Passing of ( Griz ) Garland Stewart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of ( Griz ) Garland Stewart

It is with a heavy heart that I am informing you and the membership of the Cohutta Chapter of Trout Unlimited that Garland "Griz" Stewart passed away peacefully at home this evening with his family close by. He worked tirelessly for Trout Unlimited and positively influenced countless fishermen for decades. His was truly a "life well lived". Please keep Pat and the family in your Prayers.
    I never caught a fish I didn't like

Sorry to hear. Prayers for the family

Comment

Garland was a very dedicated TU member and tremendous friend to the Georgia trout fishing community. On several occasions he built and donated a custom rod for NGTO Fling auctions. He will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
        On several occasions he built and donated a custom rod for NGTO Fling auctions. He will be missed.
        Garland took the rod building class that Dave Edens offered on NGTO back in 2000 or so that (I think) Greg Smith, Harlin Smith and I also took. I always like to joke that I built that one rod while Garland went on to build what seemed like hundreds.

I first met Garland when he showed up at some of the first NGTO flings. He was an unassuming guy who was great to talk to who I came to find out at the time was one of the southeastern representatives to TU National. He always had a kind word, a joke or a bit of trout info to pass along. Until his health started to fail a while back he could be seen at just about every trout function in Georgia and many around the southeast. He was one of the best advocates for southeastern cold water fisheries.

Plenty can be said about Garland but to me the best way to sum him up would be in the words of the Rabunites. He was a good 'un!
        If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

prayers go out to his family

Comment

Garland has done as much for trout in Georgia as anyone since anglers began working with DNR to improve things here. He was a chapter president at Kanooka, maybe at Cohutta, not sure. Served on the Georgia TU Council and was Chairman for a couple of years. Served with TU's National Leadership Council, was a Georgia Trout Camp volunteer every year of it's existence until 2015, and spent countless hours at the Georgia Capital educating legislators on the environmental and economic value of clean cold water and trout. Garland was a top-notch human being and I'm glad to have called him my friend.
            Jimmy Harris
            Unicoi Liars Club
            Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Garland and the family. I never got to meet the gentleman, but I've heard enough about him and even read some articles on his contributions and efforts...
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ~Mark Twain

Comment

Fair winds and following seas, Griz.

Comment

Rest In Peace Griz

Comment

Grizz was a great man, waaa hooo...sip poured for ole' grizz...
                    be at peace buddy. Condolences and prayers out to the family.
                    Will

Comment

Grizz was a large presence in GA trout fishing (and TU). He was active in ways many are not suited for, and he was, indeed, a mover and shaker.

He will be missed.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

http://woodstock.tributes.com/dignit...wart-102753179

In Memory of
                        George Garland Stewart
                        April 1, 1942 - August 11, 2015

George Garland Stewart, fondly known as "Griz," passed away peacefully at his home with his family by his side on Tuesday, August 11th. He was born April 1st, 1942 and always said someone had to be born that day. He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Patricia Slocum Stewart, three children, Christopher Rand Stewart, Zackery Allen Stewart, and Courtney Lynn Stewart, as well as a very special niece who was more like a daughter, Melanie Slocum Hall, plus numerous nieces and nephews.

Garland was an active member of the Cherokee Falls community, Cherokee County Planning and Zoning, and The ROMEO (Retired Old Men Eating Out) club. His passion was volunteering for Trout Unlimited and he thought of the Trout Unlimited community as "family".

He loved fly fishing and woodworking, including building custom fly rods and pens. He had remarkable cooking abilities and loved camp cooking, cooking for friends, and mostly cooking for his family. Garland often said that he did not want sadness after his death, but a gathering of family and friends, with lots of laughter, food, and story telling.

A celebration of his life will be held on Sunday, August 16th, from 1:00 to 5:00 at his home, 1012 Oak Way, Canton, GA. Donations can be made in his memory to: GA Council of Trout Unlimited, referencing 2016 Trout Camp, in Memory of Garland Stewart. Please mail to Ron Minick, 317 N. Brooke Drive, Canton GA 30015.

Comment

Griz

I attended his "Celebration of Life" today at his home. Hundreds of people came by to celebrate a life well lived! The fly fishing community, family, and friends will truly miss him!

Comment

Garland "Griz" Stewart will certainly be missed by the TU Cohutta Chapter and all who support Georgia tout fishing. Between his cooking, volunteering and stories there was always an adventure to be told of. I hope he is standing in a river full of 20 inch trout eating dries in heaven. Fair winds to Mr. Griz.
                            Cohutta Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Comment

Griz will be missed by all. I always appreciated his dedication to TU and the Fly Fishing community. It is a sad day for us all.
                              Capt. Dave
                              Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
                              "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
                              www.flycastcharters.com
                              FFF Certified Casting Instructor
                              Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Comment

Working...
                              X