This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kent View Post
    First "event" i attended was at some school...tying i think.No clue where & was pretty small...

I think Chris Woodall (flytyfish) set that up as he was a football coach at the school....off Roswell Road. The name will come to me eventually. It was a Sunday afternoon and we ordered pizza to be delivered in the cafeteria....I think that was it???
    The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

That sounds right Drifter....
      Kent
      Fly Fish GA

Comment

Dad gum, there's a bunch of old folks on this board! Doesn't seem that long but there has been a lot water go under the bridge and a lot of good information shared here over the years.

Comment

I believe that was at North Springs High School. Old ??--yeah, I was 56 when I joined NGTO. Now I'm 72. What happened ??

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
            Drifter, I actually attended the one on the Hiwassee in Reliance. It was a weekend fling and many stayed in a cabin (I slept in my truck at a campsite). I spent most of night talking about bamboo and drinking some real fine beverages with a really nice young man who I can't remember his name?? He had a short beard and knew a lot about Bamboo... Maybe someone can remember his name...He used to be on the board a lot, but have not heard from him in many years.. I do remember an old post where he was the "poster child" for the NGTO.. (another story)
            raptor
            There's a good chance his name was Gary. He went by Tentwing on NGTO and many of the other fishing boards at the time. Great dude.

Riverman, GrayGhost and Tentwing were some of my first friends from NGTO and if I'm not mistaken that fling on the Wass' was the first time I'd met many of them....and others for that matter.

Keep on Rocking it NGTO.
            Goo Goo Ga Choob!

www.rockytopanglers.com

Comment

Great thread. I have often wondered the same things.
              Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
                There's a good chance his name was Gary. He went by Tentwing on NGTO and many of the other fishing boards at the time. Great dude.

Riverman, GrayGhost and Tentwing were some of my first friends from NGTO and if I'm not mistaken that fling on the Wass' was the first time I'd met many of them....and others for that matter.

Keep on Rocking it NGTO.
                "Tentwing" does sound familiar...Thanks ! I often wonder what happened to many of those that used to post regularly on the board..

Comment

I guess they come and they go. Of the 74 people inducted into the Hall Of Fame over the last 15 years, I can count 30 (40%) that never post anymore. To my knowledge only one of those is deceased.

Comment

Old fishermen never die they just smell that way
                    Catch the energy
                    Release the potential

Comment

This has been a cool thread to read. I enjoyed reading about the history of NGTO and I already had a "hypothesis" on who has been around for a while! Congrats on building a fine forum
                      "And his original destination's just another story that he loves to tell" - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I understand we are the largest Online Trout Fishing Organization in the world. Many of our members are world champions and ranked internationally and nationally.

The great thing about NGTO is we are one big family. I have more friends through NGTO than anywhere else.

Even Buck is my friend.

Comment

For fun, open the Members List and click on the Posts column. That will sort from most to least, and vice versa.
                          "What's his offense?"
                          "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                          ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Wow that took me back. I stumbled across this place in 98 in my first experience with the Internet - just looking around to see what I could find and searched "trout" and "georgia".

The place sure has grown a lot - both in number and in maturity level. I'm not the most sociable fellow, but I have been blessed to meet and fish with a handful of guys here. This board has also been a great way for my eldest (fishinbub) to make some quality contacts both as fishing buddies and in his chosen field of study.

It's been a great run, and though I've been in and out a lot it's nice to know that - like that long-missed favorite stream - NGTO is still here and always ready to welcome you back.
                            Speck

Follower of Christ
                            Pursuer of trout
                            -------------------------------------------------
                            "Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
                              NGTO is still here and always ready to welcome you back.
                              If Gatorbyte is able to log back on when he returns from his trip I'm no longer paying dues around here!!!
                              I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Roy, It's been a while since I've seen a post from you. I'm glad to see that you are still able to type and share some wit and fond memories. I too remember before Lanier was built and avoiding "shiners" in the mountains around Clayton. Ran into one while exploring a small creek off the Tallulah. He was about eight feet tall, weighed about 350 pounds, wore bib overalls and a round felt hat, and had a scraggly beard and carried a double barrel shotgun. He quickly convinced me that I "might not want to go no further". I said "yes sir" and headed back to camp.

Two of my most memorable and enjoyable fishing trips were with you on the Soque at Glad and Marty's place before it was Fern Valley. I hope to see you at the Fall Fling in Nov.

Comment

Working...
                                X