No announcement yet.

What rifle should I get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by _Cold_; 02-14-14, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I'm a 308 fan I have taken White tails at close to 500 yards with no problem. I have been very pleased with the ballistic performance. stuff 282.jpg

Comment

Scope Mount

If you get the Tikka I highly recommend you get the Game Reaper lightweight one piece mount. Install it yourself with the included allen wrench with no need for lapping. I read mixed reviews on the rings Tikka includes with the rifle and since I have a 30mm scope I never even tried them.

I used the high mount for my 3-12x56 and have around 1/8" of barrel clearance. Probably could have snuck by with a medium height.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-30mm...nt-P41358.aspx

If you want to go QD I can tell you about using one of these in a few weeks:

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rai...nt-P45932.aspx

They also make these for Savage, but I can't speak for them.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-1-Sc...nt-P41539.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by star8 View Post
          Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
          Star8
          I'm confused. My new BFF Jared's previous post states:
          Originally posted by Jared Darnell View Post
          Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to Montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.
          It's been a long time since I was in Montana, but way back then, elk were a pretty common local species. One idea you had did pique my interest.

Jared, if you're anywhere near the Bitteroot, I could be your friend, and you could borrow my 30-06 when I come to visit.

Comment

I am chill didnt mean to sound like a jerk
            Originally posted by tommyking View Post
            Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Darnell View Post
              I am looking for a rifle for elk, I'm thinking 30-06 or 7mm mag. I really like the browning X bolt and A bolt but I am not a rich man. Any suggestions for a rifle that i should be looking for, either new or used, that won't break the bank?
              What would be the rifle equilivent of the remington 870 express shotgun (i.e. reliable and affordable?)
              Thanks
              Marlin XL7 (long action calibers) or XS7 (short action calibers)

Comment

Go with an Automatic

Regardless of calibre I would recommend an AUTOMATIC. Can't tell of the times when having rapid follow-up shots was to my advantage. Personally for big game, ie; N GA hogs, whitetail & bear, my go to rifle is a 30-06 Remington 7400 Carbine with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44mm scope. Five shots with one chambered. Still, I've laid down a lot of hog with my .308 Winchester Model 7 modified with a muzzle brake and Leupold VX-3 III 3.5-10x50mm scope. She is sweeeettt! has the recoil of a .22. LOL!

Comment

I can't believe it took me this long to see this thread! My family loves elk hunting. I've harvested 3 bulls in Colorado with a Browning BAR in 30-06 and absolutely love the gun and calibur. I also have a Browning a-bolt in .300 Win Mag which you would think the better elk gun but I prefer the BAR. The BAR can be a little pricey but you might can pick up a good used one. I know others have enforced shot placement and I do agree, but having opportunity for a fast follow up shot is nice too. I shoot the lightest calibur in my family. My brother hunts with a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag and has hrvested 2 bulls and my father hunts with a Browning BAR in .338 and has also harvested 2 bulls. So a diverse calibur group. The last time we went I guided my buddy and he got one with a 7mm short Mag with the BAR long trak.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Rockhopper View Post
                    Regardless of calibre I would recommend an AUTOMATIC. Can't tell of the times when having rapid follow-up shots was to my advantage. Personally for big game, ie; N GA hogs, whitetail & bear, my go to rifle is a 30-06 Remington 7400 Carbine with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44mm scope. Five shots with one chambered. Still, I've laid down a lot of hog with my .308 Winchester Model 7 modified with a muzzle brake and Leupold VX-3 III 3.5-10x50mm scope. She is sweeeettt! has the recoil of a .22. LOL!
                    SEMI-Automatic. Automatics are illegal firearms to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                      SEMI-Automatic. Automatics are illegal firearms to hunt with.
                      I'm thinking he probably meant auto-loading.

The problem with an auto-loader, semi-automatic, whatever you wanna call it, usually boils down to operator headspace. The bolt needs to slam forward when it's chambering a round. The natural tendancy is to ease the bolt forward to avoid making noise, the result is the firearm isn't fully in battery. You squeeze the trigger and nothing happens.

There ain't much advantage to a quick follow up shot if you can't get off the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Egg Sucking Leach View Post
                        I'm thinking he probably meant auto-loading.

The problem with an auto-loader, semi-automatic, whatever you wanna call it, usually boils down to operator headspace. The bolt needs to slam forward when it's chambering a round. The natural tendancy is to ease the bolt forward to avoid making noise, the result is the firearm isn't fully in battery. You squeeze the trigger and nothing happens.

There ain't much advantage to a quick follow up shot if you can't get off the first round.
                        I have no ill will against semi's but for accuracy, you'll be better off with a bolt action with consistent bullet seating. Also, semi's can be a PIB in extreme freezing temps when the mechanism freezes. Most folks don't know how to breakdown a semi for proper treatment with dry graphite.

Comment

One GOOD Shot=Good Day, Two+ BAD shots=Bad Day

When I hunted with the Loreauville Hunting Club in south Louisiana you had over 50 hunters using everything from shotguns to BARs.

What I observed is that 99% of all deer harvested were killed with ONE SHOT. It didn't matter if it was a 14 year old with #4 buck from a 20 gauge or a fifty year old with 300 Win Mag from a BAR.

Everytime someone shot more than once we would spend an hour looking for blood and if we did find blood we would spend another three hours trying to track it without ever finding the deer.

Every year there was at least one or two deer harvested that had a scar from being previouslly wounded.

The ONLY time I can recall soemone killing a deer on a second shot (and in this case the fourth) was Booger, Gator's son, who used a 30-30 Marlin lever action with open sights on a deer at 100 yards in the marsh that was running from the dogs. I consider that more luck than skill, but he did get him. I was pissed because I had a shotgun and the deer was about 100 yards from me and coming my way.

What this data tells me is "Its not the arrow, Its the indian" that makes the kill.

Get a gun, any gun. Then practice with it, practice with it, practice with it. When the time comes and you squeeze the trigger. You will do it with so much confidence that taking a second shot never enters your mind.

Comment

Well, there is something to be said about big game hunting with a massive chunk of lead! I shot a deer in upstate New York many years ago with my trusty Remington 870 Special Field 12 gauge. I hit the deer from about 30 yards out using a Rottweil Brenneke rifled slug, and it looked like someone had hit that deer upside the head with a baseball bat when the slug hit him. He dropped to the ground right where he was standing!
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

[quote=huntfish;634717]I have no ill will against semi's but for accuracy, you'll be better off with a bolt action with consistent bullet seating.quote]

I beg to differ with the BAR and a BOSS system! We have some serious competition between family members and have done alot of shooting in our day. My BAR has shot tac for tac right next to my fathers Sendero. Made him so mad he went out and bought 2 BARS since

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                                Most folks don't know how to breakdown a semi for proper treatment with dry graphite.
                                First time I've heard of using dry graphite, so I guess you can add me to that list. Way back in Basic Training at Ft. Sill, my kindly, understanding, gentle, and very patient Drill Sergeants suggested a very light coat of LSA applied with a shaving brush might be appropriate. That was several decades ago, so I may not be up to speed on the latest technology.

Graphite makes sense, though. It also works great for locks that are a bit sticky. WD-40 works fine on locks to about 25F, depending on relative humidity. Below that, it just gums up the works.

You'll use a very colorful vocabulary when you get to your hunting lease in 15F weather and find that one of your partners has sprayed the lock with WD-40.

Comment

Working...
                                X