Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad's Got a Question

Do Google Reviews Matter?

I used to get happy with Trip Advisor reviews, but it seems no one cares so much about Trip Advisor. Or maybe Trip Advisor is more important for restaurants and travel accommodations.

I've never solicited Google Reviews, but we REALLY do appreciate nice words.

What's your opinion? Do Google Reviews Matter?

http://www.facebook.com/fernvalleytrout

Find us or Post Review to Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Georgia.html

Google reviews certainly matter.

Tripadvisor is more hotels and the like, IMO.
    Yelp is specifically food services.
    With Google being the top search engine, and Android phones being so ubiquitous.... Somebody searches Fern Valley you want them to get a good first impression.
    Alternatively, do you guys do any SEO (search engine optimisation)? There is big money in that, huge industry.
    Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

I'm going against convention but I hold the opinion that reviews of pretty much anything on social media are basically nonsense. The vetting used to manage comments - well, there really isn't any. Create an anonymous login and say whatever you want. Google, Yelp, Amazon (although Amazon is a bit better). And policing those reviews is probably more headache than it's worth for many businesses.

In the aggregate - a LARGE aggregate - reviews can be OK. And by large I mean hundreds or thousands to drown out the wackos and axe-grinders as well as the paid-for or planted positive reviews. For example, if there are 950 reviews of a washing machine on Amazon I am more comfortable with that aggregate than if there were only 10.

Even then the reviews can be skewed, especially for products. Reading negative reviews on Amazon et al would make me never want to buy anything for fear that product will break the minute it leaves the UPS truck.

All that said, BAD reviews can be problematic for a business, especially if there are more than one or two (hey, even the best restaurants can serve a bad meal once in a while).

Word of mouth has always been the best advertising a business can get; driving that word of mouth is done by providing good products, good service and support after the sale. The google reviews will take care of themselves.

ETA: And what iso1600 said about Search Engine Optimization. That might be worthwhile depending on how many eyeballs you want to attract. That said, you might want to add a guestbook to the web site. I know ya'll have a ton of very happy fisherfolks who have enjoyed your stream and hospitality. Way better than google reviews IMO.
      Last edited by Trout8myfly; 08-25-17, 09:59 AM.
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

This aging baby boomer also takes any online review with a grain of salt. On the other hand, my millennial aged children won't take a crap in a public bathroom without first checking the reviews on the place.

PS: when I fished out west last year with a guide, they specifically requested that I post a review on Trip Advisor if I was happy with their service.
        Last edited by Buck Henry; 08-25-17, 10:07 AM.
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by iso1600 View Post
          Google reviews certainly matter.

Tripadvisor is more hotels and the like, IMO.
          Yelp is specifically food services.
          With Google being the top search engine, and Android phones being so ubiquitous.... Somebody searches Fern Valley you want them to get a good first impression.
          Alternatively, do you guys do any SEO (search engine optimisation)? There is big money in that, huge industry.
          Good question about SEO. No, we haven't... but yes, we're looking into that. Thanks for chiming in!

Comment

Word of Mouth

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. We have always valued word-of-mouth most of all, especially in this industry. That is exactly why NGTO has been important to us -- there's no shortage of "words" and "mouths" here.

When we first opened our stretch of the Soque to the public, we were hidden somewhere about page 12 on a google search of "fly fishing north Georgia". Now we pretty much show up on the first page, especially if Soque is included in the search. That's pretty good stuff right there.

I love to ask guests how they heard about us and here's what I usually get:
            #1 - Google Search
            #2 - Word of Mouth

@trout8myfly - I hadn't thought about a guest book on our website. That would be awesome... but website management has been a tricky thing and a long story. I hope our website gives us some credibility, but it is difficult to update. Unless we make some changes in hosting it is what it is.

I can't leave this topic without a huge
            Thank You

NGTO has been our best means of advertising. We thank you for spreading the word about our little adventure and we will strive to uphold the reputation you've helped us build.

We're so excited about Opening Day ~ September 29th ~
            Since I don't have recent fish photos, this one of our grandaughter will have to do for now

Glad

Last edited by Fern Valley Girl; 08-31-17, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X