• Show
Clear All

• Tippet

Thought this was worth sharing....

https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2017/...on-tippet.html
    Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
    believe that the river is empty.
    Henry Van Dyke

Really interesting for me, 4x mono is as big as I have gone for trout, usually on big bushy dries for dry dropper. For everyday nymphing I use 5.5, 6 and 6.5 Trouthunter flouro, it is expensive but tough. Flouro also sinks better. Most importantly I have confidence in this brand and sizes. But I have caught a bunch of trout on 5x mono too.

Whatever you use, make sure you tied a good knot or it won't matter.
    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Well written. Thanks Dink!
      I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
      -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Good stuff! I believe the best piece of advice in this entire article is:

"I believe that they are confident in their self-assessment, and that confidence is more important than anything else."
        "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

To be completely honest, I think tippets lighter than a hard nylon formulation 5X (ie PowerflexPlus or comparable high-strength-to-diameter hard mono tippets) are borderline unethical in many situations If you expect to encounter trout of any size—especially in the South where heat stress is already a huge problem—I think that, at the very least, using 6 or 7X between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day is highly questionable, presuming you you intend to release fish. I am aware that with sufficient skill and the right gear, large trout can be quickly landed on very light tippet, but the reality is most trout anglers don't actually possess the fish fighting skills to land a good sized trout on light tippet quickly enough not to risk stressing the fish. Most trout fisherman don't even know where to hold the rod when fighting a large fish. Ethically fighting large fish on very small flies and very light tippet is a high art, but the average trout fisherman is more kid-eating-crayons than Rembrandt.

I know that some feel that the only feasible way to catch the trout they're targeting is with very small flies (and consequently very light tippet), but I think a lot of those folks would be surprised at what can be accomplished with stealth, observation, planning, casting accuracy and line management. One of the natural instincts of the human ego is to default to the premise that failure has an external rather than internal cause. In fly fishing, this normal human instinct pops up in excessive emphasis on terminal tackle (fly choice and tippet) as the source of failure, and not nearly enough on operator error (bad casting, poor line management, wandering attention, lack of stealth in approach etc). The tendency is to grope for magic bullets, something we can tie on the end of our leader that will let us wiggle around getting better at the basic mechanics of fly fishing. But a clean drift with 4X will beat a crap drift on 7X and the 'hot fly' every time.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the skill and setup to land the fish you're targeting quickly on light tippet and/or you only fish light tippet seasonally for the winter midge/tiny black stone bite (or the year round equivalent in colder tailwater stretches), when the risk of catch mortality is limited, it's one more tool in the bag.
          Last edited by Dylar; 01-17-18, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I think lots of folks think light tippet is better because it is less visible. That accounts for only part of the benefit it provides. You would be amazed at how much faster a fly sinks on 7x versus 5x. It also allows the flies to move more naturally in the micro currents. Flouro is more abrasion resistant than mono as well as the fact it sinks faster. However, I am not sure I have ever had flouro sink a dry fly as long as I greased my leader a few feet up to make sure my leader was riding high. I like my tippet connected to my dry to be under water actually as it casts less of a shadow.

While I am a fan of flouro, mono has been used forever and folks catch a ton of trout on it so if it works for you and ain't broke, don't fix it. Some guys solution to sink rate is another split shot and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There is a saying that the difference between a good trout angler and a great trout angler is one more split shot.
            http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Yeah, I don't think trout tippet, even fluorocarbon, has enough mass in and of itself to penetrate the surface film, so it doesn't sink dries.

Comment

Big T told me that "the only way I'll catch the trouts" is by using 10x tippet and size 36 or smaller flies...
                You calling him a liar?
                Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                  To be completely honest, I think tippets lighter than a hard nylon formulation 5X (ie PowerflexPlus or comparable high-strength-to-diameter hard mono tippets) are borderline unethical in many situations If you expect to encounter trout of any size, especially in the South where heat stress is already a huge problem, I think at the very least that using 6 or 7X between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day is highly questionable, if you intend to release fish. I am aware that with sufficient skill and the right gear, large trout can be quickly landed on very light tippet, but the reality is most trout anglers don't actually possess the fish fighting skills to land a good sized trout on light tippet quickly enough not to risk stressing the fish. Most trout fisherman don't even know where to hold the rod when fighting a large fish. Ethically fighting large fish on very small flies and very light tippet is a high art, but the average trout fisherman is more kid-eating-crayons than Rembrandt.

