It's been a year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a year

Hard to believe it's been a year since I caught my first trout on a fly. From the first visit to Alpharetta Outfitters and walking out with the least expensive Orvis Encounter they had since I had no idea if I would enjoy it, from the first little stocker at Rock Creek, then finding myself on the Hooch for an hour or 2 several times a week. With much help and advice from folks on here I muddled through my first summer and even got to where I could catch a fish fairly regularly. Fall brought something called the DH and some great days fishing some new spots with some new friends and a whole lot more fish to hand and the confidence that comes from catching fish. Fall is when I learned that fly rods reproduce at approximately the same rate as firearms, and tying your own is a good hobby when the days get shorter. Winter and spring were mainly spent on the tailwater and and summer brought the discovery of small streams in the mountains and those little wild fish that absolutely clobber dry flies and get so mad when they're hooked.
    Thanks NGTO for all the help and tips. I've fished with quite a few of you and met others at places like Trout Unlimited and Project Healing Waters. You've led me all up and down the Chattahoochee and to places like Ami, Toccoa, Chattooga, Cherokee, Nacoochee, and Fern Valley and IDBIS. Monster bucks have swam the river right in front of me, otters have scolded me, ospreys and herons have caught fish I was trying for. I've stood side by side with Big T and learned I've got a lot to learn. I even saw RScott catch a fish one day. Who knows what the next 12 months will bring? A four day trip to WNC is booked for October, then maybe the salt, and perhaps becoming semi competent on our local rivers and streams. Whatever it is it's good to know there is a place like this where folks will stand up and offer assistance whichever direction it goes.
    THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Hey Dave!!! Sounds like my journey so far! Although I have been on this forum for 2 years, I only began fly flshing late last summer and into this summer (Only can fly fish during the summers but that will change once I graduate in December!). Got a lot to learn and most of the things I've learned so far have been influenced by NGTO. Cheers to a great year and more to come! Hope we get a chance to fish together sometime before I head back in August

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRainbow View Post
      Hey Dave!!!.... Hope we get a chance to fish together sometime before I head back in August
      Thank you sir, and yes we need to make that happen!!
      Congrats on being a semester away from graduating USC, that's a great school and a heck of an accomplishment

Comment

Great post Dave, your journey sounds similar to mine that I started in September​ of last year when I bought my first fly rod. This has been a very addicting and expensive sport but it has brought me on a great journey thus far and I've learned so much, mostly thanks to NGTO. I've fished with quite a few members here that have greatly influenced my learning curve, to the point I'm confident when I hit the water now that I'm going to catch fish. I hope you continue to make more memories on the water in the years to come. I think we've met twice so far but haven't fished together yet, so hopefully next time we cross paths we're fishing. Good luck!!

Comment

Happy anniversary Dave! Anyone who has had the chance to meet or fish with you knows without doubt you are "good people". You have come a long way in one year!
          http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Congratulations!

As Will Smith said to Robert Redford in the movie, "you have come far, pilgrim". And quite rapidly I might add! I particularly loved your comment on the reproduction rate of fly rods being similar that that of firearms! Too, too true and funny! As you find other water to fish with the long rod, like bass ponds and salt water, that reproduction rate will go up.

Thanks for posting! --johnkies--

Comment

WPrich I hope to fish you soon as well. It's been fun to watch your successes on here, and now I'm even reading about them naming the band after you. Congratulations sir and continued success.
              JOHNKIES, thanks for the kind words, I do believe I've come along ways from where I started which was at zero. The river still wins on some days, and when I think I'm doing good someone will come along and catch a twice as many out of a run I just fished.
              Three fairly simple paraphrased quotes from folks here have helped me quite a bit.
              RScott - you've got to spend time on the water to learn how to catch fish
              2fly - it takes time to learn the technique
              BigT, when I'm sticking with an unproductive pattern - what's the definition of insanity?

Comment

Two More

You are most welcome! And if I may add two more tid-bits for you?

- "A couple of split shot can be the difference between a good day and a great day" Kevin Howell

- Learn to think like a fish

Comment

The first piece of equipment needed is a credit card.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
                    Very true!!!!
                    We're on Dave Ramsey's financial peace plan but got pretty much geared up before the credit cards got cut up.

John thanks for the wisdom and good words!!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
                      Ayyyy....men.
                      All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Working...
                      X