No announcement yet.

Fishing guides - do you tip them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I forget how sensitive this new generation is! To all you waiters and waitresses out there, I apologize. I was just making a point, not meaning to insult those who have selected the food service industry as their career path. Most wait staff bust their a$$ and deserve to be tipped accordingly. You can come out of your safe space, all is well.
    Last edited by Buck Henry; 11-18-17, 08:42 AM.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      Man, I forget how sensitive this new generation is! To all you waiters and waitresses out there, I apologize. I was just making a point, not meaning to insult those who have selected the food service industry as their career path. Most wait staff bust their a$$ and deserve to be tipped accordingly. You can come out of your safe space, all is well.

Just a generation that likes to speak their mind, whether it's for the best or not. Don't take it too personally yourself Buck 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to stay out of these stupid online fights but I’m going to inject my thoughts.

I’ve waited tables and bartended for years when I was in college. I’ve also guided, worked as a mate on a sport fishing boat and rowed countless numbers of miles on rivers during the summers. Plus my oldest child and 3/4ths of my clients are in this millennial group. So I feel I can speak on this subject matter.

Most of the kids I come across in this group love to speak there mind, which is perfectly ok and all is well as long as you agree with their viewpoint. Lord forbid if you have a different perception or view because the personal verbal attacks, the insults, name calling run amuck. Double standards big time.

Regardless if you have 100x more experience on the subject matter. The internet has made everyone an expert. What happened to the saying don’t believe 100% what you read? And take it with a grain of salt?

Let’s face it neither profession will make you wealthy beyond your dreams. And both deserve more than they are paid. Guides on their days off bust their arses preparing for hours and days tying flies, scouting miles of areas, working on streams or on their boats and practice a skill or technique just to teach it to someone else so they are prepared. Just so that when they have that paying client, they can put the client in the right spot, at the right time, using the right technique and fly/bait just to make it all happen. Then you have to coach the client along the way during the battle.

When I waited tables and bartended, on my days off I never had to put in the hours of prep like a guide outside of making different drinks for myself or friends and I never did anything that goes along with waiting tables except preparing my own meals. But while on the job i worked hard, some days much harder than others.

The similarities from my experiences between guides and wait staffs is that they both attend to their lients wants and needs. They both also deal with 100’s of personality types while on the job. Some are good, some are bad clients. Unfortunately the jerks typically don’t tip well regardless of how well you do your job in either profession.

Regardless, tips are always appreciated. If someone is working hard reward them with a tip. We all are from different social and economic backgrounds. Tip what you can afford and what you feel is justified.
        Last edited by baldea; 11-18-17, 11:59 AM.
        I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Well said Brent
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

One million dollars is the correct amount.
            http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Guide Tipping

I always tip the guide if I pay a lot of money and don't even see a fish! But I usually do the tip when the guide is standing where he will fall in the river when I tip him over the log or rock ...........

Comment

Great Question

Originally posted by ryc72 View Post
                Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious about tipping in a certain situation. You are fishing private water and the rod fee for the water is $200. The guide fee is $150. So the total is $350 but the cost of labor is $150 and the cost of access is $200. Having a guide is optional. Do you tip off of the $350 or the $150? Or something in between? What’s the appropriate amount? $30? 50? 70?
                Let me repeat what has already been said... "Guides appreciate anything they're given..." and this is true. But that being said, others have also pointed out the time and expense in preparing for trips. I've seen clients go through a ridiculous number of flies that get stuck in trees ~ and replacement of indicators, tippets, etc. Also consider wear-and-tear on waders & boots and rods. I saw a client step on a rod and break it the first time the rod was used.

As an owner/manager of a pay-to-fish venue, I have wrestled with your question often. There are guides and there are professional guides; I happen to want to latter in my water. It's tough to make a living, but I see these guys hustle to do just that because they're passionate about what they do and take great joy in seeing people learn and have a good time. It's about more than catching big fish and/or a lot of fish. It's about the whole experience ~ not just anyone can provide that combination.

I also have to balance the cost of guides with what the market will bear, so guides depend on gratuities to make it worthwhile. It seems to me that anglers ALWAYS have a better day with a guide on the water and they're worth every dime (in my opinion). Even highly skilled anglers benefit with someone changing flies, netting fish ~~~ and keeping that fly in the water is the only way to catch fish. Having said all of this, I still understand why some people prefer to fish without a guide ~~ there's nothing like the solitude of the water and having just your own voice to listen to... so we don't require guides for experienced anglers.

So back to the original question: I tend to think the gratuity should be based more on the total value of the trip OR somewhere in the middle (river fee and guide fee combined). Some outfitters only quote a total of those instead of breaking it down.

This is a difficult question and there are no easy answers. In the long run, I'd suggest doing what you think is the "right" thing. I tend to err on the side of generosity.
                Last edited by Fern Valley Girl; 11-19-17, 09:16 AM.
                http://www.facebook.com/fernvalleytrout

Find us or Post Review to Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Georgia.html

Comment

Tips

Tip your guide 15-20%. Ask alot of question. Learn as much as you canó most of all have fun. Call the guide and ask what to bring. One thing most guides like is to ask if you should remove studs from boots if you plan to wear waders. Protect their boat.

Comment

tipping your guide

My personal policy is to start with a $100 tip for a guided float trip and work up if the guide went above and beyond.

as for tipping in restaurants...i start at 100% tip and work down if the server is a peckerhead, rude, inattentive, disrespectful, smart-a$$, or has an attitude problem.
                    [FONT=Arial]Steve-O

Comment

Originally posted by slanham View Post
                      i start at 100% tip and work down
                      I can tip that way at the Waffle House, but thats about it...

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! Funny story, there was heavy rain on Saturday night, and the river (which turns out to be Noontootla Creek) was blown out. So we didn't go on the guided trip.

I will be rescheduling and bringing my tip money.

Instead, my buddy and I went to the Tocoa DH and had a blast! Caught a bunch of bows and a few Brooks. Most of mine came on large hares ears and a pt with a purple bead, and my buddy caught them on an olive bugger. I hooked into one that was 20+", but he spit my fly before I could get him. Oh well, next time.

Comment

Working...
                        X