What rifle should I get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egg Sucking Leach View Post
    First time I've heard of using dry graphite, so I guess you can add me to that list. Way back in Basic Training at Ft. Sill, my kindly, understanding, gentle, and very patient Drill Sergeants suggested a very light coat of LSA applied with a shaving brush might be appropriate. That was several decades ago, so I may not be up to speed on the latest technology.

Graphite makes sense, though. It also works great for locks that are a bit sticky. WD-40 works fine on locks to about 25F, depending on relative humidity. Below that, it just gums up the works.

You'll use a very colorful vocabulary when you get to your hunting lease in 15F weather and find that one of your partners has sprayed the lock with WD-40.
    You ought to hear the language of someone who loaded their clip in the rifle at camp, only not to be able to cycle a round when it was needed due to freezing temp.

There are many good dry lubricants on the market. Break Free is what I use.

Comment

Good calibers to use

I'm originally from Arizona and hunted a lot of elk. You don't need a magnum to hunt elk. The 30-06 is plenty. My 30-06 is a Remington 700. I've had the magnums before. Very expensive to shoot. I also have a .280 Thompson Center single shot that has as good if not better ballistics than a .270. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the three calibers listed above for elk. It's all in shot placement and using a good quality bullet. Save your money and shoulder and get the 30-06 or .280. Practic, practice, practice.............

Comment

You know what they say about opinions.

Having guided for and hunted elk, mule deer, bears, as well as your everyday whitetail, I have seen just about everything you can imagine.

Don't under-gun yourself with something like a .243. I have read all of the posts about shot placement and practice blah blah blah. All of that should go without saying. Every shot is different, every critter is different, and every day is different. If you have a perfect broadside shot lined up and there is a twig you don't see, or the animal turns at the last nano second you're in for a long day.

By the same respect, no need to go to the other end of the spectrum either. As a guide, I always liked to see hunters come into camp with enough gun to compensate for the unforseen as well as their bull or buck fever. The end goal is to be able to hit hard at a long distance and break the animal down. A high of center shoulder shot always does the trick but you won't get that shot every time. If you are going to hunt large bears, moose, and elk a .338 mag is great. But, you don't need to tote that cannon for whitetails and muleys.

I say for versatiltiy get on the high end of the middle. .30-06, 7mm mag, 7mm-08, and .308 all work very well.

Bolt action for accuracy and reliability.
        Fishing Vicariously Through Others

Comment

I think two Balinese are the natural choices for elk, maybe 3.

The main two are 30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum. I think the 30-06 is great because you have so many choices in bullet weight in the 308 caliber. From 55 all the way up to 225. The 7mag is great because the 284 bullet is an overall great bullet. You can't get as heavy of bullets in 284, but for the size, no bullets perform better. A 180 grainer is a great elk bullet.

The last one I would consider is the 280. It shoots the same bullet as the 7 mag, but is nit a belted magnum cartridge. It is slightly larger than a 270, which is my favorite whitetail round.

As for manufacture, everybody has their favorite. Mine is the new Winchester Model 70. Here is my newest one, a Featherweight Deluxe in 243.

Comment

Wait for the Right Shot

regardless of calibre, knowing your range, & having your set-up right...waiting for the right shot is everything. calibre is not as important as a well placed shot. as always when dealing with mother nature, you can't fight agin her, you gotta work with her and wait on her to give you the right opportunity. here in the mountains an animal that runs can become unrecoverable so quickly that you got to know you're gonna lay'em down and fast. that's y i love my 30-06 automatic "hog stopper",lol!
            Last edited by NC Rockhopper; 03-15-11, 10:19 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Working...
            X