Why do I need a $200 fly vice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I need a $200 fly vice?

So like most of us- Iím a gear junkie. Iíve been tying on your standard starter vice and it holds a Hook... what makes a renzetti or similar worth 10x+ more?

If your budget entry level vice does the job and makes you happy, then why are you even asking this question? I knew a kid here that tied with a pair of vice grips being held in a work bench tool vise. Pretty rough but it got the job done.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

A $200 vise is not a lot when you compare a J Vise or a LAW at about $2K. You can get a very good Renzetti or a Regal for about $130.00.
      "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
        If your budget entry level vice does the job and makes you happy, then why are you even asking this question? I knew a kid here that tied with a pair of vice grips being held in a work bench tool vise. Pretty rough but it got the job done.

^ This sentiment exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have a nice vise, I've been using my trusty cabela's starter kit for a year. However, I find myself wishing for a bobbin cradle, rotary features, material clip, and midge jaws sometimes which are found in higher value vise's.

Comment

I think it depends on what you are wanting to do with your Tying...I tied on a Anvil Apex for 10 years and did great with it, after so long I wanted the an In-line rotary function and upgraded to the Atlas. I would say the best advice is to get what you can afford with the features you want. One reason I stayed with the Anvil vises is that I know they are built to withstand an apocalypse and can tie anything from a 22 midge to 1/0 saltwater with minimal adjustments needed
            I use dry flies...why just for the chance of the perfect cast, perfect drift, just to see it disappear...and then FISH ON!!!!

2010 Fall Fling Hero Shot Winner - 73'
            2011 Spring Fling Hero Shot Winner - 84' (91' Practice)

Southern Fly Fishing
            http://southernflyfishing1530.wordpress.com

Comment

Anvil Apex or Atlas (now wolff industries) last vise you'll ever need....
              wants are different story ...Will

Comment

I'll second the atlas. I tie size 5/0 all the way to 20 on it. If I didn't bounce around so much though I'd buy a peak with the regular and midge jaws.

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

more features and convenience. I started with the Cabelas starter kit and now use an old
                  base Renzetti Traveler. I can tie faster with the Renzetti.

Comment

With a more expensive vice, you tend to get more features, sure, but I also tend to think they have more refined action, and tend to hold hold the hook a bit better. But my only cheaper vice experience was tying for a long time on a Thomson model A, and some cheap kit vices, so I don't have a ton of experience with cheaper vices.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a peak or a renzetti. I tie 90% of my flies on the peak. But use my traveler as well. In my opinion the peak offers the most vice for the least money. I have yet to talk to a peak owner that doesn't love their vice.
                    Jackson Dockery
                    sigpic
                    My Instagram
                    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

I used every cheap vice bass pro sold. The reason I did is because I wore out every one of them. The best is the 30-40 dollar one with three sets of jaws. It lasted a little over a year. Point being my atlas was 150 and has lasted 7 years now... you do the math

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Working...
                      X