Fun Turkey Gun Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Turkey Gun Project

Santa brought me a Stevens m301 12 Gauge with a Kicks Gobbling Thunder choke for Christmas. It only weighs 5.5 pounds, so the idea is to make a personalized turkey gun for those super long hikes in the mountains. Gonna paint it, install studs and sling, and either a rail and scope or adjustable fiber optic sights. Iím sure itíll rattle your teeth with turkey loads, but I was afraid Terry Creech would make fun of me if I got the 20 gauge... Cheap entertainment, looking forward to getting it ready.

They donít kick bad when your in the moment. They kick bad when your patterning it! Iíve got a single shot 10 ga with extra full choke that will rock your world.

Comment

Definitely a butt kicker...but as GP said, not too bad in the moment. Ought to be big trouble for the gobbler population
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Interesting project gun, post up some pictures, just remember - it's just 2.5 months away....
        RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Love it. I'm just so proud. And just like beware the man with only one gun, beware the man with a single shot, right?

My advice would be to plant it only lightly into the shoulder and press out on the forestock prior to touching that thing off. Learned to do that shooting short .12s with buckshot in "housecleaning" drills and it really works.
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

With the single shot, you're going to feel every bit of the recoil. RifleRecoilTable.jpg Just shoot the 3" shells. The 3.5" shell will rattle your head and destroy a shoulder, especially if you are braced against something. 12 gauge 3.5" turkey load will give you 78 pounds of recoil while the 458 Win Mag comes in at a measly 70 pounds.

Comment

Itís only got a 3 inch chamber, thank goodness. Yeah, those 3.5ís ainít for me in a light gun.

My dad is a machinist, and is getting it scope and sling ready. Wonít be long and Iíll dial it in with Longbeards.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                Itís only got a 3 inch chamber, thank goodness. Yeah, those 3.5ís ainít for me in a light gun.

My dad is a machinist, and is getting it scope and sling ready. Wonít be long and Iíll dial it in with Longbeards.
                Good deal. If got a smaller H&R in 3.5 if you want to try some fun. You'll only pull the trigger once....

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post

Good deal. If got a smaller H&R in 3.5 if you want to try some fun. You'll only pull the trigger once....
                  Is that the one you let people borrow when you take them turkey hunting?

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post

Is that the one you let people borrow when you take them turkey hunting?
                    If you want to try it..... The 3s give you enough push to remind you. Heck, been killing with 2.75 for a long time.

Comment

Nah, I'm good. I like my shoulder like it is.....in one piece. A full choke 2.75 will put plenty pellets in a pattern to make you a turkey thug.

Comment

My father is a machinist. He drilled and tapped the barrel for a scope, and he made the base for me (custom made by Buckman Deddy Customs ) Iíve gotta get a higher set of rings, then Iíll mount a Simmons 4x32 shotgun scope. Also installed the hammer extension and sling.

Comment

Got the scope mounted, now itís ready to paint:

It was very windy and a terrible day to pattern. Iíll get it just right on a better day. Nevertheless, got 230 #6 Longbeards in 10 at 40, and 179 #5 Longbeards. Which one would be your choice?

Comment

Iíd probably go with the 6s, but Iíve always gone 5s. Shows what I know.

Comment

I always shot 6s. Just me. ĎCourse I called them in close.
                              sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                              "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Working...
                              X