http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What rifle should I get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Big Browns View Post
    as long as your shot placement is on point!
    We didn't say shot placement well if that's the case Ill just break out the old laser guided Tomahawk cruse missile that will reach out and touch it at o lets say 500 miles
    DILLIGAF

    Comment


    • #32
      And when you really need to ensure a kill no matter how bad your aim is, there is always the good old Phase Plasma Rifle.

      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

      Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
        And when you really need to ensure a kill no matter how bad your aim is, there is always the good old Phase Plasma Rifle.

        Now thats funny
        DILLIGAF

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Jared Darnell View Post
          I am looking for a rifle for elk, I'm thinking 30-06 or 7mm mag. I really like the browning X bolt and A bolt but I am not a rich man. Any suggestions for a rifle that i should be looking for, either new or used, that won't break the bank?
          What would be the rifle equilivent of the remington 870 express shotgun (i.e. reliable and affordable?)
          Thanks
          Jared Elk are thin skinned so a 270 will do the job but a 30/06 or a 7mm would get you a bit more power all three cal are great rounds and you can still have a nice deer riffle,and you can get any of these for around 400.00 bucks.A 870 will run you around 350 to 375 so there you go.
          DILLIGAF

          Comment


          • #35
            Huntfish

            You guys joke but your not going to find a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to hunting and firearms than Russ. This guy is no BS and knows his stuff. I have known Russ since the old Bass Pro days (10+ years) and he has always been willing to spend as much time as it takes answering every question you may have. A true steward of the outdoors, he is a class act. I have mad respect for him even if he does crawl around on his belly looking for wild brookies!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Fire Walker View Post
              You guys joke but your not going to find a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to hunting and firearms than Russ. This guy is no BS and knows his stuff. I have known Russ since the old Bass Pro days (10+ years) and he has always been willing to spend as much time as it takes answering every question you may have. A true steward of the outdoors, he is a class act. I have mad respect for him even if he does crawl around on his belly looking for wild brookies!
              Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out
              DILLIGAF

              Comment


              • #37
                Thanks

                Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Fire Walker View Post
                  You guys joke but your not going to find a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to hunting and firearms than Russ. This guy is no BS and knows his stuff. I have known Russ since the old Bass Pro days (10+ years) and he has always been willing to spend as much time as it takes answering every question you may have. A true steward of the outdoors, he is a class act. I have mad respect for him even if he does crawl around on his belly looking for wild brookies!
                  Originally posted by tommyking View Post
                  Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out
                  I understood that..... No harm...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Jared Darnell View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.
                    Tikka is made by Sako and has excellent reviews from the get go. Now don't forget about the base/ring & scope. Don't go cheap on the base/rings. Anticipate to spend as much for a scope as you do for your rifle. One word,,,,Stay away from Burris, if you ever have any problems, you now own an expensive decoration.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

                      Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
                      Star8

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Check out NEF/H&R Handi-Rifles

                        Can be had for ~200-250 or so, in any caliber you choose.

                        Single shot, dead simple, dead reliable!

                        You can be outfitted w/ rifle and scope for <$400, and still have money left over for ammo!

                        Also, check used racks and gun shows. I've seen many bolt and semi-auto setups w/ scopes for $200-250... 30-06 and you can take anything on the NA Continent...

                        Of course, I'm partial to my Win94 30-30 I bought used for $175...



                        Island Boy
                        Oh I wish I was there tonight on Jost Van Dyke Sipping on some Foxy's Firewater rum

                        Or kickin' back with Ivan With all my friends down in the islands

                        Wouldn't take much for me to up and run To another life somewhere in the sun

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by star8 View Post
                          Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

                          Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
                          Star8
                          ????? If you are going to a place where you rent a rifle from the guide who will also carry it, four words......

                          Find A Different Guide....

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Hey, you're in luck

                            This just came up for sale...

                            Hemmingway's .577 nitro express elephant gun for sale...



                            That'd take a NA Elk, I'm sure of it...



                            Island Boy...

                            p.s. - I bet you could get your guide to carry it, too...
                            Oh I wish I was there tonight on Jost Van Dyke Sipping on some Foxy's Firewater rum

                            Or kickin' back with Ivan With all my friends down in the islands

                            Wouldn't take much for me to up and run To another life somewhere in the sun

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                              ????? If you are going to a place where you rent a rifle from the guide who will also carry it, four words......

                              Find A Different Guide....

                              Huntfish I have never been to an Elk Farm/Ranch- alway tried to elk hunt like "Davy Crockett". However, as hunting lands have become scarce stocked elk farms and ranches or 1000 acre plus fenced in wildlife plantations is the future of modern hunting. It has been and is available now for everyone. All you need is a few hours and some cash. 100% success rate and every one comes home a winner with a trophy, meat and tanned hide to brag on. No gun, no shoes, no problem. Jared Darnel can rent a nice rifle, a bullet or two and even a cowboy hat.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by star8 View Post
                                Huntfish I have never been to an Elk Farm/Ranch- alway tried to elk hunt like "Davy Crockett". However, as hunting lands have become scarce stocked elk farms and ranches or 1000 acre plus fenced in wildlife plantations is the future of modern hunting. It has been and is available now for everyone. All you need is a few hours and some cash. 100% success rate and every one comes home a winner with a trophy, meat and tanned hide to brag on. No gun, no shoes, no problem. Jared Darnel can rent a nice rifle, a bullet or two and even a cowboy hat.

                                You are gravely mistaken if you think high fence hunting is the future of modern hunting.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X