I know that some feel that the only feasible way to catch the trout they're targeting is with very small flies (and consequently very light tippet), but I think a lot of those folks would be surprised at what can be accomplished with stealth, observation, planning, casting accuracy and line management. One of the natural instincts of the human ego is to default to the premise failure has an external rather than internal cause. In fly fishing, this normal human instinct pops excessive emphasis on terminal tackle (fly choice and tippet) as the source of failure, and not nearly enough on operator error (bad casting, poor line management, wandering attention, lack of stealth in approach etc). The tendency is to grope for magic bullets, something we can tie on the end of our leader that will let us wiggle around getting better at the basic mechanics of fly fishing. But a clean drift with 4X will beat a crap drift on 7X and the 'hot fly' every time.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the skill and setup to land the fish you're targeting quickly on light tippet and/or you only fish light tippet seasonally for the winter midge/tiny black stone bite (or the year round equivalent in colder tailwater stretches), when the risk of catch mortality is limited, it's one more tool in the bag.
                  Very well said!!! My thoughts as well..
                  dink
                  Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
                  believe that the river is empty.
                  Henry Van Dyke

Comment

All last year I used Berkeley Vanish. 110yd spool for $5 at walmart.com

But I recently bought some orvis mirage because it has the line cutter built in

Comment

My confidence tippet is Trout Hunter - no doubts about it. Michael Bradley had me tossing 7x on a 2wt Syndicate rod. I caught a magnificent brown (23") and it was in the net in under two minutes. He coached me with some new awesome tips on fighting the big fish in.

I got tired of my Rio Powerflex breaking me off on fish - no pig tails from failed knots. I know when I'm fishing trophy trout waters I want all of my equipment to be as strong and durable as it can be. I do believe that my Syndicate rod is a big part of the equation in landing bigger fish as the rod tip protects my Trout Hunter tippet.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

The latest and greatest is Cortland Top Secret, but for what it costs, it should be.

Comment

Yeah, the Cortland is kinda scary strong. I've fished plenty of trout hunter, and still fish it, but the cortland may be slowly edging it out in the arsenal, particularly in the small sizes where the strength really counts. I'm impressed so far, but time will tell.
                          Jackson Dockery
                          sigpic
                          My Instagram
                          Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Fluoro definitely sinks when throwing dries, doesn’t matter what size ur throwing. Especially on long casts where you go across runs and cross even tiny micro currents, it sinks. The best dry fly fisherman and even dry/drop anglers will use mono for this reason. However, on very technical, long stretches of flat water, lots of comp guys will throw 6-7x Fluoro so the fish “don’t see it”. Whether or not this is just a confidence booster, or the fish really don’t see the line, these are the guys that will win comps day in and day out.

Edit: As for the top secret, it’s a great Fluoro and MAY be a bit stronger than the trouthunter, but it’s definitely stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshKimchi View Post
                              Fluoro definitely sinks when throwing dries, doesn’t matter what size ur throwing. Especially on long casts where you go across runs and cross even tiny micro currents, it sinks. The best dry fly fisherman and even dry/drop anglers will use mono for this reason. However, on very technical, long stretches of flat water, lots of comp guys will throw 6-7x Fluoro so the fish “don’t see it”. Whether or not this is just a confidence booster, or the fish really don’t see the line, these are the guys that will win comps day in and day out.

Edit: As for the top secret, it’s a great Fluoro and MAY be a bit stronger than the trouthunter, but it’s definitely stiffer.
                              I have never felt like my fluoro sinks my dry flies and I dry drop as much as anyone. I was throwing a size 26 parachute adams the other day with fluoro tippet from my indicator line in my leader to the dry and had no problems.

Perhaps if you are fishing 50 feet away but I try not to do that. I do apply flotant to my leader a couple of feet above the dry to make sure it sits high though.

Also, Monofilament fishing lines absorb water, which means they behave differently beneath the surface than when you're testing them in the tackle shop. The degree varies. Some are sponges, sopping up 8 percent or more of their weight in water. Premium blends absorb less, but still soak up some. So over time they will sink as well.
                              http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Working...
                              X