Ford is nicer than Earl's. Earl's is closer to civilization.
                  Also in the area are campsites along Sarah's Creek. They cost ten bucks a night or so (Earl's and Burrel's are free). I can't remember if Sarah's Creek is seasonal or year round though.

Comment

Deep Hole Campground

So the fishing is year round at this portion of the river?
                    I can actually fish and fry?
                    I just want to be sure before I do something wrong.

Thanks for all the assist.

Comment

Second Burrells Ford

The campground at Burrells Ford really is car camping - as mentioned - you just have to walk about 100 yards from the car. The road in is very nice gravel on the SC side, and only a couple of miles compared to the GA side. Not to mention the hurlin' highway known as Warwoman Road! :- ) We used to use Burrells as the Friday night first stop for backpacking in that area.

Comment

The Toccoa Dh would get my vote for a drive and camp place. Unfortunately there are not a lot of year around drive and park places in GA that offer great fishing. A lot of the park and camp places (like the Tallulah) are also put and take fisheries that don't really receive stocking attention this time of year so you are only going after hold overs.

Comment

Burgers and Dog's

The West Fork of the Chattooga is a great place to camp..You can park close to the actual sites and access to the river is close by..Consider stopping by a local market to pick up some burgers, dog's or whatever else may satisfy your pallets..Nothing wrong with returning your catch to the water..A good time can be had either way..Good luck with your trip..

Tight lines!!

Doc
                          Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Working...
                          X