Blue Ridge fly shop closed?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my experiences

Over my 19 years of fly fishing I have visited the following stores and made purchases:
    Bass Pro
    Fish Hawk
    Unicoi Outfitters
    Blue Ridge

I still purchase from one of those because they seem genuinely appreciative of my business. I can call them and explain what I want and two days later it shows up my doorstep. I would shop at another but is in the opposite direction and fighting the concrete jungle is not my style. Also I feel like I purchase larger items so infrequently that I need to support the one store so they can maximize revenue.

I make my living selling so I have an expectation that maybe others don't have when it comes to customer appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
      The shop in Blue Ridge has a lot of unknown undertones to the general public that has caused the shop to close. With the present owners and past.
      Iíll admit that Iím curious about what this means.

Comment

Me too. What are the unknown undertones ??

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
          Me too. What are the unknown undertones ??
          LOL, sounds like something you would hear in a wine review: "this sassy and pretentious Cabernet has hints of blueberry as well as other unknown undertones"

Yeah, what gives with that statement Bob?
          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Well if folks didn't want folks to know then you all don't need to know, that's all I'm going to say.
            "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Well if folks didn't want folks to know then you all don't need to know, that's all I'm going to say.
              So, you're just making something up to join in on kicking of the fallen. Got it.
              -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

7th Grade Girls Hall --- Again

Really? More snide remarks? If you care to toss barbs at one another please take it to the PM mode.

As for "unknown undertones", Blue Ridge and Fannin County are still small, mostly rural populations just now really learning how to live more on tourism. Fifteen years ago, it was illegal to provide alcohol at a public gathering unless it was on church grounds. A very nice little Italian restaurant opened on the east side of town and allowed brown bagging. Until the local rulers discovered this trespass and outlawed brown bagging. They fought the 20th century long and hard. So there are "undertones" in that a great deal of town and county business is no doubt still conducted after church or at the local BBQ. Just life in small town America of Norman Rockwell that looks so quaint, until you are on the outside looking in.

Back on point, I think part of the struggle is that Blue Ridge and Fannin still have very small resident populations. Lots of visitors and second home people, but the everyday and voting public is pretty small. This is more a point that Jimmy Harris could speak to, but I think the lack of a resident fly fishing population has to be a business limiter. I have always tended to buy my gear, especially the higher end stuff, from the shops closest to where I live. Sure, I visited all the shops that were in Blue Ridge, but usually for flies, and leaders and etc. I have no clue what the critical mass of people is to support a local fly shop, but it seems Blue Ridge is not there yet.

Comment

I think that a well stocked fly fishing vending machine is all that town needs. Right there by the Dollar General that we all take a left at east of Ellijay.

Comment

Originally posted by The Snag Whisperer View Post
                    I think that a well stocked fly fishing vending machine is all that town needs. Right there by the Dollar General that we all take a left at east of Ellijay.
                    Shut the front door, y'all turn left there too???
                    -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Cohutta

Saw on Facebook this morning that Cohutta is opening a new shop in Blue Ridge.

Cohutta Fishing Company
                      24 mins ∑

We are excited to be opening our second location in Blue Ridge, Georgia! We Look forward to serving The Blue Ridge community, greater North Georgia, and beyond with the same level of service and expertise we have provided in Cartersville for the past 9 years! Stay tuned for more updates!

Best of luck to Andy and the crew!

Comment

Originally posted by fredw View Post
                        Saw on Facebook this morning that Cohutta is opening a new shop in Blue Ridge.

Cohutta Fishing Company
                        24 mins ∑

We are excited to be opening our second location in Blue Ridge, Georgia! We Look forward to serving The Blue Ridge community, greater North Georgia, and beyond with the same level of service and expertise we have provided in Cartersville for the past 9 years! Stay tuned for more updates!

Best of luck to Andy and the crew!
                        Well, there you go! Andy figured out the secret to a successful fly shop in Carterville of all places (he basically built a high end gift and clothing store that also happens to sell top notch fishing poles and fly fishing stuff). If anyone can make it work in Blueridge, it is Andy Bowen!
                        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

The shop in Blue Ridge has a lot of unknown undertones to the general public that has caused the shop to close. With the present owners and past.
                          Not sure what you exactly mean by past owners but I can say for certain that when the original shop was owned by Unicoi Outfitters there was nothing but honest and hard working owners with no shenanigans going on in that business.

Comment

Not sure of how to interpret the vague innuendos on the history of Blue Ridge fly Shops, but
                            we'll just give best wishes for any new potential owners of Outfitters in Blue Ridge..
                            Last edited by jonmo; 10-23-18, 05:46 PM.
                            Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

I just got an email from Cohutta that they were opening a shop in Blue Ridge. I am assuming that they may be taking over the former shop. Hope they do well
                              - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
                              Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

I just hope they aren't plagued by any mysterious ska bands.
                                -skunked

Comment

Working...
                                X