Turnouts and fishing alongside the Toccoa on GA Hwy. 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnouts and fishing alongside the Toccoa on GA Hwy. 60

On my way to Deep Hole Campground last month there were several people parked on turnouts right on the river which would accommodate a couple of cars. None of them were close to private property, but I was moving too fast and couldn’t tell if there were no trespassing signs. Does anyone know if those are public waters?waters?

yes

There are some public parking fishing spots on the upper toccoa. There are 3-4 right after you turn right at Van Zants. I think they stock that area in the summer, but I'm not certain. I floated that stretch last winter with a buddy and we didn't get into any trout until we hit the DH, so I'm guessing it's a little warm for health numbers of hold-over fish, but who knows - with people feeding the fish, and regular stocking during the summer, I'm sure there are some pigs in there that survive the warm months. I seem to recall 1-2 parking spots on the highway you reference (is that morganton highway?), and there used to be a fish stocking tube either on that highway or at the road near van zants.
    http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AK Pipeline View Post
      There are some public parking fishing spots on the upper toccoa. There are 3-4 right after you turn right at Van Zants. I think they stock that area in the summer, but I'm not certain. I floated that stretch last winter with a buddy and we didn't get into any trout until we hit the DH, so I'm guessing it's a little warm for health numbers of hold-over fish, but who knows - with people feeding the fish, and regular stocking during the summer, I'm sure there are some pigs in there that survive the warm months. I seem to recall 1-2 parking spots on the highway you reference (is that morganton highway?), and there used to be a fish stocking tube either on that highway or at the road near van zants.
      Thanks for the info, AK. Iíve only been to Deep Hole once and Iím not familiar enough with the area to know Van Zantís or if I was driving on Morgantown Hwy.
      Sounds like a good reason to get back up there!

Comment

The first trout I ever caught was at those pull offs. I had no idea what I was doing and managed to catch 5 rainbows. There are some deep spots from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Pipeline View Post
          Is that area DH?

Comment

Originally posted by richf7 View Post
            Is that area DH?
            You can find the DH map here and that might help you pin point where you were in correlation to the pulloffs and DH water

http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/tocc...-harvest.shtml
            There are no shortcuts to any place worth going--Beverly Sills

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by richf7 View Post
                Is that area DH?
                No - it's above the DH. I think they stop stocking above the DH during the DH season, and then during the non-DH season, they stock a few points up river from Van Zants up to the campground. Just guessing here - not certain.
                http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X