Need input on wading boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need input on wading boots

It's time to replace my boots and I'd like y'all's help with deciding on which I should get next. Through the years, two boots have been highly spoken of here and it's those two boots I'm trying to decide between: either the Korkers BuckSkin wading boot with felt and Kling-On outsoles or the Chota STL Plus wading boots with felt sole and cleat receptacles.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. And I'm open to other suggestions, these two just happened to be recommended here over and over. So, which should I get?!
    I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

I bought korkers dark horse and Iíve been very happy, with the only exception being they take forever to dry. I started with the rubber soles and switched to the felts and wore those out in about a year (I fish a lot). I recently purchased the heavy duty rubber soles with the traction bars and those are phenomenal, no slipping whatsoever.
    minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Iím on my second pair of Chota STLís. Most comfortable boots Iíve ever had. Buddy of mine had Korkers come apart. Chota also known for great customer service and located here in the Southeast (Knoxville, TN).
      - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
      Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Some folks hate Korkers, but I've had two pairs.

I bought the first pair of their lighter "hiking/fishing" boots and they took a beating bluelining that first year. When the seams started to come apart after almost daily use, they gave me a great deal on an upgrade. My new boots are the Darkhorse and I have zero complaints about them. THey've stood up to a ton of fishing: small water creeks, the hooch tailwater, etc. Personally, I really like the idea of exchangeable soles: vibrams with studs for hiking and the small creeks, particularly if you are off the beaten path. Felt with studs in the big river. YOu can get some deals making them go for just about $100 I think. I would never pay more than that and I am not a brand snob.

Comment

On my third pair of Chota STL+, I have thought about other boots, just never had a reason to change.
          RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Two Cents

My two cents on the topic is to try on both, with your waders or at least the shop neoprene booties and walk around a little just like when you buy regular shoes. Your feet will tell you which ones to purchase.

Comment

x2. Take your waders and the socks you think you'll wear wading when you try on boots. I have found that different wader footies take up different amounts of space in the boot based on size and thickness.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input and advice, guys. I haven't tried any on yet, so I haven't made a decision yet. But I will soon.

Speaking of neoprene wading socks, I'm also in the market for a pair of those. I've had a pair of Caddis ones that I liked, but they have rubber grips on the bottoms of the feet that wear out the soles of the boots prematurely. So, based on reviews, I'm now leaning towards a pair of Orvis ones for $29. But I'm wide open to suggestions on these too.
                I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                -Lefty Kreh

Comment

I have a pair of Simms Wading boots that I like. Like other say. Go try on some different kinds and see what you like the best.

I also have a pair of simms neoprene wading socks. They are nice and help you slide your foot in the boot a lot easier.

Comment

I have the Buckskins and actually like them a lot more than I thought I would. My only complaint is the bulkiness at the top of the boot. My Simms waders have neoprene gravel guards and it's a pain in the a$$ stretching them over the bulk. The Chota's seem to be a little more streamline in that regard. Other than that, I have zero complaints. Comfy and do the job.

Comment

Working...
                    X