Wolf Creek and Near Vogel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf Creek and Near Vogel

Itís rare that I get the chance to trout fish. Iíll be at Vogel a few days soon, and Iíd love to get in some stream fishing at or near Vogel. As best I can tell, Wolf Creek isnít on the stocking schedule. Is it never stocked? Why not? Any other good streams that are easily accessible near Vogel? Iím in Ďthe nice carí this trip, so I canít be barreling down bad roads.

Iíve mostly done catch and release fishing, but it would be nice to take three or four this time. I ainít greedy.

Please message me or post...within the forum guidelines, of course.

Thanks.

treefishin

IDK if Wold Creek gets stocked, but the lake definitely does. Between fish moving up, and the little wild bows, I'm sure you can probably find a few fish. If you decide to do some exploring, the Cooper's Cr area isn't too far away, I'd start there.
    The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

I agree with fishinbub, Coopers Creek would be a good area to explore. Also, Rock Creek, in the Coopers Creek area. About a half hour's drive in the other direction from Vogel is Smith Creek in Unicoi State Park. If you want to keep some of the trout fish Smith Creek north of the lake. Best fishing however might be in the DH section of Smith below the lake, but it is catch and release.
      "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Hit the Nottley, just go north on 129 until you cross the bridge on the left is an old fruit stand. Park there and fish down stream. The land owners have no restrictions.
        "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
          Hit the Nottley, just go north on 129 until you cross the bridge on the left is an old fruit stand. Park there and fish down stream. The land owners have no restrictions.
          I have never fly fished the Nottley, but I believe the fruit stand on 129 would be near one of my favorite BBQ joints, Jim's Smokin Butts BBQ, but be prepared for a line out the door. I believe it is only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I have fished the lake at Vogel often, and always go to Jim's Smokin Butts afterwards, if they are open.
          "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
            IDK if Wold Creek gets stocked, but the lake definitely does. Between fish moving up, and the little wild bows, I'm sure you can probably find a few fish. If you decide to do some exploring, the Cooper's Cr area isn't too far away, I'd start there.
            My lake fishing skills are worse than my stream fishing skills, but I spent a few hours around that lake and even waded far out from the mouth of Wolf Creek...alas, no luck. I also cast out from the bank as far as I could in the direction of the drain valve...no luck.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
              I agree with fishinbub, Coopers Creek would be a good area to explore. Also, Rock Creek, in the Coopers Creek area. About a half hour's drive in the other direction from Vogel is Smith Creek in Unicoi State Park. If you want to keep some of the trout fish Smith Creek north of the lake. Best fishing however might be in the DH section of Smith below the lake, but it is catch and release.
              Thanks. Iíll probably hit Smith when Iím staying sometime at Unicoi. The road to Rock Creek doesnít work for the ďnice carĒ, but thanks. I think I tried Cooper a couple of years ago. I seem to recall the road being similar. I did tie into a strong rainbow in deep water under the bridge, but he pounded my rig and left me with just monofilament.

treefishin

Comment

Originally posted by treefishin View Post
                My lake fishing skills are worse than my stream fishing skills, but I spent a few hours around that lake and even waded far out from the mouth of Wolf Creek...alas, no luck. I also cast out from the bank as far as I could in the direction of the drain valve...no luck.

Any suggestions?
                Go over to the dam and slowly strip small weighted streamers.
                The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
                  Go over to the dam and slowly strip small weighted streamers.
                  Appreciate the tip. I believe when I fished it before, I switched to spinning gear and worked spinners.

treefishin

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
                    Thank you for the advice, narcodog. How do you know that? I see miles and miles of trout water on the Ga stream map. With the exception of water that is directly accessible via forest service roads, I have no clue as to where I can fish, and where I'd be trespassing. I might post a separate thread devoted to this topic.

treefishin

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
                      I have never fly fished the Nottley, but I believe the fruit stand on 129 would be near one of my favorite BBQ joints, Jim's Smokin Butts BBQ, but be prepared for a line out the door. I believe it is only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I have fished the lake at Vogel often, and always go to Jim's Smokin Butts afterwards, if they are open.
                      I'm with ya on Jim's. Seating is limited and it's a crowded place to eat...but definitely worth it.

Do you fish from the bank? My understanding is that boats are not allowed, but I did see someone fishing from a small, one-person pontoon.

treefishin

Comment

I fish from the bank usually, but on a couple of occasions I have fished from my float tube. I wade far out from the mouth to Wolf Creek, wade along a retaining wall on the entry road side in front of a bench, and wade along the dam fishing in front of the reeds and around the spillway. The last time out I was told by a park ranger it was ok to wade at the dam but not in front of the spillway. I strip black weighted wooly buggers. I cast the wooly bugger, let it sink for a bit and then strip it slowly. I have had some good days and some bad days. The last couple of times I fished Vogel I got skunked. I was told I should be using a sinking fly line, or maybe it was a sinking leader I should be using. I use neither, which might be part of my problem. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X