This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $20

This topic has been discussed from time-to-time. Threads on etiquette are scattered throughout the message board so I'll post this one here. We may want to consider "sticking" it here for future reference.

Thank you.....carry on.

Stream Etiquette

Note - this is an Adobe .pdf file.
    Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-28-15, 03:12 PM.
    The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
    We may want to consider "sticking" it here for future reference.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY"]So Let It Be Written - YouTube[/ame]

A good idea!
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Hey Drifter,

There is no file at the end of that link. Keeps giving me an error. Suffice it to say the best policy for on-stream ettiquette is "no fish is worth being a jerk over."
      See you on the Davidson

¡Viva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram

Comment

The site: http://parks.state.co.us seems to be offline.
        "What's his offense?"

Comment

In lieu of the OPs link, maybe this one?

Fly Fishing Etiquette: Don't Be That Guy | Field & Stream
          “Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration.”Izaak Walton

“If only I may grow: firmer, simpler, quieter, warmer.”Dag Hammarskjöld

Comment

Original Link fixed. And repeated below:

https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/p...teBrochure.pdf
            "What's his offense?"

Comment

I've been pondering this for a while...should I make a video about this?
              How do you get over a crappy fishing day? Go fishing again, and again.

http://www.youtube.com/madfishinskillz

Comment

Litter

Frequently, I see litter along the rivers and streams where I fly fish in NC, GA and SC and I really wonder if it's fly fisherman or others leaving the trash. I try to pick up litter that I see and I have taken a plastic trash bag with me in my pack to pick up others litter where I park my truck and where I fish. It gets very old doing this and I am amazed how little some people care about our scenic sportsman areas. Today, I was at the delayed harvest area of the Tuckaseegee River near Sylva ,NC. I didn't have to wonder what kind of fisherman left the trash where I parked because with the other trash were about ten of the cheap little plastic cups that you put flys in from a fly shop. Of course I policed up the area and brought it home with me. When we park along the road on the Tuck, remember that that is someone elses neighborhood and take your trash home with you. You make us all look bad when you trash someone elses neighborhood. I think people that leave garbage where they fish have a lot of guts thinking of themselves as a sportsman.

Comment

Trash

Agreed, i went to upper Chattahoochee this past wednesday
                  With a couple of NGTO members and while I
                  Had a great time. We had a Kingfisher get stuck in a tree (from lures line and bait left in a tree) (well within reach of a small human) and almost die had we not helped.
                  In addition to packing out almost half of a lawn bag of other's trash. Frustrating when I always try to take out more than I bring in. But all in all and was a great day of fishing. And Duke's on a Wednesday can't be beat!!!
                  "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
                  ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Originally posted by mb222 View Post
                    ......Of course I policed up the area and brought it home with me. When we park along the road on the Tuck, remember that that is someone elses neighborhood and take your trash home with you......

Thank you.
                    The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Ode to the Cornslinger

I have often noted the evidence left behind when I fish in "not quite pristine" streams around the region. Although I know that litter is the byproduct of several types of "anglers and other sportsmen", my mind conjures up the following scenario......"Hefty Mae and Dentally challenged Willie Lipnicky decide to go down to the river and ketch them a mess of 'dem finny critters wid a big ol' can of Green Giant corn kernels. Willie say, dem game wardens say we kin kotch 8, but I will take the first 8 back up to da cooler, and den *** back down heer and kotch 8 more. Hey, Heffy...hand me another one of dem Miller Hi Lifes. Willie crushes his last beer can and wedges it down into the cleft of the rocks he is standing on a'fishin. Smokin' his last Marlboro, he slides the empty pack down into the crack alongside the beer can. Little Luther Lipnicky, their 2 yr. old offspring, has been running around behind them on the sandbar. He is sporting a lovely orange Kool-Aid mustache and not much else but a Huggies diaper that is saggin' precariously in the backside. Heffy she up and say, Willy dis heer dyper on Luther is about to get full....the box say it is good fer about 20 lbs and I suspeck it has about dat much in it. Willie say.....just fling it up in dat dere laurel bush. Okay, sez she." Well, I think the state governments sometimes create put and take seasons to occupy certain individuals to keep them from doing too much devilment and winding up in jail. Works for Willie.

Comment

Yelling

The article mentions not yelling at, flipping off, etc. people who break the rules. I have been astonished in my life at how often people want to yell at someone who commits a transgression, often unintentionally. I can tell you this, if you yell at someone, you are going to get a negative response, almost 100% of the time. If I messed up and did something wrong, my impulse is to apologize and avoid doing it again; if you yell at me, I will then become defensive, angry, and have an emotional desire to make your day worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X