Blue Ridge fly shop closed?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Ridge fly shop closed?!?

My daughter stopped by the other day and said the fly shop in Blue Ridge was closed permanently. Anyone hear anything about this? Weren’t they a board sponsor?
    - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
    Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

my experience was they were never really open.

I heard from a very reliable source that they are indeed closed for good. Don't know if it was mismanagement or just not enough fly fishing purchases to keep a place open. Seems odd that the GA fly fishing/trout epicenter can't support one fly shop.

Comment

Yes, it is closed. I heard rumors about this awhile back but did not want to say anything publicly in case things changed. I was not sure if the Turner's were just folding up their tent or if they were selling the business to someone but it now sounds like they just shut the thing down.

Running a successful fly shop in north Georgia is probably not an easy thing to do. But it can be done, just look at the longevity that Unicoi Outfitters and The Fish Hawk have enjoyed. I am not really sure why a fly shop could not do better in Blueridge? Maybe Fannin County is not the trout capital of Georgia Mr. Ralston fancies it is.
      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Amen, Buck

Truer words have never been spoken with regard to Unicoi and the Fish Hawk, Buck.
        Well stated.
        “This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures.”
        Rudyard Kipling, Kim

Comment

Is the owner of the shop in Mcaysville the same one that owned the shop in Blue Ridge?

Comment

Every time I went into BRFS they never had exactly what I needed. Then you mosey over to the rods and reels and they have 6 400+ reels and all sage rods. Tough to sell entry stuff when you don't have it. Waders, same thing. G4 guides or bust. They would've done well to cater to the spin crowd as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
              They would've done well to cater to the spin crowd as well
              I worked at that shop on occasion (before the Turner's owned it) when they needed a fill in guy and I use to say the same thing. I can't count how many tourist Dad's came in looking for a cheap spinning rod to take their kid fishing over at Tammen Park. I had to send all those folks over to the Wal-mart.

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I found them helpful the few times I visited, but I agree that their product mix was skewed towards the high end. Carrying spin gear and entry-level fly outfits is pretty important to reach the tourist crowd in the Southeast.

Comment

I totally agree with the 'slightly off' selection. I am a fly tier and that is why I visit fly shops frequently. Tying material doesn't generate much by itself, but when I come in regularly, then I usually pick up a book, shirt, tippet, etc. It got to the point that I wouldn't even stop when coming down 515 as I knew that they didn't likely have what I wanted in tying materials.

Folks don't buy $400 rods very frequently, but do buy small stuff frequently and when they DO want a new rod, reel, wading boots, etc. they will come in for that too if they are already coming in for other stuff.
                  - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
                  Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

And most successful fly shops usually carry a decent selection of fishing related home decorating nick-nacks and women's outdoor clothing. The sound you hear right before the cash register drawer opens is usually a female voice saying "how cute!"

Buck Henry
                    Simple Goat Herder
                    Former NGTO President
                    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                      Running a successful fly shop in north Georgia is probably not an easy thing to do. But it can be done, just look at the longevity that Unicoi Outfitters and The Fish Hawk have enjoyed. I am not really sure why a fly shop could not do better in Blueridge? Maybe Fannin County is not the trout capital of Georgia Mr. Ralston fancies it is.
                      Not sure Blueridge has the demographics YET to support a fly shop. Remember, Unicoi Outfitters and David and Becky Hulsey had that place and it's just tough to stay in business there. Thanks to BlueRidge Fly Fishing for supporting NGTO the past few years.

Maybe somebody will take the suggestions here and try again. Without that fly shop i don't have as much reason to stop in Blue Ridge. Not that fond of fudge or scented candles. I do like Fightingtown Tavern.
                      If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

I think it would have to be a "trout fishing shop" plenty of zebco 33 combos, eagle claw rods, a wide selection of inline spinners. Along side of all that have the entry level kits from echo/redington/tfo. Both types buy waders. Throw in bucks nick nacks and women's clothing and you may have a winner.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

The shop in Blue Ridge has a lot of unknown undertones to the general public that has caused the shop to close. With the present owners and past.
                          "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                            I think it would have to be a "trout fishing shop" plenty of zebco 33 combos, eagle claw rods, a wide selection of inline spinners. Along side of all that have the entry level kits from echo/redington/tfo. Both types buy waders. Throw in bucks nick nacks and women's clothing and you may have a winner.

Add in PowerBait and salmon eggs and you're a one stop shop
                            BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                            Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                              Add in PowerBait and salmon eggs and you're a one stop shop

Keep those behind the counter and photocopy their ID. It'll be like buying Sudafed in Appalachia.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Working...
                              X