Blue Ridge fly shop closed?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
    I just hope they aren't plagued by any mysterious ska bands.
    Yeah, I heard The English Beat were a bunch of closet trout bums now, and Jimmy is constantly chasing them out from by the mill.

FM
    The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I agree with what alot of people have already said. There was alot of high end rods, waders, reels etc in the shop. The fly tying materials were pretty high priced as well. I live here, tie flies most every night, fish all the time and rarely stopped by. I even offered to spearhead a weekly fly tying and cold beer gathering and didn't get any interest from the shop regarding it.

I think first of all the location would need to be changed. I can only imagine that the lease at the current location is pretty high. Secondly, I think they would need to carry equipment to meet each price point from entry level to advanced, starter kits to top of the line. Third, I think they would need to be more active at drawing crowds bringing people in and developing regulars such as fly tying nights. They have been having them at the chattanooga location for quite some time and have it sponsored so that you get to tie flies, talk fishing and have a free beer or two. What local fly fisherman wouldn't enjoy that?!?!?

Hearing that Cohutta is coming here is music to my ears. I wish them well and look forward to stopping by when they are open for business.
      I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
      sigpic

Comment

Totally agree with Prowler. Hey, you let me know if you're getting a fly tying night together. I'll gladly drive the hour to Blue Ridge to tie with you!
        Fly shops, at least the successful ones, know that a fly shop is a community, a place where you can come to talk fishing, shoot the bull, get to know the owners, etc. If you come in frequently, you WILL spend money and if you need something they don't have, they'll order it.
        - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
        Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Kevin, since it seems you’ve inadvertently started an NGTO sponsored tying night you can count me in!

Regarding the Blue Ridge fly shop, they sold me my first handful of nymphs that put me on some of my first trout on the fly.
          Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg Vet View Post
            Totally agree with Prowler. Hey, you let me know if you're getting a fly tying night together. I'll gladly drive the hour to Blue Ridge to tie with you!
            Fly shops, at least the successful ones, know that a fly shop is a community, a place where you can come to talk fishing, shoot the bull, get to know the owners, etc. If you come in frequently, you WILL spend money and if you need something they don't have, they'll order it.
            Will do DV! I'm down. Maybe if someone knows the guy that will be running the cohutta store when it is here they could shoot him a message and see if he would like to have it at the cohutta store. I would be more than happy to spearhead it and try and promote it. I just joined the Blue Ridge TU chapter and I am sure some of those guys would be interested as well.

Erik you are always welcome as well
            I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
            sigpic

Comment

Last time I was in the shop at Blue Ridge (late May) there was little on the shelves and the guy working said most of the inventory was in the shop in Chattanooga. He didn't say they were closing, but one could only assume the shop was on it's way out.

I'm excited to see Cohutta open up in Blue Ridge and I hope they will be successful.
              Mountains to Marsh

Comment

Learned this weekend that the store in Chattanooga has also closed.
                "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
                  Learned this weekend that the store in Chattanooga has also closed.
                  Stopped in the Chattanooga store in August and the gentleman working the store mentioned the owners were shutting this one (Chattanooga) down. He added that himself and the guy over on the fly tying bench were working on opening a new shop, "Lookout Fly Anglers" if I remember right. They have an Instagram and Facebook. Hope that process is going well.

Comment

Working...
                  X